Chapala.com Webboard

Fabric on menaje

Has anyone had experience bringing sewing fabric into the country? "Bulk fabric" appears on the list of items that can't be brought through customs. Does anyone know what "bulk" exactly means? I have a boxful of fabric that I will be sewing into clothing for myself once I arrive and I don't want to lose it at the border!

3 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

They don't want you bringing in large amounts of fabric to sell.  I would list it as clothing (ropa) to be safe.

Thank you! I've a considerable investment in the fabric and really don't want to give it away/sell it stateside before I move.

3 hours ago, barbaraH said:

Thank you! I've a considerable investment in the fabric and really don't want to give it away/sell it stateside before I move.

I don't know how you plan to bring (shipment, plane or car) the fabric but I have had a FedEx shipment in Customs for two months. Customs said that they need more documention on two spices.  Other spices are OK. Basicaly, the agent said I either have to wait to see if the items will clear or hire a broker to get the items ship back. 

On 5/31/2018 at 8:15 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Used clothes are imported as rags to circumvent the sanitary regulations. Yours too can be called rags, no?

Seriously? My household clothing is rags??? Given that - thanks for the suggestion. The fabric pieces could easily be called rags -- very expensive rags. 😁

Are you driving? If so, don't put them in box all nicely folded. Use them to wrap glassware and other breakable items, just scatter them here and there, put some in with your sheets and pillowcases, etc. I seriously doubt that Mexican cutoms agents are very well informed about expensive fabrics.

I second MudGirl's suggestion.  We had the same issue when we came.  In fact, one of the movers said fabric and paper products were not allowed.  Unacceptable rules we said.  We divided things up in different boxes and used them to wrap things.  Everything got here with our shipper.

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

And I shipped boxes of fabric with all the supplies (quilter) and had no problems at all. Fabric  was  folded and packed but still not enough for a store or resale....which is what they are looking for....

Makes perfect sense to me.  I have no idea why the shipper (Lake Chapala moving) would not allow any fabric in his shipment.  He told me it was "customs regulations".  We ended up not using them anyway.  They were way to restrictive.

Archived