Chapala.com Webboard

Southern Sisters Restaurant

heidinrick

53 minutes ago, solajijic said:

I often think restaurants should take their new staff out to breakfast, lunch and dinner at several places over time that reflect good competent service.  Show them how it is done and what the standards should be for the new restaurant.

That could prove to be very difficult around here...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Computer Guy why always negative.  Breakfast - Moms has more than adequate service.  Several lunch places but the best would be Paninos.  Dinner - there are several depending on the style of service  you want - Adelitias, Tango, Elegante, Pale, Remy, Tecomintle.  The consistently best service around for us is Goshas.

If a server hasn't had the experience of sitdown middle-priced restaurant meals that are both good and bad experiences they haven't any frame of reference for the timing and flow of waiting table.

I didn't say it would be impossible, just difficult. According to Trip Advisor, there are at least 119 restaurants in Ajijic. The vast majority are disorganized and unprofessional. When I want to impress a visitor or even myself, I have a difficult time deciding where to go.

Then, for me personally, other things come into play that have nothing to do with service, per se. But that is a different topic.

We ate breakfast in this restaurant this morning. We did so in spite of the negative reviews and comments about the staff and the food preparation.

My wife was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia....I admit that doesn't make her an expert but she has certainly prepared and eaten a lot of southern cooking...both good and bad.

We arrived and were greeted, immediately and EVERY one of the staff and the owner spoke english....good english. The place is clean and bright and you have your choice of inside or garden location. The food came quickly and it was as ordered....there was no cheese added to the grits and none was requested. During our meal, the staff remained attentive and our coffee cups were kept full.  

I'm sure that none of you intended to hurt the future of this new restaurant and I hope you give it another chance or don't go if you believe that it was not up to par the 1st time so it probably won't be better in the future. Was it perfect...maybe, maybe not but it wasn't as bad as some have said.

We eat out a lot, that doesn't make us experts as some portray themselves, but I don't waste my money....this was worth a return trip for us.

Fred/Barbara

There are well framed pictures of Southern flowers hung on the white walls; a pleasant tile floor with solid tables and chairs; the roof in the main entrance is high and vaulted. 

If the food and service weren't good then no amount of backround would have helped...but we liked it all.

1 hour ago, barbara habacht said:

There are well framed pictures of Southern flowers hung on the white walls; a pleasant tile floor with solid tables and chairs; the roof in the main entrance is high and vaulted. 

If the food and service weren't good then no amount of backround would have helped...but we liked it all.

We had lunch with friends today who said they had a good meal at the Southern Sisters very recently.  They mentioned that the biscuits were outstanding........so it looks like the jury is out at present.

We've eaten there twice since they opened...once for breakfast and once for dinner.   For breakfast we had biscuits and gravy which were delicious.  For dinner my wife had the rib-eye and I had shrimp.  The steak was very flavorful and tender enough to be cut with a butter knife.  I had at least a dozen shrimp that were cooked and seasoned to perfection.  The only kink in the meal was I ordered sweet tea and was given unsweetened tea.  Other than that everything was wonderful.  The restaurant itself is beautiful, with both indoor and outdoor seating.  The wait-staff were all very attentive.  All in all we had two great meals, and intend to return soon.

I need some scissors, so I read all the reviews on Amazon: "Sharptest I've ever had" "Cuts better than anything in my whole life" "I've been searching forever, and this is it". Mixed in with "These things can't cut for a darn" "Talk about dull blades" "Blades are too far apart" "Would never buy from these guys again".

This restaurant has had reviews of its biscuits that called them both "unrisen muffins" and "outstanding". So once again, we'll have to find out for ourselves. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

Maybe they are quickly getting their act together.  Love the idea of a place that serves real old style American artery clogging chow. 

They are very open to suggestions from their customers.  So if you see something you don't like, or don't see something you would like, let them know.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, camillenparadise said:

Angus, where would one get a good hard green tomato around here?

You are persistent. I would assume from the same source as the almost green ones, just sooner. Be careful what you say or that locally grown air might be shaded.

