Chapala.com Webboard

converting spanish windows 8 control panel to english

Has anyone figured out how to convert the Spanish windows 8 control panel to English? Wanna share? Or does the whole operating system have to be reinstalled as an English operating system? Is that expensive? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U can still convert WIN8 to WIN10 and in the process choose English for install.   Use product code from sticker on side of computer 

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

I tried WIN10 - too much bloatware to remove and I didn't like interface.   Rather than install a WIN7 look alike over it, I went back to WIN7.    WIN7 good until 2020

51 minutes ago, BCdoug said:

U can still convert WIN8 to WIN10 and in the process choose English for install.   Use product code from sticker on side of computer 

https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

I tried WIN10 - too much bloatware to remove and I didn't like interface.   Rather than install a WIN7 look alike over it, I went back to WIN7.    WIN7 good until 2020

In 2020 you`ll have to install Win 8 or Win10?

No. You do not have to upgrade from Windows 7, ever. It will work fine, long beyond the point where support from MS is dropped. The only problem is that... eventually... various bits of software won't run well on it very well after they get updated. For example, both Firefox and Chrome are constantly reminding people that they can't get the latest versions... in Windows XP. But this will happen more often as the years go by. Another example: older versions of PhotoShop will run just fine on any version these days, but newer versions of it may not.

As of now, there are still motherboards available that will run Windows 7... but the majority of new pre-built computers won't. They'll only have drivers for Windows 10, and while you could go backwards to Windows 7, you will never get the kind of performance you should get. Mostly due to a lack of video software for the display.

Unfortunately, if you have Windows 10, you will always be forced to take the updates. Yes, there are a few things you can do to delay some of the updates, but they will come eventually. This is a horrifying state of affairs, because MS has put out a lot of crappy updates in the last couple of months that have crippled and/or destroyed the operating system, requiring complete new installations of W10.

A side note: you can follow the guide in the above link, but be aware that the statement "Windows 10 will keep nagging you to activate it and won’t allow you to change any of the options under Settings > Personalization, but otherwise work just fine." is misleading. Those Personalization settings cover everything about how Windows looks, and without them, you are severely restricted in how you can manipulate your useage. That includes backgrounds, colours, lock screen, themes, fonts, the Start menu, the taskbar icons, the folders in your Start menu, picking a Sleep time... everything.

53 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

This is a horrifying state of affairs, because MS has put out a lot of crappy updates in the last couple of months that have crippled and/or destroyed the operating system, requiring complete new installations of W10.

I have four systems, all with Win 10 and have never had a glitch. Not one. Since I do not go to church, what can I attribute this too?

Sheer luck of the Irish (or whatever). But not everyone experiences problems. One must keep in mind that I see sometimes 25 or more computers every week.

I'm not suggesting people avoid Windows 10; just answering bdmowers question "In 2020 you`ll have to install Win 8 or Win10?"

Computer Guy said: "This is a horrifying state of affairs, because MS has put out a lot of crappy updates in the last couple of months that have crippled and/or destroyed the operating system, requiring complete new installations of W10."

After a year, for the last several months, my screen shows 'Activate Windows Go to settings to activate Windows,' but cannot activate.

Settings shows.
'Windows not activated.
Product ID 00331-10000-00001-AA038
Product key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-T836X

We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server. Make sure you're connected to your organization's network and try again. If you continue to have problems with activation, contact your organization's support person. Error code 0x8007232B'

When I click on enter Product key, this is the message.
'Your product key should be in an e-mail from whoever sold or distributed Windows to you, or on the box the Windows DVD or USB came in. '

Since I never received either of them, I can't enter Legal Product Key.

Is this the result of one of those Windows 10 upgrades you mention?

Sorry, it is difficult to say. Yesterday I did an upgrade to a brand-new, existing Windows 10 computer, with the latest updates. The computer will reside in Jocotepec where the Internet speed is too slow. When the new owners turned on the PC, about halfway through the setup process it wanted to update to the latest everything. (They didn't know they could bypass this screen.) So, they brought it here, and I was able to get all the updates fairly quickly.

The last step is to "register online"... and Microsoft refused. The message said "Please refer to the store of purchase, because the previous installation is the only one eligible for registration. Well.

The message you are getting makes, of course, no sense. What it really means is that it believes you are running Pro or Enterprise, which falls under a group license, and the upgrade version does not match the installed version. If the message is not getting in your way, then I would ignore it unless you really want the updates.

PM me for further discussion.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Unfortunately, if you have Windows 10, you will always be forced to take the updates. Yes, there are a few things you can do to delay some of the updates, but they will come eventually..

Not quite true. If you set your Internet connection to "metered" MS will not download and install updates.

