Chapala.com Webboard

Music records to CDs?

Copying/digitizing music, even music that you own, is actually illegal. But like most people, I have digitized all my music. About 45 years worth. Rather than the very lengthy process of converting it yourself, I'd suggest asking around for pre-digitized copies of what you want. You never know what you might find and It's just as legal as doing it yourself.

I have seen a record player out there that connects to your computer via U.S.B. port. Under $100U.S. Then there is software to cleanup pops and clicks. If you have access to Usenet (short term, premium service) there is a group alt.binaries.sounds.78rpm which had a lot of old Hawaiian mp3s on it. 1955 was when the 33 speed was introduced, so this is a collection of music before that time.

I vote for a local service, like the OP was enquiring about. I've been hoping for years to find someone who could transfer my cassette compilations (don't laugh) - I've saved all my favourites `cause I spent hours and hours putting them together. Nothing to play them on anymore though...

I can't see anyone offering the service, and if they did they would have to charge much more than the price of a turntable/MP3 converter. Because basically it has to be done in real time, so you are playing an album side one, then playing side two, all the way through, for however many albums there are. My brother bought such a unit, but only does it sporadically because it is such a big job.

Agreed. But no "service" will see it as a labour of love. Between us, we probaby have a thousand albums. Already spending enough time scanning in all the old photo albums of my parents...

Been there, done that. I finally made short work of it by buying a scanner that allowed you to do multiples at one time but still numbered them in order. Sweet... and FAST. One at a time on a multi function machine is tedious beyond belief. And, sorry, I left it in Canada with the kids.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Maybe this might help...

https://autosplitter.com/

Thanks, license bought and paid for last year. It is a huge timesaver, and in particular when the plastic pages are so stuck together that you can't get the photos out individually, it is brilliant. Simple, fast, cheap. He does want you to pay for every upgrade, but I won't need to upgrade unless he adds something even more brilliant.

Archived