Chapala.com Webboard

Dementia

I had the opportunity of meeting Ms. Kassandra A. King yesterday at La Valentina where she is taking care of a very dear friend of mine. I found her to be very sincere and loving with her patients.  you can contact her at:                  619.777.0724

What about specific background checks (public records, employment history, financial judgments, references)?  Have these things checked out with the person recommended above?  These things can be very revealing in the sense that anyone can present themselves as an authority, and border promotions, as we know, are common.  Are there any visible red flags, gaps, etc?   References must be verifiable by former employers  with specific questions asked, such as, "would you rehire?"  If not, what information are you willing to provide?    What about significant complaints?   I prefer caution, concrete facts and history, personal stability etc. over taking someone at their word.  

4 minutes ago, ickytoes said:

What about specific background checks (public records, employment history, financial judgments, references)?  Have these things checked out with the person recommended above?  These things can be very revealing in the sense that anyone can present themselves as an authority, and border promotions, as we know, are common.  Are there any visible red flags, gaps, etc?   References must be verifiable by former employers  with specific questions asked, such as, "would you rehire?"  If not, what information are you willing to provide?    What about significant complaints?   I prefer caution, concrete facts and history, personal stability etc. over taking someone at their word.  

Nothing wrong with caution, but I place a high value on recommendations from people who have used the services of whoever is being recommended.  The approach you are suggesting requires the resources of an HR dept or of a detective.

First,  I do not know anyone who has been named as a caregiver  in the above posts and have no positive or negative  opinions about their caregiver skills and abilities.  I am speaking in general terms as a licensed professional  Registered Nurse  from California  and NYC .              

Being a paid   a  caregiver  requires specific  skills  and temperament .     Having  a person taking care of  someone you love and cherish, especially someone who might have dementia and be vulnerable,    you must do  thorough  a  ‘back ground check’     of that caregiver’s  past employment .

This  check  should include  ‘validation’  of their work  - places & dates,  and  several personal references, be either here  in Mexico  or  NOB.   One glowing reference is not sufficient.

If a caregiver is  not  willing  or  able  to provide specifics about their past work [ with proof ] , for me -  this a  red flag.

As we all know, as some people age  they have a greater  sense of trust in others,  which makes then vulnerable  by a kind speaking  and ‘sweet’ person      who  is offering them help or  assistance .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

As a  nurse  I have  encountered  too many cases of  elder abuse – I am not  exclusively talking   about physical abuse, although that sadly does occur including over-medicating to sedate an individual..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    There is  also  financial abuse.  A caregiver  can  gain  the confidence of their client / patient and  then  gain access  to their bank account, credit cards, etc..     Many a relative NOB  or a local long time  friend   after the death of that person  has found such a situation.                                                                           As  harsh  as  that  may sound,  it does happen - it HAS  happened here  locally .  There are agencies in  the  north to report elder abuse,  I am not sure what agency functions in that role here in Mexico, but there must be. .

If a local  person is a paid  caregiver and a non-Mexican,  they need to be a Permanente [ giving them the  legal  right to work for pay ]  or specifically have a  valid work permit if on a Visa or a Temporal..  

Yes, it does take ‘ work ‘  to  verify that the hired caregiver is  who he/ she  says they are and have  the  right skills  and abilities to do this work.                   People I  know  do many references  checks [ not just one ] on a  pet  sitter...    certainly a caregiver who is entrusted to be responsible for the life and  well being  of a loved  relative / friend/  human being  should get the same  effort      to verify  they will be well cared for by the proposed caregiver.

Sorry this is such   along post, but  I think this is a very important topic.. we need to protect our friends and loved ones.

[ sorry I can not get the sentences to line up correctly  ]

42 minutes ago, ickytoes said:

NO … not at all.  Public records are generally free (at least for a trial period) and there is a great deal of information available.   

"References must be verifiable by former employers  with specific questions asked, such as, "would you rehire?"  If not, what information are you willing to provide? "  That sort of information is not available in public records, and it's what I was referring to.

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

A good attorney can access records that would be difficult for a non-legal person to obtain.  For my loved ones, the price wouldn't be too high.

Exactly.  A "simple phone call" to a good attorney. End of problem, si?

Archived