Chapala.com Webboard

I SOLVED MY INTERNET PROBLEM

I live in Jocotepec and Ilox will not give me service. I have a Telmex modem and on a good day I get 1.50 mbs. I have had AT&T as my cell phone provider for years and have on my phone 30 to 50 mbs  in Joco on my data. Now, AT&T offers a modem with WIFI only. There are a different plans the one I chose the plan where I purchased the modem for 2100 pesos and 350 pesos a month. I get 150 gigs a month at 10mbs speed. If I use more than 150 my speed drops to about 8 still a lot better than 1.50. So unlimited internet at reasonable price. After a month or so I will cancel my Telmex at 389 pesos. BTW just plug in the modem and WOW I have internet for my TVs desk top and phone also.

Jocotepec has a AT&T office but they keep saying next week for a month or more. I went to AT&T on Lopez Mateos by the Burger King. Took about an hour and lots of signatures.  

I don't know anything at all about ATT 4G/LTE/Whatever in Mexico, but here in California they can throttle performance, and they also charge for extra blocks of usage, which can prove quite costly.  I'd check my 'terms and conditions' very carefully. (I burn through about 1 TB/mo. due to video.)  Otherwise, congratulations!

Absolutely! Congratulations! Please be aware that location is everything. AT&T is not good everywhere. Before jumping in, you can purchase a 100 peso sim card for your smart phone and check the strength and consistency of the signal.

Did they give you this because you already had an ATT account? I hate Telcel, but do it month to month until fully moved down. Have been thinking a out changing, but hate the ATT company overall. Desperate until Ilox gets up and running. And... Are you obligated for a certain amount of time, like a year? Do they charge you monthly rent for the modem? Or included in the price? Thx.

I wanted to try this AT&T modem but I would have to purchase the modem first. I didn't know if the signal at my location was adequate. I decided to try a SIM card to determine speed and strength of the signal 📶 on my phone. My location was not adequate however the AT&T store was great! Saved myself an expensive tryout that would have been useless. 

13 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

Did they give you this because you already had an ATT account? I hate Telcel, but do it month to month until fully moved down. Have been thinking a out changing, but hate the ATT company overall. Desperate until Ilox gets up and running. And... Are you obligated for a certain amount of time, like a year? Do they charge you monthly rent for the modem? Or included in the price? Thx.

Different plans. One is with contract and 400 pesos a month. Mine is 2100 for modem and 350 a month. I have a month to month plan.  Yes location is everything. In Joco great strength San Juan Cosala is weak.

3 hours ago, tugwestend said:

I have a wi fi device that does take a sim card.   Wondering if could get a 100 pesos card from AT&T, check out the reception.   Live 2 km West of SJC, about 900' up on the mountainside.

Are you near Jaltepec? There I get good reception with AT&T.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:40 PM, utilitus said:

I don't know anything at all about ATT 4G/LTE/Whatever in Mexico, but here in California they can throttle performance, and they also charge for extra blocks of usage, which can prove quite costly.  I'd check my 'terms and conditions' very carefully. (I burn through about 1 TB/mo. due to video.)  Otherwise, congratulations!

The same deal here with the throttle back to 2 M after a given limit.

All AT & T Internet plans at Home are unlimited data. When you reach 150 GB of consumption, the navigation speed can change to 2 Mbps, in both plans 10 or 5 Mpbs (150 GB equals approximately 50 hrs of HD video or 200 hrs of SD video)

15 hours ago, Paco Loco said:

The AT&T wireless router has a cell tel transceiver to access the Internet and a WiFi router for LAN.  If you have good AT&T cell tel coverage at home it should work fine. 

If you have good AT&T cell tel coverage at home it should work fine. ---This is the main issue check the reception at home , I know if's great in the office....😏

6 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

If you have good AT&T cell tel coverage at home it should work fine. 

Funny, but when I go to San Juan Tecomatlán I get AT&T phone service but no data. I am not convinced that phone and data are on the same frequency.

I just came from the AT&T office in the Laguna mall and was told 2100 pesos for 5 down  I asked what the terms were but someone came in with a parcel and she went to talk to the gentleman and after 5 minutes I left.  

1 hour ago, sue said:

I just came from the AT&T office in the Laguna mall and was told 2100 pesos for 5 down  I asked what the terms were but someone came in with a parcel and she went to talk to the gentleman and after 5 minutes I left.  

That price seems high for the 5M.

49 ms

Download
9.92 Mbps

Upload
I have had my modem for a week now. I watch youtube in the evenings and have used about 12 gigs. I paid the 2100 plus I just got my factrura and they charged 385mnp. So far so good.

2 hours ago, sue said:

2100 ps is for the router. Service is 350 ps month for 10 Mbps service plan.

Archived