Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T RIP OFF

Zeb

Need some suggestions of what our options are.  I just got a phone number and paid for one year of cell service from AT&T.  The service does not work.  I have been there five times.  They refuse to give a refund saying we have to drive to Guadalajara to get our money back.  I paid cash at the store.  They refuse to provide the name of someone else we can speak to and just laughed at us when we got mad.

Is there anything here to help a consumer in this situation?

Did it work in the location you were paying cash a year in advance? You did try it before you forked over the cash, right? Losing one's temper in Mexico is about the worst sin you can commit. When Mexicans start laughing in your face you have gone WAY too far with the histrionics. Better to mention calmly that you have a friend who takes care of these situations for you then quickly take a picture with your phone. Can't do any worse than you already have.

Many are called, few are chosen.

The phone did work at their location only.  The woman said to us today that the problem was the signal from our house, which is not true, as we have another cell phone from Telcel which does work from our house.  Okay, so we didn't handle as you suggested.  We were not hysterical, but visibly angry.  We did get upset when she refused to get a refund sent to us.  Anyway, its done, so we can't change it.  The most helpful thing now is what can we do about it to get our money back.  We want a refund sent to us in whatever form they can manage if they can't give cash back.

As I understand it, there is PROFECO.  I looked at their website and don't understand it.  I was able to find a small brochure it English, which I printed out, however,   I have their toll free number, however, I don't know if there would be an English speaker to help.

How's about taking their advice and going to Guadalajara? Makes no difference if you or I think that's not fair. If that's the way they do it.......Do It!

"Go to Guadalajara" is not a rare request.  One year I paid for my IMSS coverage in Chapala per their figures.  Then, I was notified that it was actually 50 pesos more and told me that the only way it could be paid was to go to their main office in Guadalajara or my coverage would be cancelled.  So, I went to Guadalajara and had to go to a bank and get a check issued for 50 pesos. It was a hot, smoggy day and took ALL day due to the bureaucracy shuffle dance.

Hint:  they really don't give a spit how inconvenient, costly, time consuming or generally a PITA it is.  It just is the way it is.

"Resistance is futile:  you WILL be assimilated" (the Borg).  If you want your money........go.  Then stick with Telcel.

Advice: Never get mad in Mexico.  Never expect refunds in Mexico. Never expect things to be anything close to like they were “back home“.  Adjust, or be adjusted.

Mexicans are friendly and very helpful, but you must play by their rules of customary behavior. If you need help, start with a greeting, smiles and handshakes. Then ask politely for help. Then, follow their instructions exactly, with a smile and verbal expressions of gratitude.

Oh.....Never tip a person who volunteered to help or assist. It is an insult.

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

"Go to Guadalajara" is not a rare request.  One year I paid for my IMSS coverage in Chapala per their figures.  Then, I was notified that it was actually 50 pesos more and told me that the only way it could be paid was to go to their main office in Guadalajara or my coverage would be cancelled.  So, I went to Guadalajara and had to go to a bank and get a check issued for 50 pesos. It was a hot, smoggy day and took ALL day due to the bureaucracy shuffle dance.

Hint:  they really don't give a spit how inconvenient, costly, time consuming or generally a PITA it is.  It just is the way it is.

"Resistance is futile:  you WILL be assimilated" (the Borg).  If you want your money........go.  Then stick with Telcel.

TelCel??? I had been with Telcel for the past three years.  Last month, I needed to make a lot of calls to the US, to get a bunch of address changes accomplished quickly.  Normally, I made very few calls using the cell phone.  My service quit working, so I went to their office to find out what the problem was.  Well, the corporate office decided I made too many calls, (although, my plan was unlimited calling for all of North America), so they discontinued my service.  The clerk said this has happened to several of his customers and it did not help to provide another number and start over.  They cut that off after a couple of weeks at all.  Totally false advertising.    Made no sense at all.  That's how I ended up at AT&T.

10 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Advice: Never get mad in Mexico.  Never expect refunds in Mexico. Never expect things to be anything close to like they were “back home“.  Adjust, or be adjusted.

Mexicans are friendly and very helpful, but you must play by their rules of customary behavior. If you need help, start with a greeting, smiles and handshakes. Then ask politely for help. Then, follow their instructions exactly, with a smile and verbal expressions of gratitude.

Oh.....Never tip a person who volunteered to help or assist. It is an insult.

I don't expect things to be as they were "back home."  I totally forgot that when I paid for a year's service.  I was way too trusting.  I assuming all would work.

1 minute ago, pappysmarket said:

Angus said it all!!

I no longer see his postings as I usually find them offensive and critical, so I don't know what he said.  In any event, my request was for advice on how to handle the situation as it currently stands.  I am only interested in helpful comments, not being criticized.

Probably your best bet would be to take the discussion over to the Octagon on TOB. I'm sure you would get much more sympathy there and excellent suggestions as to what you should do.

