Chapala.com Webboard

fountain cleaning

The water coming from the street at our casa in Ajijic has had lots of sediment in it this past year (more than the last 4 years)- our fountain filter is functioning but can't collect all the sediment. The only way we have been able to clean it is to drain it and start over. A small vacuum thing you connect to a hose to that we bought is picking up some debris on the bottom, but not working well for the sediment. The fountain is two levels & 8 ft across on the bottom level. Looking for maintenance ideas!!, thoughts about cleaning equipment & where it may be purchased lakeside (if possible). Thanks!

Hmm. I had a 3 level fountain for years. I added a small chlorine puck occasionally for algae and mosquito control. When I got a bit dirty I would drain it (about once a month), hose it down, scrub it and fill it up again. My drain was near the bottom so I could push the dirt towards it with a broom.

Tried an in-line water filter- fountain water was looking sparkling clean. Then we put in chlorine tabs and the water turned an orange color! A Mexican friend said that will happen when copper is present in the water when you put in chlorine tabs. We heard some people use white vinegar instead of chlorine tabs, but not about how much to use (our fountain is 8' across at the bottom and has one 2nd level) This year has been by far the most problematic in the last 7 yrs. for our fountain! Thanks all for the tips! If anyone knows about how much vinegar to use and how often you need to add more???

Archived