Sorry, not quite true. Research will show you that MS will force "necessary" updates on you, no matter what your settings are. And you can bet that what THEY think is important vs what you think is, are two different things. Especially when it comes to major OS updates.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry, not quite true. Research will show you that MS will force "necessary" updates on you, no matter what your settings are. And you can bet that what THEY think is important vs what you think is, are two different things. Especially when it comes to major OS updates.

That's strange. I haven't had an update in 18 months

Sounds like nothing short of a miracle. Sadly, I can't really test this out for any length, because I need to experience what my customers experience with the numerous upgrades... knowing how to fix the problems and understanding them all is job one.

Forgot: metering only works over WiFi.

There''s an adage, ignorance is bliss, however, when it comes to technology, I find the exact opposite is more often the case. Having said that, I'd like to bring to your attention the fact that Linux users never, to my knowledge, avail themselves of these pages for a technical hands-up. Is it that Linux users are more technically adept? That's possible, I guess. Is it that we're smarter than you? Not even close. My best guess is that we may have given-in to a curiosity as to the nature of this other operating system and found it to be far less opaque than is the usual offerings from Microsoft.

People in-the-know will tell you that Linux is both difficult to learn, and is inherently insecure; this is routinely accompanied by comments to effect that this only to be expected in a product that is free. If I were to tell you that if the various Linux operating systems and the open source software (think free) that is run on them were to disappear, the internet as we have come to know and love it, would cease to exist, would you believe me? While it is quite true that Linux's share of the desktop market is miniscule compared to MS (Microsoft spends millions in marketing their products, while Linux in the guise of a few big players like Red Hat, spend a pittance, most spend nothing) , it outstrips MS in almost every other market category. Your smart phone is likely running Android, which is a Linux derivative. Your smart TV is likely running Linux, your Telmex modem is running Linux, many late model cars run Linux, and all of the top 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux.  Google, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, IBM, The United State's Navy,  NASA, The New York Stock Exchange, Japanese Bullet Trains, and hackers, all use Linux (this list is not exhaustive). Linux is free and always has been. Ever bought a Microsoft product?  "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated" - Johnny Rotten

There is, of course, an initial leaning curve, but it's shallow enough for the average computer user. The only real problem for some people is that some Windows applications don't have a Linux equivalent. Is Linux for you? In most cases, I'd say yes.  Oh, and in 20 years of using Linux I have never had a virus or any other malware harm a computer of mine.

Here's some extra food for thought.

18 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

There is, of course, an initial leaning curve, but it's shallow enough for the average computer user. The only real problem for some people is that some Windows applications don't have a Linux equivalent.

Yes, Red Hat CD has an impressive suite of free software ready to do anything most users want to do.    BUT -  I spend most of my time running trading software, Sierra Chart not available in Linux without using WINE.   AND isn't Linux still a command line based OS, like DOS ?      the GUI is just an external wrapper (shell) on the CLI 

I will readily admit I am Linux ignorant and part of the 'I do not care' community that Computer Guy mentions

1 hour ago, BCdoug said:

Yes, Red Hat CD has an impressive suite of free software ready to do anything most users want to do.    BUT -  I spend most of my time running trading software, Sierra Chart not available in Linux without using WINE.   AND isn't Linux still a command line based OS, like DOS ?      the GUI is just an external wrapper (shell) on the CLI 

I will readily admit I am Linux ignorant and part of the 'I do not care' community that Computer Guy mentions

BCDoug, this is a perfect example of what I was referring to. Having an install CD is good, of course, but the bulk of available software is accessed off the internet.

"AND isn't Linux still a command line based OS, like DOS ?      the GUI is just an external wrapper (shell) on the CLI ". Yes, Doug, that is a reasonable description of Linux, as it is of all operating systems that have a graphic user front end. You might want to look into Windows Server Datacenter version. Looks like DOS, but isn't.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Linux evangelistas. You have a great OS and a great community. But you are not taking into consideration your audience. They just don't care.

CG, you see it don't you? The insult you just through at your customer base?

I bought two Win10 PC's a couple of years ago and immediately converted them down to 8.1 - I remain happily at that level. I still have XP and Win7 systems all fully functional. Years of experience has taught me how to deal with them. However, I bought a new quadcopter because I had too much money in the bank - apparently? - that required an iPad for flight video etc. and you think you have problems with Win? - ha, I bought a 6" cable to hook the flight controller to the iPad and I'm getting an "accessory may not be compatible" etc. popup in the middle of my flight screen while I'm trying to avoid crashes etc. Turns out that somehow Apple knows when the "wires" you hook to the iPad are not pure white, Pope blessed, pure as the wind driven snow Apple etc. and so it's complaining about the wires???????? - give me a break?

PS: I'm old enough to remember life without computers, it was grand - I'm on my way back!

Archived