Chapala.com Webboard

Southern Sisters Restaurant

heidinrick

I don't have much information about this new restaurant. They are located in the house which is on the west side of the cemetary. Stopped by to look around and talked to one of the "sisters". She said they will be doing a "soft" opening tomorrow starting at 8:00 am. The only items we talked about for breakfast were hash browns, grits and biscuits and gravy....peeked my interest! We found out because a guy that used to work at our place stopped by our shop and told us. We think it will be breakfast, lunch and dinner. We just noticed we can see the place from our living room window...cool!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is just east of Smokehouse restaurant and that is just east of the La Huerta eventos that houses the Tues market. Hours are 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

We sort of ate dinner here last night.  There are too many "kinKs" to be worked out.  They need waiters and most importantly they need a cook that knows how to cook.  This may be longer than some want to read but others that are going there and spending over $150 for a meal might like to be careful.

It started with a waiter that spoke no English and couldn't seem to understand our Spanish.  To be fair he was a very young man ... still in his teens and we found out later that "Our waiter didn't show up today, bless his heart"

I was going to indulge in southern sweet tea so I ordered sweet tea and my husband ordered tea without sugar.  We both received tea without sugar.  When I told the waiter that I had ordered the sweet tea (it is listed on the menu and is much different than adding sugar and having it go to the bottom of the glass) ... he pointed to the packets of sugar on the table.  Okay, fine.

My husband was all geared up for some fried catfish.  There is fried fish on the menu but since it didn't say "catfish" I assumed that it wasn't.  So, we asked the waiter if it was catfish .."Oh, yes" was the answer in English no less.  When pressed about this he decided to go ask and came back with the information that, no, it was bassa.

We ordered chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, vegetables, gravy and biscuits; and, grilled liver and onions (well done... told him twice well done with NO BLOOD on the plate and he actually went off repeating "well done, well done, well done", baked potato, corn on the cob, and biscuit.

1.  The chicken fried steak came out chicken fried chicken, the mashed potatoes were extremely lumpy and a light orange color, there was no gravy or bisquits.  Asked for the gravy and they brought an Italian tasting tomato based sauce in a bowl.  When we told the waiter that this was not gravy and didn't they have cream gravy, he then brought out a beef brown gravy for the chicken.  Still no biscuits.  We ate the chicken fried chicken instead of sending it back even though that was what we had the day before.

2.  The liver was not cooked and still cool in the middle ... blood was all over the plate, the baked potato had been cooked hours earlier and stuck to the peeling so much that you could not cut it off ... was lukewarm from a microwave with a dollop of sour cream which made it even colder; the corn was not fully cooked and no biscuit.   Sent the liver back to be cooked well done.  It was then brought out by an American woman that spoke English and she was very sorry but was the liver now o.k. because the cook was afraid that it was going to be too hard to eat.  When I cut into it blood once again oozed out onto the plate.  I told the woman that we were just going to forget this ... no more cooking of the liver.  I asked if we could please have the biscuits and cream gravy and that would be sufficient for me at this point.  She is the one that then told me that the waiter had not shown up "bless his heart" and they were still trying to get the kinks out.   Fine.

3.  The biscuits and gravy were delivered.  The biscuits turned out to be cornbread instead of biscuits (you are supposed to be able to choose which one you want). I told the waiter that we ordered biscuits and were told that these were biscuits.  They were actually mini corn muffins that had not risen.  They were an off white color, flat (about 1/2 inch tall) and rubbery from being heated too long in the microwave.  The gravy was the consistency of milk (and, I am not exaggerating).  

The woman, along with a Mexican man that spoke English came to the table then to see how everything was.  I told them to please just bring our check that we were finished trying to find something that was edible.  I told and showed them all the things listed above and took a spoon and showed them that the gravy was warm milk.  She again said they had kinks to work out.  Fine.

They were not going to charge for the meal.  Since we had eaten the chicken fried chicken and drank the tea, we paid $200 pesos, tipped the waiter and left.  It will be a long, long time before we go back.

I will say that everyone was pleasant.  The woman is probably from the South somewhere because she has a Southern accent but I truly do not know if she ever learned what good southern food tastes like.  Until we saw and spoke to her we figured that this restaurant was owned and run by Mexicans who had been smart enough to pick up on the fact that a restaurant that advertised Southern cooking would be a big hit ... but didn't know the first thing about how to cook it.

The place is very nice and if they get the kinks out and the hammering and racket from continued remodeling is finished and you can sit down to a well cooked meal with a real waiter and no construction noise ... you will enjoy your meal.  When this happens for someone, please post it and we will stick our toe in the water again.  

Wookie, thanks for taking the time to tell us what happened, in just the right amount of detail (bless your heart).   Looks like it will take some time to get all that fixed, and you saved others from having a very disappointing experience. 😉

All I can say is "Wow".

No, I can also say this: why does it happen so often here that restaurants open, and specialize in something they know absolutely nothing about? And it's always expat owners.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

All I can say is "Wow".

No, I can also say this: why does it happen so often here that restaurants open that specialize in something they know absolutely nothing about? And it's always expat owners.

Because all they see is the $$$$$ Lakeside. 

Good ole Texas, where the tea is sweet and the accents are sweeter, summer starts in April, the front porches are wide and words are long, macaroni and cheese is a vegetable, BBQ is the state food, y'all is a proper pronoun, chicken is fried, biscuits come with gravy, everyone is honey, someone is always getting their heart blessed, and we are all "fixin" to do something!  God Bless Texas!!

Dear Lord!  I was driving by this restaurant about 5:00 pm this afternoon when 3 cars pulled in all at once.  There were about 8 cars total.  I wonder how this is going to go since there was only one single person there the same time we were yesterday and they couldn't handle our meal.

We went for  lunch a couple days ago.  The club sandwich was decent enough.  The cobb salad was not because it was all leafy lettuce and thin strips of meat and cheese, no egg and terrible dressing out of a cheap bottle.  Service was so bad.  We saw 4 different people before we got a menu or could order a drink.  The nice local girl who brought the silverware but no menu.  The young fellow who said hello and left to get a menu. The girl who came to take drink orders but had forgotten the menu.  The older fellow who came to bring the beverages at the same time the girl brought the menu.  I swear the sweetened ice tea had simple syrup in the bottom of it.  Unfortunately no one really knew what to do.  WE won't bother to go back even after a couple more weeks.  There is just too many new places to try and all the old standards to rely upon for a good meal.

I often think restaurants should take their new staff out to breakfast, lunch and dinner at several places over time that reflect good competent service.  Show them how it is done and what the standards should be for the new restaurant.

Archived