Chapala.com Webboard

Laptop screen replacement

Can anybody recommend a good local company that can replace the screen on my laptop without keeping it overnight or longer?   It’s the standard 17 inch screen but I don’t want to leave it at a shop at tells me Mañana, because as we know Mañana has a very open ended definition here! 

Sadly, that approach will leave you forever with an unfixed laptop. At the very least, the parts have to ordered and picked up in Guadalajara. At worst, it will have to go to Guadalajara. There are thousands of laptops, and they do not necessarily share the same design and fit of screen.

Around here, I would be happy with a place that actually told me mañana.

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sadly, that approach will leave you forever with an unfixed laptop. At the very least, the parts have to ordered and picked up in Guadalajara. At worst, it will have to go to Guadalajara. There are thousands of laptops, and they do not necessarily share the same design and fit of screen.

Around here, I would be happy with a place that actually told me mañana.

Ok CG🤙🤙. Do you recommend anyone  in SAT or Ajijic?

I recommend Computer Land in Riberas. I took in my laptop with a 17 inch screen on a Saturday and had it back on the following Monday. Great service, reasonable price and Reuben did take it in to Guadalajara to be fixed. Now been working like a charm for over a year. He even gave me the crappy old screen back.

15 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I recommend Computer Land in Riberas. I took in my laptop with a 17 inch screen on a Saturday and had it back on the following Monday. Great service, reasonable price and Reuben did take it in to Guadalajara to be fixed. Now been working like a charm for over a year. He even gave me the crappy old screen back.

Sounds good. About how much does Ruben charge?

He charged me 1500 pesos total but I knew what the problem was. I suspect that each case is different and it would be worth your while to take it in and get the skinny for YOUR laptop.

I made the mistake of putting my dogs' water bowls too close to my desk. They wrestled and one of the water bowls tipped and splashed water up onto the screen. I cleaned it off right away and thought it was fine. Not. Worked with only 2/3 of a screen for several months. This kind of weird stuff happens to me on a regular basis.

It doesn't address Dan's problem as posed, but most current laptops feature a HDMI port and operating systems that should more or less automatically recognize a HDTV display plugged into the computer.  Especially when paired with a wireless keyboard with a laptop style touch pad allowing the user to sit at any comfortable distance and angle of repose, I find it a productive setup.  I've networked three laptops, one each displaying on a separate HDTV but controlled by one keyboard where the cursor travels across the separate screens using the  Windows 'Mouse without Borders' utility.  I measured it once and it gives me about two square meters of screen space and three CPUs selected for their 'area of expertise'.  I used to have a 17 in unit that constantly overheated - now the laptops sit running with their screens closed, stacked against the wall, always on. Gorgeous UX.

19 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Dan didn't state boodiddleysquat about anything in your post utilitus... just a question about where to get a 17 inch laptop screen fixed.

The basic idea was to point out that almost any HDTV, which most people have, could probably be used, in a pinch or regularly, as a PnP screen for a laptop.  The elaboration was to share a system configuration which I truly enjoy.  I didn't mention that one of the matched refurbished laptops I use has a bum keyboard, yet works fine in this arrangement.  Also, here in California anyway, 40" HDTVs are remarkably cheap, possibly less than a new 17" laptop screen.  If I were in Dan's situation, I would (if possible) go online with the relevant model number and on a mere hypothesis as to the likely problem, get an idea of the relevant part's cost, availability, etc., even in the States.  Some might find that kind of curiosity odd, but one would hope, not offensive, even if he had to plug in a HDMI cable to do it.

Okay. Now I know what you were trying to convey and you are correct since I use an HDMI cable to a 40 inch HDTV. But that only works if you have access to the laptop screen to tell it what to do. And, if you want portability with your laptop, it won't work at all. I know prices have come down but I still don't think you can get a 40 inch HDTV for 1500 pesos. If you wait 'til August, there are great deals on laptops before school starts usually at Best Buy... mine was $400 U.S. because I wanted everything in English... getting it here is another problem.

Dan, just go to Computer Land and see if they can help.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

Okay. Now I know what you were trying to convey and you are correct since I use an HDMI cable to a 40 inch HDTV. But that only works if you have access to the laptop screen to tell it what to do. And, if you want portability with your laptop, it won't work at all. I know prices have come down but I still don't think you can get a 40 inch HDTV for 1500 pesos. If you wait 'til August, there are great deals on laptops before school starts usually at Best Buy... mine was $400 U.S. because I wanted everything in English... getting it here is another problem.

Dan, just go to Computer Land and see if they can help.

Thank you Ferrit, I will!

Archived