Barbara Habacht, I am very glad to read your post.  However, every word I wrote in my post was true.  Of course, we can't speak to the fantastic biscuits because even though we ordered them we got warmed over mini corn muffins.  However, had we received the fantastic biscuits then they would have been soppy with the hot milk we were finally served as gravy.  I truly wish now that I had taken pictures as the blood was actually running around the inside rim of the plate when it was served the second time after being put back on the grill or however they cook it.  Maybe they got themselves straightened out in a hurry, maybe the cook didn't show up just like the waiter (bless his heart) didn't show up and we just happened to hit them on an extremely bad afternoon.  I happen to love delicious biscuits so, we ...on your recommendation will try them again.  I certainly do hope we find the outstanding meal that was described by diandlarry and I so hope the waiter can speak English or understand Spanish with a Texas accent.  The place itself is very nice and comfortable.  Also, diandlarry, we did tell and showed them everything I wrote in my post.  It was all on the table for them to see.  

Personally as a professional chef and restaurant owner I feel that right or wrong Wookiee’s review was way out of line . The idea that anyone who eats well done steer liver and “ country fried steak “is in a position to give a kiss of death review to a restaurant that has only been open a few days is not only a joke but is just plain wrong . By all means visit a new restaurant in it’s infancy if you must  but don’t write a scathing review ...your review will have prevented  others from giving it a chance.Just remember someone is putting their heart ,soul and finances into this endeavor . Taste is subjective  and mostly dependent on what you’ve been exposed to and where you’ve traveled...there is no one definitive.

Yes, I hope they are getting things together. Last Sunday with reservations for 8 was a disaster . First there was only one menu taped to a white board. No one could read it. Simeone should have thought of Xeroxing. One person never got served , until reminded several times. and we were all finished. The fish wasn't cooked.

Mummy shrimp ( no large shrimp) so it consisted of little shrimp in a line with a strip of bacon on the top.

Chicken Parmesan was a chicken patty fried ( no cheese or sauce). Beef that couldn't be chewed.There was something wrong with everyone's meal but mine. I understand new restaurants need some to adjust but anyone would know to stock up with a group of 8 people and who ever passes around a large white board for everyone to read?.  The sister was made aware of the issuers and said we didn't have to pay for the meals. Glad to hear some improvements. If they had just said we are out of the big shrimp, something else would have been ordered . . We felt obligated to pay for drinks and slipped a tip to the waiter. I do not know where in the meal chain decisions were made. Glad to hear some improvements. They just didn't seem to have any previous experience. Starting a restaurant with 3 meals  in the low season with special foods seems a little ambitious. But comments above seemed to indicate they are fast learners. At least for breakfast.I think we will give them a little more time.

Ian Greenwood, please note that I am not the only one that has had a really bad experience at this restaurant.  Also, please note that most (including me) are willing to give them some time to get it together.  Also, if a person that "eats country fried steak" is so lowly that they can not speak to their experience, then most people that will frequent this restaurant will in your mind be barred from speaking.  This is a "Southern" restaurant that is supposed to specialize in "Southern" food, of which chicken fried steak is a staple item.  So sorry that I am so lowly that I get sick at the sight of blood swimming in my plate and therefore can not eat rare meat like a civilized person.

I guess anyone that has been deeply involved in the restaurant business is going to take umbrage at a scathing review. But Wookie's story was damning of almost every single part of the experience, and AFAIAC... and I don't care where in the world you are... if you open a restaurant, you had damn well better make sure you are good at it. The experience of several people who have reviewed it poorly indicates that their heart (bless 'em) and soul is into making money, not into making a great experience for diners.

Personally, I have not provided negative reviews of many, many places after visiting them only once, because that might have just been the night there were one-time problems. But the disaster was so all-encompassing that it warranted public notice. And Wookie knows I have rarely taken her side, so now you know I am not pandering.

I have owned and opened 5 different restaurants.  Always before I opened I had a preopening with invited guests to sample the food and service.  Any problems were fixed before I opened to the public.  If this restaurant was not ready to open than they should not have.  You do not work your problems out with your customers as guinea pigs.  The public is unforgiving and many will never come back after a bad experience.  My restaurants were in Oklahoma and as a fringe southern state you had better have a good chicken fried steak or your out of business.  I spent 3 years in Australia and the first thing I ordered when I got back was chicken fried steak.  As for the bloody liver the health department in Oklahoma would have shut you down for serving a bloody liver. 

Archived