Chapala.com Webboard

Coming for a Visit.

I am coming for a visit the second week of June (Fri June 8, 2018 to Thu June 14, 2018). I am looking for suggestions of things to see and do. I am staying at a b&b and will have a car. I really need to get enough info on this trip, to get my lovely wife convinced, that we should at least be spending our winters there, instead of the arctic climate of the High Mountain desert of Utah. Any suggestions, help or curiosities, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Loyal Adams     adams.loyal@gmail.com

Scipio, UT  84656-0142

Simple Pleasures:  Walk the Ajijic and Chapala malecons (boardwalks), walk thru downtown Ajijic and check out some of the shops, eat at a few of the nice restaurants (too many to list), talk to people -- both expats and Mexicans are very friendly here, check out the Lake Chapala Society and its library and information desk and grab one of their newsletters from the office, take a day trip or two with Charter Club, take in a performance at the Auditorio, stop into one of the real estate offices to get a free street map of the area, stroll thru the Vivero Cactus out west on the Carretera behind the 2nd Pemex gas station, come to an Open Circle on a Sunday at 10 a.m. at LCS, spend some time just sitting at the Ajijic Plaza (at the restaurant or at the coffee shop or just on a bench) to people-watch and take in the flavor of plaza life in Mexico, eat at the Real de Chapala Hotel -- not for the food particularly but for the lake view (although I hear they have a great Sunday brunch buffet), buy some fresh flowers for your room while out and about.  Not sure what may be going on during your dates, but if there's any kind of Mexican festival, parade, or event, be sure to check it out.  Read the weekly Guadalajara Reporter.  Take photos.  Ask around for where/when to go to listen to your favorite kind of music.  Buy some candy or nuts from the guys with the pushcarts.  Hope you have a lovely time.

If arriving the second week of June, that is our official start of the rainy season here.  Rain comes mostly late evening and early mornings, think heavy monsoon rain - have an umbrella on hand in the late afternoons.  In all honesty, there are not a lot of sights and must do's in the area, apart from walking the gorgeous malecones, hanging out in the small but quaint plazas and checking out the restaurant scene.  Carolina summed it up quite nicely.  I would also like to suggest, while in Chapala, check out the magnificient train station and the leafy Cristiania Park, and perhaps take a boat ride ride out on the lake to Scorpion Island or Mezcala Island with the latter being the more interesting.   The short day trips from the lake are fun.  Check out downtown Guadalajara and beautiful Tlaquepaque.  If you like high class and gorgeous zoos, there is none finer than the Guadalajara Zoo and its African Safari, one of the nicest in the world.  You could also check out the archaeological park of Los Guachimontones, the only round pyramids in all of Mexico.  Or just take a day trip driving around the lake and visiting the small towns along the way.  There also old haciendas not terribly far away to explore.  You could also hike up to the water falls of Tepalo, just above Ajijic.  Have fun and don't feel rushed, it is a very relaxing area, it is nothing like spending a week in Rome with 200 must see sights to see in 7 days, hehehe.

Take the Charter Club day trip to Guadalajara with their knowledgeable guide.  You'll get to see the great old city and get a different sense of Mexico than you will get from the Lakeside towns.  By all means, stroll the Malecons (walkways) next to the lake in Ajijic and Chapala.  Plus, the previous posts' suggestions are good ones.  Be very careful walking on the cobblestones.  You won't convince your wife to relocate here if she becomes another "fallen woman" on them.

The rainy season has warm rain, so wear summer clothing and carry an umbrella.  Have a grand time!

Great ideas by Dichosalocura and Gringal, and thanx for the compliments on mine!

There are some great suggestions, some I didn't know about. But a lot of them are more tourist basis. Nothing wrong with that but he wants them to live there part time. What is your day to day. What are your clubs, organizations, activity center, etc.

7 minutes ago, El congrejo said:

For living in Mexico only part time I would visit Cuyutlan, a 2 1/2 hour drive and Manzanillo, 3+, as winter housing options.

Nice to compare your options before the plunge.  

What......and do without LCS?

Archived