Chapala.com Webboard

Questions About Ajijic/North Shore Chapala Assisted Living

Hola Xena,

Yes, I figured as much. The question is why it was programmed that way. I'm trying to like all the replies to my post as a way of thanking people. I don't know why a programmer would want to prevent that. My guess is that there's some kind of 24 hour limit since it started happening last night and I couldn't do any likes this morning either. Saludos!

You may want to look at Abbey Field in Ajijic.. I know nothing about retirement homes hee but I know a man who went ther eafter he suffered a stroke. He liked it very much as he could be as independent as he wanted to , even had his little dog with him bit could have help too.. He ended up very happy fell in love there got married and moved out and now live withhis new family.

My mother is 96 and live in a place like Abbey Field in France, she loves t and complain when we go and visit because it takes time away from her scrabble games and little trips with her friends..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmh said:

You may want to look at Abbey Field in Ajijic.. I know nothing about retirement homes hee but I know a man who went ther eafter he suffered a stroke. He liked it very much as he could be as independent as he wanted to , even had his little dog with him bit could have help too.. He ended up very happy fell in love there got married and moved out and now live withhis new family.

My mother is 96 and live in a place like Abbey Field in France, she loves t and complain when we go and visit because it takes time away from her scrabble games and little trips with her friends..

Hola BMH!

I had thought about Abbeyfield, but it seems like it's geared toward people who are more independent than my mother. That said, as long as I'm in Ajijic, it's probably worth at least a call or visit. Thanks for the thoughts and have a great day!

23 minutes ago, Kim G said:

Hola BMH!

I had thought about Abbeyfield, but it seems like it's geared toward people who are more independent than my mother. That said, as long as I'm in Ajijic, it's probably worth at least a call or visit. Thanks for the thoughts and have a great day!

Abbeyfield is located on the Ajijic Malecon which runs along the lakefront.  The only downside is that it's also across from the skateboard park and the entertainment stage, so noise might be a problem. However, it's lakeside location is great for walking and enjoying the park.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bmh said:

By all means  check out Abbeyfield,  but it is an indepentant living place. I also understand it has a  long waiting list and accommodation cost 8,000 to 18,000pesos all Inclusive

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions here. 

I went to Ajijic on the 12th and interviewed 7 Assisted Living/Nursing Home facilities. Most seemed reasonably solid, though there were about 3 standouts. I'm debating how much I want to say publicly about them, either here or on my blog. But if anyone has questions, PM me and I'll tell you what I know. 

The search was surprisingly exhausting, and I came down with some kind of flu/bronchitis toward the end of my trip and I've been laid up here for about 4 days. While I'm still coughing, I'm much better. That's why I've been so late to follow up on this post. 

In any case, thanks again, and please PM me if I can in any way be of assistance. 

Saludos,

Kim G  

www.gringosuelto.wordpress.com

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here it is, a year later, and I'm looking for the same information. My husband is 80, and needs more help than I can give  him in our home as I am younger, still working, and trying to clean up our house to sell. I'm stuck in a situation where I can't do anything as long as I am encumbered with out New Hampshire house, and its thousands of pounds of HIS collections.  Last year I moved him into a care facility in Thailand, and it's more or less worked out... but Thailand is so hot, and so far away that I want to see if its possible to move him to the Lake Chapala area. It's not a situation of my dumping an elderly person in a home -- I realize that happens not only in Mexico, but also the US and Thailand.  It comes down to the US health care system does not provide much of an alternative. We have too much money for him to qualify for Medical, which would pop in after the 3 months Medicare allows, and the laws have now changed where they can attach your home and personal property to cover nursing care costs. Not a big deal, as we don't have kids -- but we need to have the money stretch out long enough to cover my care. That's the problem.  I think the issue of nursing home care is going to get worse, as we're all getting older, and many more are having problems taking care of themselves or their parents. 

Can you share the cost you are currently  paying..my guess is dependent on the type of care required you can expect to pay $1,200 to $2,600 usd a month plus meds and diapers. Because of the demand nursing facilities are growing  over night like mushrooms,  but not sure how many are licensed 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:03 PM, lakeside7 said:

By all means  check out Abbeyfield,  but it is an indepentant living place. I also understand it has a  long waiting list and accommodation cost 8,000 to 18,000pesos all Inclusive

Abbeyfield is no more, as I understand.  It was sold.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Abbeyfield is no more, as I understand.  It was sold.

Abbeyfield was an independent living place..it was recently   reorganized and now the casita are being rented for $750 a month  and they hope to rent the main house for $2,250/2,300 per month 

So much for their early plans for selling the complete complex and investing  the money

I have a friend whose mother is in the nursing home in San Juan.   Ohana, I think the name is.   Her mother has dementia and several other ailments.  She was not walking at all before she put her in there.  Now her mother is not argumentative, walks around and is doing very well.   My friend highly recommends this place.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Roo said:

Hi, 

What was your solution to care?  I am in the similar situation.  Care near me in Placer County Ca. is $11,000 per month for an average facility.  I hope you were successful.

As this was a post from 2018 chances are you won't get a response from the original poster who seems to have relocated to Mexico City.
You could go to Lakeside Care Registry https://aclakeside.com/TCR.asp?fbclid=IwAR3dRCfHAzMF30_GZ65druJX77geQX_ULBFAKziBzK_CijKfrxOFkoDHicA

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 5:54 PM, Kim G said:

Hola Gringal!

Thanks for the info, particularly on Chapala. I certainly plan to give either lakeside or GDL a try for a few months, and definitely plan to be around for the initial months of my mother's transition. 

As for me, I'm just a big-city boy by nature. That's my biggest objection to living lakeside. I loved the hustle and bustle of Mexico City, all the people, museums, restaurants, activities, and general craziness going on at all hours. Here I'm in Redding, CA, a beautiful small city nestled in the transition zone between the northern tip of the Sacramento Valley and the mountains. We are surrounded with beautiful mountains, lakes, streams, and loads of outdoor stuff. It's beautiful, but it's just not for me. However, that said, I will certainly give the lakeside a chance and see what happens. Assuming my mother is willing to go there at all. 

Saludos and thanks again!

If you live on the N and W of GDL it is not that hard to get to the area between Jocotepec and Ajijic where some of the facilities are located.  We have an apartment for our Oaxaca students located just several blocks outside of Chapalita in an area called Ciudad de Los Niños and it is very clean, nice, well located and still affordable.  They have numerous options for quickly getting to centro or to the great shopping at Galerias or along Lopez Mateos.

If I were a young person I would think I'd like living in GDL.  Our girls sure do, the oldest will graduate in May and is planning on staying there.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:15 PM, Kim G said:

Wow! I've got 120 views on this post and not a single opinion??? Really, anything would help, including names of places that I don't have listed. 

Please help! Thanks!

-Mi Casita in San Antonio, its nice and well run. Josefina runs that place and her English is okay. Nursing Home Lake Chapala in Riberas is also well run, and looks more like a nursing home we are accustomed too. Rudy runs that place and speaks excellent English.

-From Judy; My friend Gloria has had very good care at Casa Nostra that is just one block up the mountain from Mom's Deli.  

Phone: 331 292 0739. The owner/director is Dilia. Leti, Jay's girlfriend thought it was a very nice facility.  

-There are 2 Ohana's in San Juan Cosala-one is a regular retirement home with a huge lan on the lakeshore the other is for memeory car.  I have a list of most of the  homes but I have just moved twice and have not come across it yet. I will oost it when I do.