Chapala.com Webboard

Going to Texas - Carmax - to sell car

donnazor

I need to sell my California plated car (going permanente) which is a 2003 Toyota Highlander in pretty good shape. But I am clueless about several things.

First, people have suggested Laredo, McAllen and San Antonio. San Antonio is obviously further, but if I would get a better price for the car AND a better flight back to Guadalajara,

it would be worth it. Does anyone know anything about this procedure that would help me make the right choices. Thank you, Everybody, for your anticipated feedback!

Most of the reports I've seen have people going to San Antonio.  Direct reasonably priced flights from there to here.  However I would contact CarMax first and see if they are really wanting a 15 year old car, they tend to focus on newer. 

In my opinion it comes down to how much ‘energy’ you want to spend as to what option you should take. Assuming your Highlander’s “pretty good shape” means it has low miles, no past wrecks/paint jobs, no current dents or smaller ones that broke the paint and an interior free of smoke and pet residue you should be OK. 

And unless you want to ride the bus back, San Antonio is going to be the cheapest place to fly back to Guadalajara from. 

Assuming the average 2003 Highlander as described above with around 150,000 miles, don’t expect any ‘dealer’ to offer you more than $2,000. You may could sell it on craigslist for $5,000 but be prepared to sit on it for a while there at that price. Offer it for $3,500 and you’ll sit there less. If it has way less miles than that (100,000?) you can get more and sell it quicker probably. 

Whatever you decide, don’t forget to stop at the border and turn in/cancel the TIP. You don’t want Mexico to think/assume that you still have that foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. 

if you contact a dealer that is interested in you car, ask how long it takes to get paid if you make a deal. when my sister-in-law sold my mother in laws car,   and they lived in san antonio, 2 places she went to wanted to make her wait for the check for 1 to 3 days. 

Looking online used vehicles look to be considerably more expensive in the RGV than in San Antonio and Houston still cheaper. Viva Aerobus flies to GDL from right across the border from McAllen in Reynosa on M, W, F and for instance on Wednesday, June 20 leaves 12:15 arrives 13:50 for $51 USD, muy barato.  Don't worry about Reynosa airport during the day. If you're comfortable in GDL you'll be comfortable there.

Pappy.... that might be a two-edged sword.  More money maybe but less population/people to sell to. This might mean sitting in Texas longer to make a sale. Might. 

If I were contemplating doing this, I’d run a craigslist add in RGV and in San Antonio to judge interest. Several pictures and describe the vehicle honestly and thoroughly. 

Good info about Viva Aerobus from Reynosa.....

9 hours ago, RickS said:

Pappy.... that might be a two-edged sword.  More money maybe but less population/people to sell to. This might mean sitting in Texas longer to make a sale. Might. 

If I were contemplating doing this, I’d run a craigslist add in RGV and in San Antonio to judge interest. Several pictures and describe the vehicle honestly and thoroughly. 

Good info about Viva Aerobus from Reynosa.....

Right on Rick, if time is money then unless the car is pristine he should probably sell it locally to someone who will remove it for him and forget it. If time and a few days in an inexpensive hotel in the Valley and a chance to do some shopping sounds good that might work for him. I like your idea of putting the ad in before getting there. I suspected used car prices would be lower there but was surprised that's not the case.

Thinking a little further, if I decided that's what I wanted to do I think I would find one of the cheaper hotels on SPI and let the car sale pay for a nice beach vacation. I would take Rick's advice and place the ad before I got there. Nice beaches there and I would insist the buyer take possession the day I was flying back and right there at the border. Sounds better the longer I think about it......

On 6/5/2018 at 7:00 AM, tomgates said:

CarMax low balls. Craig's List much better. San Antonio would have better options for flying back to GDL.

Tom, I don't know that CarMax consistently offers less than 'any other' dealership, but I do know that they are 'picky'. I once took a primo, newer Toyota RAV4 in for an offer (to get a sense of what the market would bear) and they would not even give me a quote. Because?  It had (really spiffy) aftermarket wheels.... made the RAV4 look extra good in my eyes. He stated that CarMax Corporate only wants a vehicle to have Original Equipment!  He did offer me an Auction price which is where he said that they would send it immediately.  I declined.

Archived