Chapala.com Webboard

Mini Split air conditioner availablity?

How hot is it?  Gasp.  I have a mini split air conditioner in the bedroom, installed years ago and still pouring out cool air at night.  Aaah.  I'd like to buy another one for the workroom where I spend most of the daytime hours.  I bought the older unit from Electroventa in Riberas and am wondering if anyone else carries them locally and can install them as well?  Info appreciated. (Not interested in evaporative coolers; humidity too high in this area)

We got a Whirlpool from Tio Sams. They set us up with an electrical contractor to run a new 220V circuit and the Whirlpool techs to install the unit. 

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

We got a Whirlpool from Tio Sams. They set us up with an electrical contractor to run a new 220V circuit and the Whirlpool techs to install the unit. 

We only have 110, which our Mirage in the bedroom works fine on.  So, may I ask what the cost of installing the 220 circuit was?

12 hours ago, justsayin said:

Gringal,  does your Mirage run your CFE bill way up?Where do they sellthe 110 Mirage? Thank you.

Yes, it runs the CFE bill up even though we've installed 9 solar panels.  We bought ours years ago at Electroventa in Riberas.

Can't help you with a source Gringal but I hope you consider getting a unit that both cools and heats. I remember your comment about your work room being too cold in the winter as well but that a propane heater wasn't helping your lungs. Two birds, one stone.

12 hours ago, justsayin said:

Gringal,  does your Mirage run your CFE bill way up?Where do they sellthe 110 Mirage? Thank you.

Usually, any mini split up to12,000 BTUs can run on 120. They are available wherever mini splits are sold in almost all brand names. Mine is an LG.  Larger than 12,000 requires 240.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Can't help you with a source Gringal but I hope you consider getting a unit that both cools and heats. I remember your comment about your work room being too cold in the winter as well but that a propane heater wasn't helping your lungs. Two birds, one stone.

Thanks, but I solved the heating problem, and this morning, purchased a 110 unit just like the one in the bedroom at Electroventa which hopefully, will be installed in the next few days.  (It's easier to solve the heating problem, as in wearing more clothes or my old longjohns, but cooling is another matter)😄

The 12,000 BTU A/C units require 10A service (15A breaker) at 110V.    That means running 12 gauge (thick ~ 'calibre doce'~ ) cable for 110V units ...or 14 ga. cable (thin) for 220V.

Bigger air conditioners like 18,000 BTU draw 18A - 20A at 110V, (30A - 40A breaker),   which would mean running (expensive) very heavy 8 gauge wire ... versus  only needing 12 ga for 220V @ 10A    for the same 18,000 BTU clima.

It's just not practical to build 18,000 BTU    110V A/C units,  because it takes really heavy wire to carry the 20A current at just 110V.

Horsepower-wire-size1.jpg

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

A couple of years ago when I knew we would be here for the warm season I bought a large window swamp cooler from the States.  I installed it on the mirador blowing down the stairs.  On a very hot day my granddaughters couldn't watch TV because it was too cold!  The temp was 72° on the 2nd floor and it was 75° downstairs.  Swamp coolers work very well here if properly sized.  Remember that the output of the cooler should be such that it will replace the complete volume of air in your home in one minute, two at most.  That also means that you go the farthest part of the house and open a window.   

You should be able to keep your whole house cool with a 500 Watt cooler using 110V power.  I have had bad luck with the smaller roll around units.  A large window one should work well for you.

Rick

We have a 22,000 BTU  inverter 220/240v minisplit from TioSams for a very large bedroom 6*7*4 meters.  We run it during April, May, June, July and August, and our CFE bill has never gone above 46.00 pesos with 8 solar panels. Cost 5100 pesos to wire plus parts.

İ want to add 2 small mini splits 110v to 2 bedrooms each 3*3*4 meters. Saw some brand name units at Coppel in the 7000 to 10,000 pesos range. İ want these for nightime cooling between  9pm and 3am, for visitors during the hot months.

• 8 months later...

All the stores recently had close-out sales on their mini splits. The time to buy at a discount has passed for this year.

We bought ours two years ago at Home Depot in Guadalajara. The LG line includes those with Inverter technology and heat as well as AC. You will find that the newer technology will save you money in the long run, as will regular service to the compressor.

Investing in a 220V line is well worth the money IMO and gives you more options. I can't remember what the cost was for installation, but we've never regretted it. This time of year a big ### fan in each bedroom window is sufficient, but come April I will be suckin' up the AC.