Chapala.com Webboard

Southern Sisters Restaurant

heidinrick

I apologize Wookiee if my post made you feel “ lowly and uncivilized “ that was not my intention.Traveling extensively around the world as a chef with food and wine being my main interest I have learned to check my Chefs ego at the door and enjoy the experience for where and what  it is .....if it’s really bad I tend to order another bottle of wine ,that seems to help erase some of the negatives and make the experience a little more enjoyable..” Carpe Diem “...... P S raftterbr , the idea of serving any quality liver product well done should be abhorrent to a chef..perhaps however that’s the way in Oklahoma !

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect Wookie's tongue was firmly in his cheek .  And yes, Southern style cooked liver n' onions is not ever bloody.   The best of that dish is served at Cocinart.  It's a friend's favorite and she's tried it all over the world.  Personally, I'd rather have the chicken fried steak, cooked fast and furious in its own trimmed off fat, smoking up the kitchen.

Heidi and I went yesterday and I debated whether or not to post this. Our experience was completely underwhelming! The venue is beautiful but, that's where the "beauty" stops. Ordered our drinks (ice tea and a coke) waited about 10 minutes for the coke. The tea was served immediately. Heidi asked for coke "normal" and the waitress tried to convince her that menus azucar was regular coke. I ordered the southern fried chicken and asked for mashed potatos (in Spanish) at least 3 or 4 times. Heidi ordered a burger which was ok. When my chicken arrived, I got french fries. The batter, which should be golden brown, was sort of tan and the chicken was red around the bone...obviously not cooked long enough. The service, or lack of, was terrible. The key to success in a restaurant is consistantly high quality food and excellent customer servive. Obviously, they didn't get the memo. Won't be returning any time soon! Too many good places from which to choose. I almosr forgor, $437 including 2 pieces of pie to go.

Gringal"..........I have to laugh at the phrases “ southern style “ and  “not ever” ,I presume you’re  referring more to the diner /Cracker Barrel style restaurants . Most of the restaurants I’ve worked ,owned and dined at in New Orleans , Charleston, Savanna and Florida serve mid-rare calves liver and onions unless specified ...but there again I could be comparing apples to oranges.

38 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Gringal"..........I have to laugh at the phrases “ southern style “ and  “not ever” ,I presume you’re  referring more to the diner /Cracker Barrel style restaurants . Most of the restaurants I’ve worked ,owned and dined at in New Orleans , Charleston, Savanna and Florida serve mid-rare calves liver and onions unless specified ...but there again I could be comparing apples to oranges.

I think you are comparing fruits, and I'm not referring to diners or other low end restaurants.   I'm speaking of my experiences of mid level eating establishments on the CA coast in Los Angeles, San Francisco and the Peninsula, since I've missed the "pleasure"of dining or living in the Southern part of the U.S.A...not that there is anything "wrong" with it or its favored cuisine.  Its a matter of taste, and if you prefer bloody liver....enjoy.

BTW, your posts are coming across as put down attempts.

Note to Ian,  Although I am not a chef I have traveled all over the world and had many meal experiences.  I have owned 5 restaurants and attended food health classes and received my certification.  I agree liver is healthy for you and may be served pink but never bloody.  The liver is the body's filter and processes poisons and excretes biles.  It may also retain any toxic materials the animal may have eaten and could contain parasites.   Bloody liver should never be eaten.  In parts of europe where bloody liver is consumed they are now experiencing clenbuterol which is being traced to the bloody liver.  I am also a cattle rancher and I can tell you many toxic materials are being given to sick cows.  If I have a sick cow I give it 3 or 4 shots and send it to be butchered.

As an anemic child, I ate a lot of liver. I was also a child of cattle ranchers. We were on friendly, first name basis, with our dinner and, knowing what we knew, that liver was cooked, not bloody. My mother was not a world -traveled chef like Ian nor was I a world traveled diner like Ian but I have since traveled and dined widely. The liver - when I order it -  is always cooked through. 

