Chapala.com Webboard

LIGHTS FLICKERING OUT

ezpz

The lights have flickered off and on several times here tonight with no adverse weather.  This has happened several times recently, not just my house.  The area goes dark for a bit but it manages to come back on - and off and on again... but still is very annoying!  I'm in the east Guadalupe Victoria neighborhood in Ajijic.  We have always had more than the usual amount of power outages but no one seems to know why.  Various trees have been trimmed, but that hasn't stopped this from happening.  Is this happening in your area as well?

Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

One outage during the night, one this morning in La Canacinta in far west Ajijic.

1 minute ago, Floradude said:

Twice this morning in Upper Ajijic.   No flickering...just  On and Off.

Sure messes up the electronics.

Maybe all those fans sold recently at Walmart are all on.......at once.  Same on/off situation in Ajijic Centro.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/joys-cfe-pension/

'A world-class company,' reads the CFE slogan. The same could be said of its pensions.

Luxurious pensions of Pemex and CFE

One former CFE worker earns more than President Peña Nieto

Thursday, August 18, 2016

In a country where the daily minimum wage is about US $4, landing a job at state companies Pemex and the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) has meant hitting the jackpot for almost 150,000 retired workers who now earn pensions worth up to 15,659 pesos, about US $860, per day.

We've had this happen before when it has been unusually hot.  The system just can't handle it.  Nice preview for the new residents for the rainy season storm and outages.  Sometimes for hours or days.  Get a lantern or a flashlight and have some candles to see by, not just smelly ones.  

After some years we figured out a backup generator sufficient to run our fridge and water system is a must.  It has been getting steady usage this year.

Those cheap rechargeable LED flashlights they sell all over are great to have.  They take up little room, just hang them from any open plug socket and they last for quite a while.  We've got a half dozen of them scattered about the house.

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

It is not unusually hot for this time of year and the outages started last night and into the morning which are the coolest times of day with the lowest demands on electrical service.

Only if one assumes that the CFE maintains the integrity of its infrastructure year to year... I cannot see that happening, considering the reports of graft in that company throughout Mexico.

And in my house, and I'm sure many, nothing cools on the inside until the wee hours of the morning. Bedtime in my room is very uncomfortable without a good fan.

So, the general consensus is the electrical grid cannot meet demand.  The whole infrastructure is stressed and yet the building of new condos/apts, developments, houses is going crazy all along the lake.  Where is the electrical support for all the additional customers.  How about the water needs for all of the developments and people who are moving here.  Our old pipes are constantly breaking  and water runs down the streets until SIMAPA can get it repaired.  No, worry lets just keep building.  Then there are the roads.  I know we have the finest roads, and well maintained, so we  have no worries about  about all the additional cars and people who are going to be moving into those houses, condos, developments,.......

Obviously the local and State governments, past and present, do not care or worry; why should I?

I don't know what is causing the yo-yo electricity delivery for the past 20 or so hours, but May is the lowest of the low season.  The snowbirds are gone and the sweatbirds have yet to arrive.  Many homes are vacant even of full-timers who smartly plan their vacations during May.  And it's mid-week....nary a Tapatio in sight until the weekend.

My guess is that CFE will sort this out in a day or two and none of us will ever know what the cause was.  

If the grid was going to show signs of stress, it would have been this past Dec. and Jan. when we had those extended cold snaps and Lakeside was full to the brim with full-timers and part-timers......with heaters ablazing.  Fans take very little energy compared to heaters and while some folks have a/c here, the vast majority do not.  

Archived