Chapala.com Webboard

We are ready to adopt a dog!

Please do come to the Ranch and Lucky Dog to see what we have. The Ranch had more medium to large dogs, Lucky Dog, more smaller dogs.

Reality check. We don't know if the dogs are housebroken. IF the dog was previously owned by a gringo there is a slightly better chance since more gringo-owned dogs are kept inside but this is a generality only. House breaking a dog is not difficult with a bit of patience and persistence.

Unless the dog is an owner relinquish, we have no idea if they are cat-friendly. A shelter where I volunteered NOB would place a cat in a large carrier or crate and see how the dog responded. Ideal was a dog who looked at the cat with a bit of friendly interest. Unacceptable was a dog who lunged or barked at the cat. 

Barbara and Fred -- YES  YES  YES  biggest issue will be if the dog is cat friendly or will want to chase / kill the cat.  Sight hound breeds are the worst for that (high prey-driven  level), as can  be some (certainly not all) dogs rescued from the streets where they learned to chase cats for fun or food.

If you give me an idea of  breed preference (if any) and SIZE, will see if I can help.  Know of some dogs privately seeking forever homes.

Thanks for your offer. My wife is trying to replace a dog we lost. He was with us since he was a pup and grew up with our two cats.

We are very open to a rescue which can be any friendly breed...size medium. We prefer an older dog since they are less likely to be adopted.

I have never had a problem teaching a rescue the cat was not an enemy. Usually when a new dog comes in it ignores the cat as it has too many other things to adjust to. By the time it is feeling more at home it is used to the cat. There have been times I have had to admonish a new dog and say no when it gets overly intrigued by the cat, but have never had a chase through the house. Introduce them slowly if necessary and have the dog on a leash. It will work out.

I adopted a four or five year old dog from the shelter that moved and became Lucky Dog. She had been on the street before that. She thought cats were for chasing. Here’s what I was advised by a dog trainer to do. Put the cats in a kennel or safe place where they can be seen and sniffed. Allow dog to sniff around until everyone is calm. Leash the dog and let the cats out. Keep the dog on a leash at all times in the house and correct chase impulse. I had the dog attached to me for four days or so. I had a baby gate in my bedroom doorway at a height the cats could go under but dog could not. My bedroom was the safety zone. Dog went into the bathroom when I left the house and at night. For another four or five days I let the dog roam with the cats but had the leash on her. If she got excited I could step on the leash and was back in control. After two weeks there was no more chase impulse. 

I left dog and cats together in the house alone. I went to the market and returned in about 20 minutes. My most skeptical cat and the new dog were both curled up on the love seat when I got home. That was six years ago and we are still good. 

I would strongly suggest bringing the cat to the Ranch in a carrier. We can put the dog and cat (in carrier) in the fenced play yard and get a good idea of the dog's response.

I have had a dog for a few months (a foster Corgi) who absolutely hated cats. I never was able to convince him the cat wasn't his sworn enemy and the cat was very dog friendly. She had been exposed to a series of foster dogs but the one dog must have had a very bad cat experience. I would never have totally trusted that dog unsupervised with a cat.

Do check with Natasha, she is a good source for owner relinquish dogs.

There is a dog which a lady rescued, being advertised on Facebook as needing a home.  She looks medium sized and sounds fantastic.  Here is her ad:

Miss Maya is still looking for her forever home. We are going to be moving again, and the house is much smaller. That is only one of the reasons I can't keep her.
She would do much better in a home with children to play with or another playful dog to keep her company, my Chihuahuas just aren't interested in playing.
She's a little love bug, smart as can be, and figured out how to open the screen doors here in the house within days of arriving. She is crate trained and doesn't make a sound when you lock her in. She loves to chew pigs ears, and plays gently with her stuffies.
She has been spayed, and vaccinated.
She can be flown to Canada or the US.
Wont someone please adopt her, or share, share , share and lets find her a home!

Dog needs home.jpg

Housebreaking is not difficult.  No rolled up newspaper or hitting needed.  This is the cruel way to do it.  I have had three dogs in my lifetime, housebroken and well obedience trained.

Also, please read up about the cancer epidemic in dogs and cats.  We just watched a documentary put on by expert vets in this field.  The causes are the toxins in the commercial pet food and environmental factors, both which can be remedied.  Most vets don't know enough and the problem is they make money on the food they sell, so there is a conflict of interest there.

Archived