Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Question.  I understand that AT&T has an office either in Chapala or at the Laguna Mall across the street from Walmart. Might it be the same as Telcel?  We have Guadalajara area codes. Is there any chance that this program might be available here? Although Bournemouth is probably right, you might just in case you can get that package here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johanson said:

Question.  I understand that AT&T has an office either in Chapala or at the Laguna Mall across the street from Walmart. Might it be the same as Telcel?  We have Guadalajara area codes. Is there any chance that this program might be available here? Although Bournemouth is probably right, you might just in case you can get that package here.

I actually saw the WiFi SSID on my radio listing... so it looks like it is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

I actually saw the WiFi SSID on my radio listing... so it looks like it is available. 

If the service was WiFi, no device would be needed to subscribe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AT&T indeed has an office in the Laguna Mall.  One needs to have a permanente and sign up for a 2 year lease.  I think their price quoted me (sorry for lack of perfect memory on this) was $399p per month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One would want to either already have or have a friend who has AT&T cellular service at Lakeside to ‘test’ how good the cell reception will be at their casa.... inside where they might would want to place the AT&T modem before purchasing. I wonder how strong the wifi signal is that comes out of the modem... expecially in Mexican houses. Wouldn’t want to sign up for 2 years only to find out that the AT&T signal was lousy inside your casa.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason I don't have the ATT internet is that they do not have any modems yet. It has been "we'll have them next week" for the last 3 weeks. They don't even have them in Guadalajara yet. You have a choice of 5 mbs or 10 mbs under the residential plan. A friend said he found on the website that you DO have limits on total GB per month, so streaming for primary TV is out, The young woman in Laguna Magno told me there was no limit GB per month. I don't think the sales people have really been trained on internet yet. 10 mbs would be a big improvement for me.

We have had the AT&T Cellular service for two years now and the coverage is excellent, working well inside my typical brick and plaster house. I have only found myself out of service a couple of places en rout to the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly says UPTO 5 or 10mbs depending on your package and after 150 gb might go to 2 mbs.

Also you have to pay for their modem. Either one payment of 1200 pesos or monthly.

Will be interesting to see if it is available here and 10mbs is achievable consistantly.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From ATT website:

Todos los planes AT&T Internet en Casa son sin límite de datos. Al llegar a los 150 GB de consumo, la velocidad de navegación puede cambiar a 2 Mbps, en ambos planes 10 o 5 Mpbs(150 GB equivalen aproximadamente a 50 hrs de video HD o 200 hrs de video SD)

All AT&T plans are without limit on data. After 150 GB are used, you speed is reduced to 2MBS for the 5MBS plan and 5MBs for the 10. (150 GB is the approximate equivalent of 50 hours of HD or 200 hours of standard def video.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can use most smart phones as a WiFi hot spot. It is not an ideal situation, but when I am at the LCS and when their WiFi is down, I simply take out my iPhone, turn on my hot spot option and connect my laptop to my iPhone connection and I have internet via my iPhone and in my case, my Telcel package.

If your iPhone has a data connection from whatever carrier, you can use it to provide folks close to say your iPhone internet access. The trouble is that one has to be quite close to the hot spot, unlike a modem or router with antennas thereon meant to spread the Wifi signal to a much larger area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still have our AT&T service from the states because we cant port our US number.For anyone in the states we have a plan for 149 USD that includes unlimited data , text and phone . Definitely a savings for us becuase the fisrst day we were here without the plan we spent 100 just on data.then switched plans to the 149 unlimited plan.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

For anyone in the states we have a plan for 149 USD that includes unlimited data , text and phone .

4

For that much money you should get an escort with it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

Clearly says UPTO 5 or 10mbs depending on your package and after 150 gb might go to 2 mbs.

Also you have to pay for their modem. Either one payment of 1200 pesos or monthly.

Will be interesting to see if it is available here and 10mbs is achievable consistantly.

I'm serious considering this package as an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ATT plan NOB for my smart phone that allows unlimited calls, texts and data (including roaming) to and from (and in) Mexico.  The down side is that for calls people in Mexico must dial as if I'm in the US (and I assume vice versa.  I'm wondering what kind of speeds I'll get if I use my phone as a hot spot.  I guess I'll find out in June when we get down there.   (BTW, we are on a friend's plan and pay much, much less that $149.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orygun Duck said:

I have an ATT plan NOB for my smart phone that allows unlimited calls, texts and data (including roaming) to and from (and in) Mexico.  The down side is that for calls people in Mexico must dial as if I'm in the US (and I assume vice versa.  I'm wondering what kind of speeds I'll get if I use my phone as a hot spot.  I guess I'll find out in June when we get down there.   (BTW, we are on a friend's plan and pay much, much less that $149.)

I will have to get in contact with AT&T about the rate. Thanks for the heads up. It does include 3 phones.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: I went to ATT and wanted to try the system prior to purchasing the modem for 1200p. It is buy and try! So I purchased a SIM card for 100p and tried to see if I'm in a dead zone. The store location in Data format supplied around 22Mbps, the same test at home 0.5 to 2.5. Note that the store location supplied 4G, something I can't acquire at home!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an AT&T iphone from Houston which I use so that my friends back home can call for free.  I always have service but my friends say my voice is not clear and I then call them on my Telcel phone.  So I got a email from At&T Mexico saying that all I had to do was sign up and pay the monthly fee and they would send the modem!!.  I had been in the office at Laguna Centro and they wanted a year's money up front and the young couple their was clueless about the service and said it really was Telmex.  That was about six months ago.  So I intend  to find out what the real scoop is as I was about to give ILox a year's subscription and then wait a year while they install fiber optic.  I really don't want to go through the installation process as I am in a frac and it would be great if the email I got is legit.  I will let you know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ATT wireless router is 2100 Pesos purchase price. The Internet service fee is 350 pesos/month for 10mbps service plan. You need good ATT cell tel service coverage for the product to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Paco Loco said:

The ATT wireless router is 2100 Pesos purchase price. The Internet service fee is 350 pesos/month for 10mbps service plan. You need good ATT cell tel service coverage for the product to work.

If you don't have good AT&T signal, you can get the same package from Telcel.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for those individuals that signed up for the ATT internet, how do you handle your monthly payment?  Go to the office?  Online?

Thanks for any info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...