Chapala.com Webboard

Vist from D.I.F. - mozzies

We had a visit in Chapalas Hacienda today from a D.I.F. environmental officer. He was asking if we problems with mosquitoes, Ms. Chillin told him only in rainy season, and an area of the bamboo grove. He would spray he said, he demonstrated it was safe by spraying on his hand. He said it is best to spray every ten days. Asked where to get the spray. He said it is available in Ajijic. He said he could sell us a bottle for 150 pesos. Later I noticed the label it says the maxinum price was 499 pesos - so a real bargain. It is called Relax, it is a totally natural concoction made in Guadalajara. You can spray it on your skin or surrondings - it smells wonderful! Its warning is not too spray around children.

I can't find a website, maybe on facebook. The name of the company is Labratorio d Vida, their phone number 4 448124. I would like to know if I can buy it at the D.I.F. office in Chapala.

Make real sure it doesn't have pyrethrum or pyrethrins in it.  This is supposed to be made from chrysanthemum flowers and it is toxic.  Heed the caution about children ... It isn't just children.  My husband was exposed to the spray for several months before we found it compromised his immune system.  He was allergic to it on top of it being toxic.  This was a year ago and his immune system is still n the tank.  He is now having to take immuniglobins every month at $2500 U S. Per month and is now taking stem cells as well.  It also kills bees and we need them desperately.

No, nothing nasty, about 12 aromatherpy grade essential oils. It contains some cedar oil, and tea tree oil, which might irritate sensitive skin. After reading the label again, it seems to be recommended for environmental areas, I don't imagine anyone in a restaurant would object to it's smell The last ingredient though is tw22 as a preservative. This might be a new, startup company, which landed a lucrative contract with D.I.F. Does it work, don't know yet

Now why would a DIF officer (whatever that is exactly) be out selling bottles of spray, hmmm? Last year someone sold us a bottle but was going door to door, and it wasn't any "official". Tiny spray bottle it was.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Now why would a DIF officer (whatever that is exactly) be out selling bottles of spray, hmmm? Last year someone sold us a bottle but was going door to door, and it wasn't any "official". Tiny spray bottle it was.

They do used to do this all the time in Puerto Vallarta, they would ask to come in your home, and find any potential mosquito breeding sites. They used to give you a small bag of BT virus mosquito killer, they used to sell BT at D.I.F.. BT uses seems to be on the "out" list since Dupont puts it genes in corn. The worst problem for insect carrying areas are poor areas, and the biggest offenders are old, discarded tires. Ms. Chillin recognised his badge, uniform and I.D.

Yes, we often get them coming to check, but never have been offered anything for sale. And of course some of the ne'er-do-well take the opportunity to try and scam people by keeping them occupied in one area while robbing another part of the house; these are not actually DIF people, of course.

Good ole 100% DEET does the trick for me. Great stuff and at my age I don't worry about side effects as long as things work.

YMMV

17 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

In the original post I thought that the product (Relax) was to be used to kill mosquitoes. Subsequent links (and translations) lead me to believe that Relax is used to soothe mosquito bites. Which is it?

It is used for skin, and as an area repellent. At this point is all snake oil, but it sure does smell nice. DEET is OK, if you can get over the nervous ticks, and the fact that your testicles will now glow blue in the dark.

There's another thing I read about in a Science column of a newspaper and don't know why it's not being used all over the world where mosquitos are a problem. They experimented with putting out containers of fermented fruit or flower juice (which is apparently the main food source of mosquitoes- it's only the breeding females who actually are the blood suckers and transferers of dengue, zika and malaria) with some chemical in it and it reduced the local mosquito population by 90% within a week. However, the chemical they used was quite expensive, not something the local people would be able to afford (this was somewhere in Africa). So they tried it with a few drops of boric acid instead of the other chemical, and it worked just as well.

This Relax stuff, from what is quoted above, says it is a mosquito repellent, not that it actually kills them. Might work great as a repellent, but I find a few drops of tea tree oil rubbed on the skin works fine as well.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

It is used for skin, and as an area repellent. At this point is all snake oil, but it sure does smell nice. DEET is OK, if you can get over the nervous ticks, and the fact that your testicles will now glow blue in the dark.

Wow, you must be kinky, how would you know?

Edit:  Wait, I know the answer to my own question......you Googled it, right?

PS it's tic used in that context.

The comment about DEET brought the predictable response from the easily predictable corners. Dr. Pavlov long ago provided the evidence for such responses.

38 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

The comment about DEET brought the predictable response from the easily predictable corners. Dr. Pavlov long ago provided the evidence for such responses.

What a ridiculous comment. Oops, never mind. I just drooled.

Archived