It’s a shame...you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink...most of you probably don’t eat sushi ,wonderful ceviche , octopus...not to mention the wonderful Mexican tongue . I could go on but....move to Mexico and eat chicken fried steak and well done burgers just remember you are what you eat .

8 hours ago, heidinrick said:

"Heidi asked for coke "normal" and the waitress tried to convince her that menus azucar was regular coke...."

Rick, I'm just curious.  What does that part of your post mean?

After all the "slams" and a few"mine was good" my wife did not feel like going out so I decided to try out Southern Sisters yesterday late afternoon.

My welcome was great, I have known the head waiter for several years at a variety of restaurants and my menu and drink arrived promptly. My chicken fried steak arrived in a reasonable length of time. All in all, for a new restaurant, I felt it was a pretty good effort and I have been known to slam the odd eatery  for any variety of reasons. The grilled shrimp, fries and salad that I took home for my wife were, she said, also good. (she ate the whole thing).

They will fill a niche here Lakeside, one gets tired of the same old, same old and wants a little variety now and then.

7 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

It’s a shame...you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink...most of you probably don’t eat sushi ,wonderful ceviche , octopus...not to mention the wonderful Mexican tongue . I could go on but....move to Mexico and eat chicken fried steak and well done burgers just remember you are what you eat .

Even more of the "put down" nonsense.  You can lead a man to reason, but you can't make him think.

"Most of us probably" don't eat chicken fried steak and well done burgers or there wouldn't be such a variety of restaurants in business here.

Variety is the spice of life.  This is a pretty health conscious bunch around here but that doesn't mean some of us don't like the occasional non healthy but oh so tasty "bad" food splurge on occasion.  Any number of studies have shown that, like the occasional cigar, it won't kill you or have any material impact on your health. 

OTOH I know a number of people who have gotten quite ill eating uncooked anything.  That I avoid.

Gringal....the lady doth protest too much me thinks....I don’t consider the remarks put downs  ,but more “ tongue in cheek commentaries “  My wife however does tend to agree with you . After thousands of posts I’m somewhat surprised you take them personally .  I prefer to call it indirect sarcasm...the product of my English sense of humour plus over fifty years in international kitchens.You have however achieved your desired result....I am far too busy to participate in back and forth meaningless banrter so in the future I will probably only address absolute idiocies and post the odd positive review.

2 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Gringal....the lady doth protest too much me thinks....I don’t consider the remarks put downs  ,but more “ tongue in cheek commentaries “  My wife however does tend to agree with you . After thousands of posts I’m somewhat surprised you take them personally .  I prefer to call it indirect sarcasm...the product of my English sense of humour plus over fifty years in international kitchens.You have however achieved your desired result....I am far too busy to participate in back and forth meaningless banrter so in the future I will probably only address absolute idiocies and post the odd positive review.

The difference is that British humour is amusing and produces a positive reaction.   Doesn't look like that happened.😉

I had brunch today at a place with a very qualified chef and I asked him what he thought about serving bloody liver.  He was appalled.

He just keeps digging his hole deeper...........  A wise man once said when someone is making a fool of themself, just get out of the way.

"There is nothing (nothing!) that makes me grumpier and more prone to tears in the kitchen than overcooking liver. Liver, when cooked rare to medium rare, is so sweet and creamy, you could eat the leftovers cold, like pâté. But overcooked liver is so disappointing, so grainy and tough."

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-nasty-bis-on-not-overcooking-liver.html

Gringal...sorry just couldn’t let that one pass on a rainy Sunday....and what pray tell makes you think for a moment that you could possibly hava a clue what” a very qualified Chef “ is .Oh..he must have told you so  , what was I thinking ? Perhaps a little research is necessary try “So you wanna be a Chef “ by Anthony Bourdain may he Rest In Peace or the “The making of a Chef “ by Rhulman.Both will explain why it takes a Chef to know a Chef .I could count the real Chefs in our  town on one hand and have fingers to spare .

Archived