Chapala.com Webboard

GOOD chinese food anywhere?

Dan M

I am looking for a “good”  or better quality Chinese restaurant Lakeside with no luck. Been to Min Wah in Ajijic and the food court at Central Laguna and both were low end barely edible pseudo- Chinese food... Do I need to drive to Guadalajara?  I heard Roberto’s has a Chinese menu on Sunday nights only. Wondering if its any good or just more of the same?  

More of the same. There is one Chinese place only lakeside: in Jocotepec about a block past the lights on your left. The China Inn, 387 763 3155. It is the only place where the separate dishes taste like individual dishes, and when you are finished, not one big soup of goo. Large selection, decent prices, plus sushi. Restaurant itself is pretty basic.

You thought the place at Centro Laguna was bad... wait 'til you try the place inside Soriana. The only good thing left at Min Wah is the sizzling rice soup.

CG, have you been there recently? I haven’t. The last time it was very disappointing for the first time ever. The woman was not there and we hoped she was just on one of her trips to China and not gone.  Since I live in Chapala it is a long way to drive to be disappointed. I have not driven further west than Rincon de Frida since.

In  need of a taste of Asia, I go to Chopsticks. It's run by a couple to are, I believe, Laotian, but could be wrong on the country. They are located in the very back of the ground floor of the Bugainvilla complex on the Carreterra in Ajijic,  next to the street where the Wednesday market is held. 

About the food:  Delicious potstickers and spring rolls in various fillings.  Small menu with some noodle dishes, sandwiches and soups.  Outstanding home made pies and ice cream. Chopsticks on request. Reasonable prices.  Very basic decor. Good service.

One of my top favorites for lunch ! Lunch only; opens at 11:30.

Otherwise, there just isn't any really good Chinese food in the area, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Xena said:

CG, have you been there recently? I haven’t. The last time it was very disappointing for the first time ever. The woman was not there and we hoped she was just on one of her trips to China and not gone.  Since I live in Chapala it is a long way to drive to be disappointed. I have not driven further west than Rincon de Frida since.

About six weeks ago, did a massive takeout. Was okay then...?

39 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

About six weeks ago, did a massive takeout. Was okay then...?

Thanks! My last visit was a lot longer ago than that. Time to go back — if I can get past Frida’s and those bacon sandwiches!

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Are you describing the Joco Chinese restaurant? The Japanese woman takes off  to San Francisco and Las Vegas quite often, not China. The food should be the same since the other operator is always there. I'm not sure but I think he is her half brother or other relative. They live in the same house. 

1 minute ago, Joco said:

Are you describing the Joco Chinese restaurant? The Japanese woman takes off  to San Francisco and Las Vegas quite often, not China. The food should be the same since the other operator is always there. I'm not sure but I think he is her half brother or other relative. They live in the same house. 

Yes. And I never had a problem before even when she wasn’t there. But that time both my friend and I were so disappointed. Must have been a bad day. Although in all the years going there never had a bad experience.

3 hours ago, Dan M said:

CG-What is the name of this place in Joco? The phone number does not want to connect when I tried calling just now.  

Sorry, looks like I did the perfect typo at the wrong time. 387-763-3155, China Inn.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

More of the same. There is one Chinese place only lakeside: in Jocotepec about a block past the lights on your left. The China Inn, 387 763 3155. It is the only place where the separate dishes taste like individual dishes, and when you are finished, not one big soup of goo. Large selection, decent prices, plus sushi. Restaurant itself is pretty basic.

You thought the place at Centro Laguna was bad... wait 'til you try the place inside Soriana. The only good thing left at Min Wah is the sizzling rice soup.

I think the hot and sour soup at Min Wah is good.

OP,  if you're ever in Mexico City, there are two really wonderful Chinese restaurants here.  Neither is aimed at the foreign client; both are always filled with Chinese people.  One serves honest-to-god Hong Kong dim sum and other fantastic dishes from that area.  The other specializes in Shaanshi and Sichuan cooking.  It's been a couple of months since I've gone to either--moving house and traveling outside CDMX have kept me away.  I'm thinking I'll go tomorrow for comida.  

There's no restaurant at Lakeside or in Guadalajara that can compare to these two.  Both are very, very downscale in appearance but OMG the food...

Dry-Fried Green Beans 1.jpg

Spicy Noodles 1.jpg

On 5/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, Xena said:

Thanks! My last visit was a lot longer ago than that. Time to go back — if I can get past Frida’s and those bacon sandwiches!

Umm, bacon...?

On 5/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, Xena said:

Are those with real thick sliced bacon?  The butcher I go to could not believe how thick I wanted the bacon sliced.  😀

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Are those with real thick sliced bacon?  The butcher I go to could not believe how thick I wanted the bacon sliced.  😀

No. Sorry. It is a thick pile of thinly sliced bacon cooked to the perfect (for me) degree of doneness. Has lettuce, tomato, and avocado on a light, grainy bread. It would be a meal in itself but we order his home fried potatoes, cut in cubes and fried crispy outside, soft and hot inside. That and a glass of fresh strawberry water. Sigh. I most often bring half the sandwich home for later when it is still delicious. 

6 minutes ago, Xena said:

No. Sorry. It is a thick pile of thinly sliced bacon cooked to the perfect (for me) degree of doneness. Has lettuce, tomato, and avocado on a light, grainy bread. It would be a meal in itself but we order his home fried potatoes, cut in cubes and fried crispy outside, soft and hot inside. That and a glass of fresh strawberry water. Sigh. I most often bring half the sandwich home for later when it is still delicious. 

What are you doing putting a salad in bacon sandwich?  hahaha just kidding.  For me, a layer of thick bacon and yellow mustard on grainy bread.

56 minutes ago, Tiny said:

What are you doing putting a salad in bacon sandwich?  hahaha just kidding.  For me, a layer of thick bacon and yellow mustard on grainy bread.

Normally I would agree with you. However, there is such a pile of bacon that it is not overwhelmed by the “salad.” Rather the “salad” just complements the bacon. We have said he could just dump it all in a bowl, lose the bread, and call it Bacon Salad. 

I guess the "just kidding" was missed. A BLT, or a version of it, is one of my favorite sandwiches. For that sandwich, I would use thin sliced bacon cooked crispy.  But if I just want a bacon sandwich, it would be thick sliced bacon cooked to just before it starts to crisp. Where it is cooked but still soft and juicy. 

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

Normally I would agree with you. However, there is such a pile of bacon that it is not overwhelmed by the “salad.” Rather the “salad” just complements the bacon. We have said he could just dump it all in a bowl, lose the bread, and call it Bacon Salad. 

Xena, thanks for the description and the idea! A bacon salad will be on my list of "what to fix" for supper some day next week. Don't see how I can go wrong.

Archived