Chapala.com Webboard

Gardner to be

28 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Some people actually like growing their own, it has nothing to do with the cost of produce in the markets.

Si, entiendo. But many newbies that want to continue doing what they did NOB are not aware that finding seedling vegs and fruits at all kinds of stores are not exactly that easy here. Not trying to dissuade anyone from gardening, just trying to save some "hunting all over the place" time. Mexicans being somewhat more picky with their time generally do not grow their own cucumbers or tomatoes.....thus not a huge supply to pick from.

YMMV

10 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Si, entiendo. But many newbies that want to continue doing what they did NOB are not aware that finding seedling vegs and fruits at all kinds of stores are not exactly that easy here. Not trying to dissuade anyone from gardening, just trying to save some "hunting all over the place" time. Mexicans being somewhat more picky with their time generally do not grow their own cucumbers or tomatoes.....thus not a huge supply to pick from.

YMMV

I got my tree starts and seeds for watermelon, rubbard, and flowers from Mercado Libre

It might be too late to start the seeds this year, unless you have hydroponic, which is definetely the way to go. The rains typically start heavy in mid July. Since there has never been frost here, many funguses, insects and disease seem to show up. plaga, mildew, boring insects - thats just off the top of my head. Laura at the Garden Center in Riberas, by 711 has a seed rack but I haven't had much luck with them. I am more and more convinced you need a heated seed mat to germinate seedlings, because the nights are too cold (low sixties).

Hazelnut trees will produce in three years. A neighbour has a lemon tree with 4 lemons on it, and the plant is less than two years. We are growing "Big Boy" tomatoes, very productive, but the tomatoes can weigh up to 1 lb!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

I got my tree starts and seeds for watermelon, rubbard, and flowers from Mercado Libre

Hahaha, I can just picture a newbie driving around lakeside and asking for directions to "mercado libre". "Is that in Chapala or past there?"

• Haha 1

Two to five years in a California type climate.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-hazelnuts-seeds-49350.html

Tiny actually has the right idea, growing a legacy tree, for someone who has passed over. A respectful plaque, and years of enjoyment well after you are gone. But I don't know what rubbard is - is a cross between Collard greens and Rhubarb?

1 minute ago, CHILLIN said:

Tiny actually has the right idea, growing a legacy tree, for someone who has passed over. A respectful plaque, and years of enjoyment well after you are gone.

My legacy tree is the walnut tree.  My kids already know I am "nuts".  To them. I am "Gringo Loco".

21 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Gee, the story says:

"A newly planted hazelnut tree does not start producing a nut crop until the tree becomes established. A first hazelnut crop can be expected within two to five years of planting the tree."

No mention of the time the seed takes to become a transplant.

I planted a 7 year old mandarina a few months ago. It will be years before it flourishes, but it has a dozen or more ready to pick right now, and probably a hundred green babies. Sure glad I didn't go the seedling route...

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

It might be too late to start the seeds this year, unless you have hydroponic, which is definetely the way to go. The rains typically start heavy in mid July. Since there has never been frost here, many funguses, insects and disease seem to show up. plaga, mildew, boring insects - thats just off the top of my head. Laura at the Garden Center in Riberas, by 711 has a seed rack but I haven't had much luck with them. I am more and more convinced you need a heated seed mat to germinate seedlings, because the nights are too cold (low sixties).

Do you refrigerate your seeds?  I have instructions from a nursery here that says if you refrigerate the seeds in water for three days that it will cut the germination time that normally takes 30 to 60 days down to 14 days.  I did it with my seeds and they had germinated in less than 14 days. The refrigerating acts to the seeds that they have gone through a cold season.

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

Do you refrigerate your seeds?  I have instructions from a nursery here that says if you refrigerate the seeds in water for three days that it will cut the germination time that normally takes 30 to 60 days down to 14 days.  I did it with my seeds and they had germinated in less than 14 days. The refrigerating acts to the seeds that they have gone through a cold season.

I refrigerate my seeds not to speed germination time (which perhaps it does) but because they stay viable that way for much longer. I have planted seeds that have been in the fridge for 4 years and still got great germination rate.

11 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Or the seven years it takes to get tree fruit from a seed.

The OP asked about tomato and cucumber plants, not fruit trees. And for many gardeners, the point is not instant gratification- there is a happiness and contentment to be gotten from planting something, nurturing it, and watching it grow. The reward is not the fruit, it is the doing of it all. Of course, it's also fantastic when you get your first piece of fruit off of it. 

When I lived in Canada, there was an old peach tree in my backyard. It had been neglected for years before I bought the property, not pruned or cared for. It would produce nothing for three years in a row, then have a huge bumper crop of peaches to the point where I had canned 40 jars, frozen 40 bags full, made peach pies and cobblers until me and the kids were thoroughly sick of them and I was begging my friends to take peaches, please.  One day I was out on the sidewalk chatting with the 79 year old woman who lived down the block, and who had lived there all her life. I asked her if she wanted to come back and look at my garden. We wandered back there and she got tears in her eyes when she saw the peach tree. She told me she remembered watching the guy who used to live there planting the peach pit that grew into that tree when she was 7 years old. 

You can't buy that in the market.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

The OP asked about tomato and cucumber seeds, not fruit trees.

I didn't realize there were such strict rules concerning what we can and cannot discuss in any given thread. Good thing you're here to keep us on the straight and narrow, nurse Ratched.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I didn't realize there were such strict rules concerning what we can and cannot discuss in any given thread. Good thing you're here to keep us on the straight and narrow, nurse Ratched.

That is right. We cannot talk about the "fruits" and "nuts" in here.

The OP asked where s/he could buy bedding plants, not seeds.

The nursery just as you enter Jocotepec has a great variety of beautiful herbs. It is across the road from the PeMex station as you enter town. It is at the weird intersection where you go to the malecon. The nursery has a chain link fence around it and they have plants out in front. Can’t miss it. I was impressed by the selection and health of the plants.