Chapala.com Webboard

TORY Vista Alegre Condominium President Kills Neighbor

7 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Read on insidelakeside.com

Yes, there's more of the story under the "Crime" thread, but it's a little sparse on details.  In any case, discussing crimes is verboten on here. The Guad reporter may have the story in its coming edition since it involves a high profile person.

This was a post on Inside Lakeside re Lisa J

Just received an email from Lisa Jorgenson. She is giving us a last chance for an annual subscription for the Chapala Reporter for $45 per Year. It is going up to $60.

The Guadalajara Reporter charges $30 US per year and each week they usually have 28 or 32 pages.

How many pages does the Chapala Reporter have per week? I understand perhaps one or two, but not weekly but occasionally. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to see what she writes. But I am not going to pay $45 or $60 to find out. I would be happy to pay for one issue so that I could see. but I have never seen that available unless you sign up for a year.”

And this is her salacious article:

"Vista Alegre Condominium President Kills Neighbor
Published on May 30, 2018 in News/Safety-Crime by LCR Staff
A tragic incident occurred Tuesday morning in Ajijic. Walter Latham, president of the Vista Alegre condominium development, shot his neighbor to death. Antonio Novoa Rosas, 39, was killed as he was visiting Latham’s house to complain about Latham’s actions as president, involving Novoa’s dogs.

Latham, a self-proclaimed karate expert and former bouncer, shot Novoa in the chest with a shotgun as the two became involved in a heated argument. Novoa, 39, had suffered from post traumatic epilepsy for the past 18 years.

Latham’s legitimacy to serve as president was an issue in his recent election due to his assault and battery of a 65-year-old man a few years ago. At that time, Latham was fined and sent to jail, but somehow served only one day for an injury that sent the senior to the hospital. Latham was elected despite of the incident, with a large number of votes coming from Vista Alegre developers.

Latham remains jailed.

Funeral arrangements for Novoa remain unsettled due to forensic investigations, which should be completed in the next few days."

Then, this letter was posted on FaceBook yesterday:

From Ken CorbinVP & Treasurer, Vista Alegre. 12:06pm May 30

Please note the following letter that's being sent to the residents of Vista Alegre:

I wanted to give all of our residents an update on the tragic situation that occurred at Vista Allegra this past Tuesday morning.  As you may have heard, Antonio Novoa from house number 15 passed away at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Latham at house number 55. There have been a number of obvious inconsistent and incorrect remarks made regarding the situation.

In addition some inflammatory and outrageous reporting has been done by a local source that has a reputation for slanderous remarks.

I have been involved with the situation within minutes of it's occurrence. In addition I have spoken to the local authorities and the District Attorney's office. As I write this, more interviews are being conducted with additional witnesses and individuals close to the situation. I have been at the residence of Mr. And Mrs. Latham and the District Attorney's office during each of these interviews. Walter spent Tuesday evening at the Chapala Clinic and today remains in custody (which is standard procedure in Mexico) while the authorities continue their investigation. No charges have been filed. Debby had an examination done relating to some of the injuries that occurred during the initial attack. It's anticipated that additional examinations will be necessary. Debby's also been involved with numerous interviews from the authorities.

I promise that future consistent and accurate updates will be provided to our residents. Finally, I ask for your prayers and thoughts during this time to the families of Antonio Novoa and Walter Latham.

VISTA ALEGRE, Ken Corbin, Vice President & Treasurer

And now she is posting that she is about to increase her publication, if one could call it that from $45 to $60 per year. And what do you get a story or three every one to three weeks, on line. I understand. But do not know.

Heck the Guadalajara Reporter which averages most of the time 28 to 32 pages per week only costs $30 US per year and has many many times over the amount of information Lisa's emails or whatever it is she publishes is called.

The problem here is that according to several people rhat I know who live and work there, Lisa's account is much more accurate than the Condo's account of the man "passing away".  It would have been better, in my opinion, if the Condo account had accurately said that a neighbor was shot and killed during an argument with the President of the Condo and his wife over a dispute about the dead man's dogs.  They then could have correctly stated that the investigation was ongoing as to the circumstances.  But to simply say the man passed away is just a little over the top.  Of course the Board of this Condo was very well aware of this person's nature and his violence in the past when he was voted in as President .... Not the best choice maybe?  However, there seems to be a consensus that the wife was being attacked ... However, you would think that a man that knows martial arts could have done something less permanent than shooting a man to death.

11 minutes ago, Wookie said:

The problem here is that according to several people rhat I know who live and work there, Lisa's account is much more accurate than the Condo's account of the man "passing away".  It would have been better, in my opinion, if the Condo account had accurately said that a neighbor was shot and killed during an argument with the President of the Condo and his wife over a dispute about the dead man's dogs.  They then could have correctly stated that the investigation was ongoing as to the circumstances.  But to simply say the man passed away is just a little over the top.  Of course the Board of this Condo was very well aware of this person's nature and his violence in the past when he was voted in as President .... Not the best choice maybe?  However, there seems to be a consensus that the wife was being attacked ... However, you would think that a man that knows martial arts could have done something less permanent than shooting a man to death.

"However, you would think that a man that knows martial arts could have done something less permanent than shooting a man to death."

This is a very valid point and the part that I can't understand, therefore I believe there must be more to this story than we know.

8 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Why would he or should he? If someone attacked my wife in our home they would certainly be met with deadly force. If those facts are accurate I say bravo for protecting his wife. And if the statement about everyone knowing this fellow was not afraid to use force was true......what in the hell was the guy thinking?

".....what in the hell was the guy thinking?"

Based on one account (if actually factual) the deceased was not of sound mind.

3 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

".....what in the hell was the guy thinking?"

Based on one account (if actually factual) the deceased was not of sound mind.

Which, if true, would be all the more justification for using deadly force. If you watch any amount of news, police and others often have to use deadly force to stop those "not of sound mind" since reason and logic often don't work in those situations. Sad, but true and then throw in possible "suicide by cop" and I doubt the homeowner thought there might be a good chance to call in a skilled negotiator, eh?

We, of course, have only the shooter and his wife as witnesses. Two angry men, one with a shotgun, "honey tell them he tried to attack you". We are not in Texas people and gun ownership in most instances is illegal in Mexico.

22 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

We, of course, have only the shooter and his wife as witnesses. Two angry men, one with a shotgun, "honey tell them he tried to attack you". We are not in Texas people and gun ownership in most instances is illegal in Mexico.

Sorry, not a personal comment, but you know not of what you speak.

Archived