Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of plates for golf cart?


Recommended Posts

Some people bought motorcycle plates for their golf carts but most municipalities are not selling those for carts anymore. Legally you aren't supposed to drive a golf cart on a city street so it doesn't need to be plated. Say a motorcycle plate cost $200 pesos and you can drive a moto anywhere,  even on highways. You can't drive a cart but a few places without getting into trouble, so a plate should sell for $5 pesos if that much.

Drive it without plates, stay of the highway, stay in neighborhood streets and you should be OK.

A license tag is a tax to use the streets. If you cannot use the streets, you shouldn't pay the tax.

 

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joco said:

Some people bought motorcycle plates for their golf carts but most municipalities are not selling those for carts anymore. Legally you aren't supposed to drive a golf cart on a city street so it doesn't need to be plated. Say a motorcycle plate cost $200 pesos and you can drive a moto anywhere,  even on highways. You can't drive a cart but a few places without getting into trouble, so a plate should sell for $5 pesos if that much.

Drive it without plates, stay of the highway, stay in neighborhood streets and you should be OK.

A license tag is a tax to use the streets. If you cannot use the streets, you shouldn't pay the tax.

 

i totally agree....we have a very good mexican friend that has a golf cart, stays on the back roads, isnt concerned at all about plates.  In fact all the mexicans i see that ride 4 wheelers NEVER have plates.  I would not get any either but with my luck, mine would be confiscated !!!  lol  Guy wanted to charge me $277 US.....haaaaaaaa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gordo ( State Transito  cop) has been banished to state roads only. He's not likely to be in any of the village streets. However, if he speaks to any of the municipal transitos, they could jump on the gravy train. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is already so much wrong/innacurate information in this thread - starting with post #2 - I'm unwilling to participate further. I'm too busy. If anyone is truly interested in factual information on the topic, I suggest you look somewhere besides this thread.

I'm out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HarryB said:

Gordo ( State Transito  cop) has been banished to state roads only. He's not likely to be in any of the village streets. However, if he speaks to any of the municipal transitos, they could jump on the gravy train. 

The portly guy with the thin mustache and the pickup truck who has been harrassing people for years? You know this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Travis said:

There is already so much wrong/innacurate information in this thread - starting with post #2 - I'm unwilling to participate further. I'm too busy. If anyone is truly interested in factual information on the topic, I suggest you look somewhere besides this thread.

I'm out.

Please say it isn't so. How will we survive if you jump in and then jump right out? My information is correct. There are no license plates for golf carts because golf carts are not designed for streets. I have 2 without any plates and cops wave as they pass me on the street.  A license plate is a road tax. It doesn't mean that the brakes work,  has insurance, won't stall out in the street, nothing. It means a tax was paid. 

Since they are not supposed to be on a street, there is not a road usage tax for them.

Many times I have seen electric wheelchairs driving on streets and they do not have license tags either. Some people want this area to be like up North. It isn't and we don't want it to be. I remember when LCS had chickens running around. I liked that but they had to go because the newbies hated the chickens. Now it is unlicensed vehicles, golf carts, wheelchairs and what next electric scooters, they hate?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joco said:

Please say it isn't so. How will we survive if you jump in and then jump right out? My information is correct. There are no license plates for golf carts because golf carts are not designed for streets. I have 2 without any plates and cops wave as they pass me on the street.  A license plate is a road tax. It doesn't mean that the brakes work,  has insurance, won't stall out in the street, nothing. It means a tax was paid. 

Since they are not supposed to be on a street, there is not a road usage tax for them.

Many times I have seen electric wheelchairs driving on streets and they do not have license tags either. Some people want this area to be like up North. It isn't and we don't want it to be. I remember when LCS had chickens running around. I liked that but they had to go because the newbies hated the chickens. Now it is unlicensed vehicles, golf carts, wheelchairs and what next electric scooters, they hate?

 

 

awesome.  I totally agree.  I came to Mexico to get away from all the LAWS and oppression.  I love Mexico.  If people want it to be like the U.S. then please please go back to the U.S.  Please dont try to change it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Changes in the law may soon be implemented, per this March article in the GR.  

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/51564-commission-okays-final-draft-of-traffic-rules

Quote

 

The five-member panel headed by Oscar España Ramos, the municipal government’s elected legal counsel, met Tuesday, March 13 for a final review of the 55-page document titled Reglamento de Tránsito y Vialidad para el Municipio de Chapala. With a unanimous vote to accept the content with several minor revisions, the regulatory code will be presented to the full council body for final approval.  It will take effect following publication in the municipal gazette.

Asked to weigh in, Municipal Traffic Chief Carlo Alejandro Borrayo suggested avoiding a flat-out prohibition on golf carts on the understanding that only properly licensed owners will be allowed to circulate freely. In other words, golf cart owners must adhere to rules applied to all other motor vehicles according to Jalisco law. That entails obtaining license tags, keeping yearly registration documents up to date and holding insurance protection.  Drivers must also have valid driving permits issued in Jalisco, out of state, or out of country.

Commission members concurred with a proposal that may become problematic for golf carters since this state no longer issues tags and registrations for that type of vehicle. Some owners have obtained plates in other states which would presumably be legal here.

As for fines to be imposed for all types of traffic violations, the commission members agreed to simplify the municipal regulations by duplicating sanctions established by the state. They also accepted a suggestion to allow a one-month period of grace to forgive fines while citizens have an opportunity to become familiar with the local rules of the road.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Travis said:

There is already so much wrong/innacurate information in this thread - starting with post #2 - I'm unwilling to participate further. I'm too busy. If anyone is truly interested in factual information on the topic, I suggest you look somewhere besides this thread.

I'm out.

Very true Travis. A large percentage of threads on this board contain wrong/inaccurate information. As long as you read them for a laugh many of them are very entertaining. For any serious matter, be it legal, real estate, medical you had best take everything you read here with a huge grain of salt. You want info on where to buy something, food, restaurants, entertainment and DIY projects there is plenty of good stuff here. Oh, probably animal info also but since I don't have mascotas I can't vouch for that.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it's my age but I have been coming south since 1996, made an offer and purchased in 1997, and I don't ever remember chickens and/or roosters at the LCS.  Is it my memory failing and were there  chickens/roosters at the LCS in in 1997 and after, Or were they moved out before then?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Changes in the law may soon be implemented, per this March article in the GR.  

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/51564-commission-okays-final-draft-of-traffic-rules

 

This was about golf carts. Golf carts have never been legal to drive on any city street anywhere so there is no need to pass laws about licensing a vehicle that is not supposed to be driven on public streets. Electric wheelchairs are driven on the streets also. Are they going to pass licensing laws for them? They should allow golf carts. They take up less space, make less noise, less pollution, better for the environment and especially handy on narrow streets that cars have difficulty with. They should be encouraging people to drive golf carts instead, we will have a few voices in the foreign community who will complain because "it just can't be allowed, it isn't right, we didn't have that at home" so the carts and wheelchairs must go along with chickens and roosters.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...