Hire a good lawyer or do what AT&T told you to do, a trip to Guadalajara might be cheaper but if you really want to teach them a lesson go the lawyer route. They start to shake and completely fold at the mention of legal action.

Any lawyer who takes this case, please PM me for instructions on where to send my referral fee.

16 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Probably your best bet would be to take the discussion over to the Octagon on TOB. I'm sure you would get much more sympathy there and excellent suggestions as to what you should do.

I doubt that it would belong in the Octagon, as that is reserved for personal fighting and/or political matters.  As I see it, this poster has only two choices:  Go to Guadalajara and get his refund or spend lots of time and money in an exercise in futility through the court system.  Advice and sympathy:  Life is too short for this uproar.

2 minutes ago, gringal said:

I doubt that it would belong in the Octagon, as that is reserved for personal fighting and/or political matters.  As I see it, this poster has only two choices:  Go to Guadalajara and get his refund or spend lots of time and money in an exercise in futility through the court system.  Advice and sympathy:  Life is too short for this uproar.

I think you know my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, LOL.

5 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I think you know my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek, LOL.

Yes, and so was mine. (Grin).  I encountered the bureaucratic sinkhole long ago in Mexico as well as recently and do have a wee bit of empathy for those to whom it's happening for the first time.  😝

This is the first time I've had this type of reaction from people in a shop and I hope the last.   I don't see how how this is my fault.  I don't think laughing at customers who are upset is okay.

Thanks for those who offered realistic options.  I will see what we can do.  One thing I want to do is file a complaint against Telmex, with Profeco for cutting off my phone service for too many calls.  I don't know if they will accept the complaint or do anything about it, but I was not the only one to whom this has happened.  I think it is not okay to advertise unlimited calls ,then cut someone off because they don't like the numbers of calls being made.

10 minutes ago, Zeb said:

This is the first time I've had this type of reaction from people in a shop and I hope the last.   I don't see how how this is my fault.  I don't think laughing at customers who are upset is okay.

Thanks for those who offered realistic options.  I will see what we can do.  One thing I want to do is file a complaint against Telmex, with Profeco for cutting off my phone service for too many calls.  I don't know if they will accept the complaint or do anything about it, but I was not the only one to whom this has happened.  I think it is not okay to advertise unlimited calls ,then cut someone off because they don't like the numbers of calls being made.

Didn't you say it was Telcel that cut you off?

27 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Yes.  That is correct.

So why would you file a complaint about Telmex if Telcel was the company that cut you off? What am I missing?

I sympathize Zeb because I'm in somewhat the same situation.

Telcel USED to work in my house and, when Telmex was down, I could use my iPhone as a hotspot. Now I can't even get a signal for a phone call. Considering that my landline was CUT by a Telmex Contratista installing a new line around the corner, you'd think it would be an easy fix. But no, nothing has happened since April 27th. And I am using my neighbour's wifi to post this.

I signed up with AT&T for a TWO WEEK period to check and see if it will work. That was only a 100 pesos. It should kick in tomorrow at noon. Vamos a ver.

You're in Riberas too. If you look up at the tower, you will see that it is considerably shorter than it used to be... like about by 2/3. Telcel can't say what's going on with the towers nor can AT&T. I do so love being a mushroom... just keep me in the dark and keep throwing $hit at me. I'll thrive.

Just go to Guadalajara and get your money back. It's less stressful. And, I have also signed up for iLox because, after 22 years of dealing with Telmex, I'm done.

Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

So why would you file a complaint about Telmex if Telcel was the company that cut you off? What am I missing?

I would file the complaint against TelCel, not Telmex.  I may have made a composition error in my post.

20 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I sympathize Zeb because I'm in somewhat the same situation.

Telcel USED to work in my house and, when Telmex was down, I could use my iPhone as a hotspot. Now I can't even get a signal for a phone call. Considering that my landline was CUT by a Telmex Contratista installing a new line around the corner, you'd think it would be an easy fix. But no, nothing has happened since April 27th. And I am using my neighbour's wifi to post this.

I signed up with AT&T for a TWO WEEK period to check and see if it will work. That was only a 100 pesos. It should kick in tomorrow at noon. Vamos a ver.

You're in Riberas too. If you look up at the tower, you will see that it is considerably shorter than it used to be... like about by 2/3. Telcel can't say what's going on with the towers nor can AT&T. I do so love being a mushroom... just keep me in the dark and keep throwing $hit at me. I'll thrive.

Just go to Guadalajara and get your money back. It's less stressful. And, I have also signed up for iLox because, after 22 years of dealing with Telmex, I'm done.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for your viewpoint.  We will probably do as you suggest.  Life is too short for this kind of crap...frankly.  What is iLox?  A different land line service?  We are having our new home hard wired, and need to pick phone service, so all information is appreciated.

Archived