Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Private health insurance


Recommended Posts

I am 53...... Which health insurance company should I look at ?   Anybody with some positive experience ?  Not a very high deductible and one that covers cancer treatment and dermatology ( light skin and after 20 years here in the sun, sooner or later ....).  Approx. monthly cost ?

I know the local insurance agents but wanted to check with you first.

Thank you !

Rony

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Rony, I just signed up for WEA through Blue Angel in the plaza behind Pemex on the Libramiento last Oct. We are the same age. Here is what I paid.

I paid $880 usd for the year. My deductible is $250 usd which I already met, I submit my facturas by email and they deposit money into my account, which takes about a month. I have been very satisfied with the service.

Vicki in the office there is very helpful and will help you submit the facturas the first time to get you all set up.

Hope this helps!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hensley said:

Hey Rony, I just signed up for WEA through Blue Angel in the plaza behind Pemex on the Libramiento last Oct. We are the same age. Here is what I paid.

I paid $880 usd for the year. My deductible is $250 usd which I already met, I submit my facturas by email and they deposit money into my account, which takes about a month. I have been very satisfied with the service.

Vicki in the office there is very helpful and will help you submit the facturas the first time to get you all set up.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, Julie.  This was the very practical, " to the point " answer I was hoping for.  Fair price and very reasonable (for me) deductible.

One last thing....  you mention that you submit facturas.  Maybe I misunderstood, but you dont have to pay your medical expenses upfront, out of your pocket first, before they reimbourse you, do you ?  Or you probably mean that you pay smaller medical costs upfront yourself ?

By the way, they have a good, easy to understand website.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I pay upfront and then they reimburse me. There is a list of hospitals that will direct bill the insurance and they will give you that list.

Oh another thing, this policy covers worldwide EXCEPT the US.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could check this out.

I got a quote of around 10,000 pesos annualy and i am much older than you.

I havent gone ahead with it yet but might be an option.

I have the agents phone number if you want to pm me.

Quote was easy and over the phone.

I have no experience with how they settle claims .

www.esferaproteccionfamiliar.mx

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you both for the great info !  Investigating it all.

Rony

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hensley said:

Yes I pay upfront and then they reimburse me. There is a list of hospitals that will direct bill the insurance and they will give you that list.

Oh another thing, this policy covers worldwide EXCEPT the US.

Yes.  I noticed that the policy without the US is far cheaper.  What a difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Just for info.

I just checked.you need to be under 64 .max payout is 5million pesos per event.

Pm me for phone number.

But they only pay 300 pesos per hospital day, I just read

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our agent:  Alicia Rivera with Issac Seguros y Fianzas, Carr. Chapala-Jocotepec #133A, phone: 766-5974 on lake side just 2 doors west of Panino's Restaurant.  They carry several many plans with several companies and I am sure they can find you a policy to meet your needs.  The other thing to consider is the agent.  Here in Lakeside at least it makes a big difference.  Alicia helps us with anything related to our insurance.  When I have a problem with making an appointment because of language issues she will even make my appointment.  She has spoken to our doctors and she herself has helped to schedule surgeries and given us the information we needed to have the insurance pay directly to the hospital and doctors.  We could not be happier with the service that we have had for the last 13 years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to scare you but my plan is up for renewal next week.

I am 74 and I am insured with MetLife.       My annual payment this year is $131,245.19 with a 10%  Co-pay and a $23,500 deductible.

When I started at age 60 it was a small fraction of this amt.

This includes a I.V.A. $15,876.89

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Not to scare you but my plan is up for renewal next week.

I am 74 and I am insured with MetLife.       My annual payment this year is $131,245.19 with a 10%  Co-pay and a $23,500 deductible.

When I started at age 60 it was a small fraction of this amt.

This includes a I.V.A. $15,876.89

Wow

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We were 57 and 64 when we were first ensured with Allianz.  We started with a low deductible and over the years we have raised it to keep the cost down.  For the two of us our premium was approximately $9800.00 U S. with a $1700.00 deductible per event last year.  We are now 71 and 77.  This may sound like a lot but it is the same as my sister pays for Medicare and a supplement in the States and her co-pays are very high.  Unfortunately, the insurance company has not made money off of us.  We are very thankful that it is unlimited coverage and can not be terminated.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have insurance thru agent Edgar Cedeno who is at LCS from 11-2pm every Tuesday and Thursday. He deals with a  few companies.  

I have been well taken care of with my insurance thru him , including cancer treatment and surgeries, hip replacement, gall bladder surgery, the list goes on and on.  

He has a range of insurances for many budgets, I do suggest you go and speak with him, he is very easy to deal with and will handle claims and such with you.  

Unless I am hospitalized I must pay up front and get reimbursed, but anything major I go to hospital 

 

Best Wishes.  Hope you never have to use the insurance but do not take the chance of not having it if you can.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...