Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing children into Mexico without their parents

una

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but I must not have been using the right key words in my search.  Next month I'm bringing my granddaughter and her best friend (pre-teens) back with to stay for awhile and then accompanying them back to the US.  I had heard that I would need written permission from their parents to present at immigration.  That makes sense, of course.  But I'm seeing contradictory information about the form of that permission.  One place says that the parents must fill out forms and then go to the nearest Mexican consulate for apostille.  Another site says we only need signed letters of permission.  Another says the letters of permission must be notarized.  The first option would be difficult as they live several hours from the closest consulate.  Could someone who has done this let me know what the most current requirements are?  Thanks very much.

I believe you are going to need a notarized authorization from both parents. Others know more, perhaps copies of birth certificates listing parents. If no one responds check with the airline.

Perhaps Spencer could help.

We have several grandkids that come to visit every year flying solo.

They travel with a passport and a notarized letter authorizing the trip stating who is going to meet them in Mexico. If one of the parents is deceased they carry a death certificate. The letters have never been checked over many years and lots of kids but we always insist the parents get one.

Archived