Chapala.com Webboard

Exterior security door

Is your door a "standard" size that might be available from Home Depot?  The problem seems to be that there aren't really any standards hence the need for a custom door.  And a metal door is much more secure than a wooden door, in general.

15 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Are there any viable, but less expensive options for a plain, but solid exterior security door other than having one custom made by a local iron worker? I can't think of any, but was hoping for another option or two. Thanks.

There was one for sale on FB, it is a really good looking one. Do not know if it is still available, I think it was 3000 mxn.

I have bought various ones from homedepot's "Gensteel" line and they a great for the price, last one i paid 6,000 pesos and 350 for delivery, iirc its the "Texas" model and has a wood look finish to it. Nice doors for the price. 

mesurements are 217 cm x 94cm 

17 minutes ago, tomgates said:

You should definitely have a door that opens OUT and not in. 

Why do you say that? The door will be inside my car port and I wanted it to open IN so that it doesn't hit the side of my car when it is opened as it will only be a couple of feet or so from the door. No?

I'd like to see somebody "kick" in a good steel security door.  Maybe with a battering ram........

When we put ours in we were told that it would take heavy tools and a lot of time to get it open once locked.  It was custom made for an outside entrance.

What have we replaced it with?  After deciding we had too many entrances, we have bricked up that hole and gained the interior space it took up when opened.

I don't think it matters which way they open as long as there is a lip on the door and a lip on the frame (on the opposite side to the way it opens). This prevents a tool that can cut through the deadbolt(s) from being used. I recently got "locked" inside my house when the ordinary handle had a broken piece in the rotating mechanism. Neither of the other two deadbolts were engaged. Had to have a welder come and cut a piece of the lip to just slip the catch with a credit card. It took the guy over a half an hour with a rotary cutter to cut the piece and spring me. Incredibly noisy... not what your average thief wants to do. Same with the iron grills on my windows.

Hey, if I couldn't get out... they sure as hell can't get in without a lot of effort. Works for me.

12 hours ago, gwynne said:

I'd like to see somebody "kick" in a good steel security door.  Maybe with a battering ram........

When we put ours in we were told that it would take heavy tools and a lot of time to get it open once locked.  It was custom made for an outside entrance.

What have we replaced it with?  After deciding we had too many entrances, we have bricked up that hole and gained the interior space it took up when opened.

When kicking in a door the area that gives is where the screws to the lock attach.   Easily addressed by using long long screws and into a steel rather than a wooden frame.

Archived