Chapala.com Webboard

Baked goods at SuperLake

ComputerGuy

Just a heads up: Saturday I caved and bought a fairly expensive "lemon loaf" (70p) from the shelf where are sold various (looks like) home-baked goods. Now, I know from lemon loafs, banana breads, etc. This was plain old cake with a lemony flavour. It tasted fine, but making a cake mix into a small loaf pan and charging that much? Nope, sorry. Now I won't be buying anything else from that seller.

I sure do miss the oatmeal raisin and the chocolate chip cookies that came in the little packages at SL.

Best baked goods are at the French bakeries/restaurants, one on Independencia just west of Colon in Ajijic.  The other in West Ajijic in same shopping area as Hacienda Don Pedro.  

Prices surprisingly reasonable given quality.  The Jesuite pastry is divine. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, JayBearII said:

I sure do miss the oatmeal raisin and the chocolate chip cookies that came in the little packages at SL.

They are there but it's hit and miss. Heaven forbid that they would make a note of how quickly something sells and adjust the quantity made accordingly. I haven't seen Cambazola cheese there lately either. Do these examples come under the logic "All good things must come to an end"? Sigh.

It is very true that since Pancho left, the place has gone downhill. They appear to have no interest in finding "new" goods to entice us, the way he did. They never have people selling their wares at special tables. They are losing track of their inventory, and regular items are just not appearing any more. Perhaps there was a fight over spending with Pancho; perhaps they are just not very good at it. But, as you suggest, "all good things" maybe... I enjoyed being able to pick up all kinds of things that I would never have expected to find, and those days may be gone. Unless Pancho starts it all up again in his new place.

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Best baked goods are at the French bakeries/restaurants, one on Independencia just west of Colon in Ajijic.  The other in West Ajijic in same shopping area as Hacienda Don Pedro.  

Prices surprisingly reasonable given quality.  The Jesuite pastry is divine. 

Pancho is getting frozen batter from France which he defrosts and then bakes. I am told the Croissants are better, (and cheaper), than the French bakery  on Independencia. I have had one and they are delicious, next I will try some of his bread.

39 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Pancho is getting frozen batter from France which he defrosts and then bakes. I am told the Croissants are better, (and cheaper), than the French bakery  on Independencia. I have had one and they are delicious, next I will try some of his bread.

Not even close in terms of quality and taste.  IMO.  YMMV.

49 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

I liked the La Brea bread too, but since discovering the Scandanvian bakery in Centro Laguna, I like their breads even better. Sourdough, crunchy crust, moist interiors and fresh from their ovens, 8 or ten varieties.

Absolutely....love their black olive and thyme sourdough named Halland.  Big loaf, but bread freezes well.  I get it sliced and take out some slices when needed...they thaw in minutes.  

Archived