Chapala.com Webboard

HSB ATM fees

Charles Schwab, no fees at any ATM anywhere in the world.  Actually the fee is charged at time of withdrawal and refunded at close of month.  I average $20 to $25 USD in refunded fees monthly, so those fees do add up.  

15 hours ago, Lexy said:

Thank you. Guess it's worth making the effort to get to CIBanco, even if they do run out of money from time to  time.

How much can you take out of the CIBanco ATM at one time? Some ATMs have a 3,000 or 5,000 limit. We can take 15,000 out of the HSBC ATM. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

The Banorte branch we use here in PV allows 50,000 at a time.

I would first have to be approved for a loan before I come take that much out.  HAHAHA

As a practical matter most bank debit cards won't allow that much but Banorte scored a PR victory when they posted those limits.

I believe $45. They get a large number of cruise ship folks who withdraw anywhere from $100-500 for walking around money so I think it's a very profitable location for them.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:18 PM, bournemouth said:

I just used the ATM opposite Walmart and am sad to see the fees have gone from a reasonable 33 pesos to 55 pesos.  Just a heads up.

Thanks for the heads up.  That's the ATM I use most people then with my Schwab card.  While Schwab does refund ATM fees I see no reason to use high-resolution machines unless there is no other choice.  I don't like CIBanco because invite their screen very difficult to see and they seem to have lower limits than HSBC.

I think the CIBanco limit is $20,000 per transaction, at least I've gotten that amount out in the past when the exchange rate was over 20 as I have my daily Schwab limit set at $1000 US.  Several friends have had their debit cards eaten by those HSBC machines in the bank across from Walmart.  I've also used those occasionally in the past, I no longer do.  They will not retrieve your card for you.  At least Bancomer will do that for you for the highest fee Lakeside.  Establishing a Schwab account before coming here or if afterwards, having a US address, bank account, and phone number to use in the process, is a very wise move.  You can use any ATM wordwide for free.  Just don't tell them you live outside the US!

I keep hearing about the Schwab account. It sounds like a great recommendation to avoid this problem of increased/inconsistent/high ATM fees.

To clarify, though, is it the "Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking Account" at https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account ? If so, does anyone know the minimum amount you have to deposit in a linked Schwab One brokerage account to waive the monthly fee? The footnote says the minimum balance to qualify for interest is $0.01 but I have a hard time believing you can drop one penny into it and avoid a monthly charge. Anyway, I'm happy with what my investment guy is doing but wouldn't have a problem moving $20-30k over to Schwab if it meant no ATM fees or foreign transaction costs.

14 minutes ago, Sorn said:

I keep hearing about the Schwab account. It sounds like a great recommendation to avoid this problem of increased/inconsistent/high ATM fees.

To clarify, though, is it the "Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking Account" at https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/banking_lending/checking_account ? If so, does anyone know the minimum amount you have to deposit in a linked Schwab One brokerage account to waive the monthly fee? The footnote says the minimum balance to qualify for interest is $0.01 but I have a hard time believing you can drop one penny into it and avoid a monthly charge. Anyway, I'm happy with what my investment guy is doing but wouldn't have a problem moving $20-30k over to Schwab if it meant no ATM fees or foreign transaction costs.

You have to open a brokerage account in order to open a checking account, but you do not have to fund it.  Our brokerage account balance was opened as zero and remains zero.   In addition to refunding ATM fees, interest is paid on our checking account.  

I don't pay any fees at HSBC  here as my HSBC bank in Canada says I´'m a preferred customer-whatever that is. The maximum I've taken out in a day on one card is 12,000.

7 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Santander bank in Chapala charger 32.31 and theirs in Soriana is about 27.80. They have a max of about 8,600 a withdrawal.  

Unfortunately Santander is really inconvenient for parking and I almost never go to Soriana. $8600 is a pretty low limit also compared to what HSBC allows.  One larger withdrawal at HSBC would cost pretty close to what two smaller withdrawals at Santander would cost.  Maybe it will have to be CIBanco from now on but I really have trouble seeing that screen, maybe because of the board in it from outside.  

Archived