Chapala.com Webboard

Pemex Station To Avoid, You Tell Me.

Sunday I went east along the lake to eat and also wanted to fill my tank for an early morning trip to Guad. I have a Nissan March with a 41 ltr tank. It was not empty and was not flashing a low fuel tank. I stopped at the Pemex past Vista Del Lago and asked for a full with Magna. I watched to see it was at 000 and the attendant started the pump. I presented my credit card as usual and he put it into his handheld machine. I signed the slip without looking at it and left. My bank and its credit cards have an exceptional exchange rate and no foreign transactions fee. My bill was $47.94 USD.

Should one avoid that station?

Sorry: I guess I should have reread your post before answering. I guess I speed read what you posted and I thought you posted that the tank was empty and the light was flashing.  What is the price of Magna these days? The last time I checked it was almost 19 pesos per liter. Could the price of gas gone way up again?

11 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Sunday I went east along the lake to eat and also wanted to fill my tank for an early morning trip to Guad. I have a Nissan March with a 41 ltr tank. It was not empty and was not flashing a low fuel tank. I stopped at the Pemex past Vista Del Lago and asked for a full with Magna. I watched to see it was at 000 and the attendant started the pump. I presented my credit card as usual and he put it into his handheld machine. I signed the slip without looking at it and left. My bank and its credit cards have an exceptional exchange rate and no foreign transactions fee. My bill was $47.94 USD.

Should one avoid that station?

No. Go back a few more times just to make sure.

7 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

No. Go back a few more times just to make sure.

Why Al, I've made up my mind already? The question was rhetorical and was made to allow others to make up their own minds without slandering the station.

Is this the Pemex just before the first (functional) set of topes headed west?  I use that one for my moto and have not had a problem.  The last one that ripped me off quite noticeably was the one between the Joco bypass and El Molino on the route to Costco Lopez Mateos.

20 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Why Al, I've made up my mind already? The question was rhetorical and was made to allow others to make up their own minds without slandering the station.

Writing rhetorical questions on a web board is a great idea. Keep up the good work.

9 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Is this the Pemex just before the first (functional) set of topes headed west?  I use that one for my moto and have not had a problem.  The last one that ripped me off quite noticeably was the one between the Joco bypass and El Molino on the route to Costco Lopez Mateos.

No, I went east. It is just past Vista De Lago on the lakeside in Muni. Pocitlan.

4 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Writing rhetorical questions on a web board is a great idea. Keep up the good work.

Did you not notice that my "question" had no question mark?

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Someone posited on this board months ago, that if you buy only in $200 peso chunks, you cannot be cheated. I have not been able to see the logic in that statement.

Many people believe but it does not make sense.

Not in 200 peso chunks-  what I have read in a few different places is that you should buy in 10 litre amounts- 10 liters, 20 liters, etc, not "fill it up" or 200 peso amount. The reason given for this is that when they send people around to check for cheater gas stations, they fill containers that are 10 or 20 liters to see if the pump is set correctly. Apparently the cheater stations have some way of having it read correctly at 10 litres, 20 litres, but anything in between can be off. I pay attention to where the taxis fill up- I figure they know where to go and not go.

Yeah, but that doesn't make any more sense than 200 pesos. It would have to be "proper" for 10 litres, then somehow go off mark for the 11th, but back in line for the 20th? Nah. A gauge is either calibrated correctly or it's not.

The problem is that the meters are not calibrated correctly purposely for pesos and liters so no matter how much gas you get it may not be correct.

9 minutes ago, Floradude said:

$47.90 USD for a fill-up does not seem unreasonable.

For a 41 liter tank that is not empty? I bounced the charge with my credit card company and for the station, it may be bit of a hassle???

Let's see! If the gas price is $20 pesos per lt and I put into my tank 10 lt of gas and stop, the cost should indicate that I owe $200 pesos so far. If it shows more than $200 pesos, then the pump needs calibrating and you are being screwed.  Simple and anyone can do it in 15 seconds. 

2 minutes ago, hammerhead said:

Let's see! If the gas price is $20 pesos per lt and I put into my tank 10 lt of gas and stop, the cost should indicate that I owe $200 pesos so far. If it shows more than $200 pesos, then the pump needs calibrating and you are being screwed.  Simple and anyone can do it in 15 seconds. 

Makes no sense. How will one measure their 10 liters?

Archived