Chapala.com Webboard

New computer needed soon; where to buy?

Our old (eleven years) desktop is getting to an age where it is going to need replacing soon.  I am wondering if anyone locally sells a desktop with English keyboard and software?  Also, it would be handy to know what to expect in terms of cost to replace a desktop; by the way, I will  not need a monitor as mine is new.

This computer really impressed me. It is small (size of DVD box, silent (no fan, no moving parts), 5 year unconditional warranty, and extremely powerful graphics/computing speed. The three operatings systems, as you know, are Windows, Apple (iOS) and Linux. There are big changes coming to Windows, mostly involving monthly payments, rather than purchasing software. Linux, particularly Linux Mint now have a huge subcriber bases, even companies like Dell offer Linux installed laptops, etc. Linux Mint is the easiest to learn, of all the linux products. It is extremely stable and has a lot users who are computer hobbiests. I imagine it ships to Mexico. Eleven years, you are going to be amazed at the increase of speed and photographic quality of the graphics.

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/mintbox-2/

1 hour ago, J.Miller said:

Our old (eleven years) desktop is getting to an age where it is going to need replacing soon.  I am wondering if anyone locally sells a desktop with English keyboard and software?  Also, it would be handy to know what to expect in terms of cost to replace a desktop; by the way, I will  not need a monitor as mine is new.

I would first ask a couple of questions. 

What do want to do with the pc, for example e-mail, web browsing, gaming....  That will help determine what power of pc you need. 

Next, do you want the pc with you when you travel? A laptop with attached monitor can act like a desktop.

"Windows as a service" may be offered to businesses, but will not be offered to home users. Microsoft has been pushing this BS for years, since the advent of the "thin client" in 1993 for workdesks, and it has failed miserably every time. Adobe has seen a massive rise in piracy since PhotoShop went cloudpay. And who is ever going to buy a PC with Windows installed, with a little sign that says "Prepaid for one year only"? It will not happen, not in our lifetime.

I really like my Acer Chromebook for traveling and at home I connect it to a nice big monitor. I am obviously not a power user but for what I want it's perfect. Most everything is in the Cloud.

But Windows 10 is a lazy slug, it will drive you insane. I am amazed how many people discard the Linux Mint option without having never tried it. It is free you know, loaded with all the apps you will ever need. If installed on an 11 year old computer, it would run about the same as a Windows 7 machine, and you can toggle if you want Windows or Linux on the startup screen The Linux Mint box is about quarter the size of a laptop, if you are travelling. If you want a local Mexican technician to install Linux Mint/Windows on your old computer pm me. He is bilingual and speaks excellent Linux, and Raspberry too.

I purchased the computer I stll use from Hall Microcomputers in Guadalajara. They have a website, and the jefe, Hugo, has a weekend home at Lakeside. They also come to Lakeside twice a month, to provide service or deliver products.

Hugo brought this iMac 21“ desktop, with wireless keyboard (English option) and trackpad directly to my house, set it up and transferred my files.  The warranty was good in Mexico and the price was not more than in the USA; actually a bit less with a favorable exchange rate at the time. 

That was in 2011, and I have had no problems with this, or previous Apple products. I have updated the software, free, a couple of times, and continue to use the computer daily.

Go for it!  They are just off Glorieta Minerva, on Yañez, on the right, should you want to stop in.  Yes, they speak English. Ask for Clarisa, who is the most fluent.

I have two desk tops, one brought from the U.S. and one that was assembled for me by Bennos.  The latter was customized for my needs, very reasonable in price and for quite a long time I had the benefit of have the guy who built it right around the corner in case there were problems, which I never had. 

I also didn't have to buy stuff that was still good on my other computer like the monitor and a mouse.

Unless you need something exotic, it seems to me to make good sense to start with someone like CG who has an excellent local reputation and track record.  Have him build just what you need.  With this available, why go to GDL? 

BTW I'm assuming this is a windows computer and not an Apple.

Archived