Chapala.com Webboard

Bolillos

Alpha1

McT's post is misleading, because it makes it sound like in Jalisco, a bolillo is actually a birote. The second paragraph would more correctly read: "Jalisco is the only state where this bread is also made as a second type called birote..."

And MoreLiana is absolutely right about all bread in WalMart's bakery... it's all very poor quality and no matter what the outside looks like, it is all the same inside.

50 minutes ago, Tiny said:

That sounds like the bread, plus a couple of other kinds, that is delivered every morning to the local corner markets here in the city. It is kept a bread bag during the day. Toward the end of the day they either don't sell it or tell you " no good". 

Don't you have that Lakeside?

I said we did in this thread already. Look way way up near the beginning. I  have 3 abarrotes close enough to me that I can get them still warm at about 8AM. they are even served by different bakeries so that there is a slight difference in the product. Here 2 keep them in a large basket with a towel on top and one on a tray on the counter.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

I said we did in this thread already. Look way way up near the beginning. I  have 3 abarrotes close enough to me that I can get them still warm at about 8AM. they are even served by different bakeries so that there is a slight difference in the product. Here 2 keep them in a large basket with a towel on top and one on a tray on the counter.

'abarrotes" Sorry, my Spanish is not that good.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Ned Small, could you give the name or location of the 3 abarrotes near you?  

If you don't live in upper Lourdes  it would not matter to you. On the the hand if you go to breakfast at Delicias, the tray one is to the east side of it.

10 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Found some nice bread at the small grocery store close to restaurant 133.

buns .jpg

THAT is bolillo.  I could bite the monitor.  Who's coming to Mexico City, who'll bring me a dozen?

7 hours ago, More Liana said:

THAT is bolillo.  I could bite the monitor.  Who's coming to Mexico City, who'll bring me a dozen?

18 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Found some nice bread at the small grocery store close to restaurant 133.

buns .jpg

although when you buy them,they are attached and they count them as 2 as in picture,  I said before just about anywhere for $10 pesos for the whole and I don't care what foreigners google about names , my Mexican friends call them bolillos. Since they don't have any preservatives,why would you want them from here to Mexico city.More Liana? They will be fresh for my desayuno hoy.

Yup, exactly what I used to purchase from the bakery above the carreterra in Ajijic every morning for breakfast at our BnB and our cook and the bakers called 'em bolillos. The guests loved them (as did I) and they are harder to find here in PV but there are a few places.

49 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Yup, exactly what I used to purchase from the bakery above the carreterra in Ajijic every morning for breakfast at our BnB and our cook and the bakers called 'em bolillos. The guests loved them (as did I) and they are harder to find here in PV but there are a few places.

Rojas...aka the Pig bakery.

Also available at small tiendas around village (I get mine at one on Constitucion/Ocampo, still warm in the mornings).  I get a doble for 9 pesos (both halves).  Also Rojas stocks the bakery shelves in back of El Torito and has dobles there, too.  

I call them dobles because that is what the proprietor at my local tienda calls them.  

1 hour ago, ned small said:

although when you buy them,they are attached and they count them as 2 as in picture,  I said before just about anywhere for $10 pesos for the whole and I don't care what foreigners google about names , my Mexican friends call them bolillos. Since they don't have any preservatives,why would you want them from here to Mexico city.More Liana? They will be fresh for my desayuno hoy.

Because nobody in Mexico City makes them, Ned--at least not in any bakery I've searched.  Over here, they're all the fake bolillos that are sold at Walmart, Soriana, Chedraui, and every single supermarket and bakery in the city.  We get lots of other good European-style bread here, but I haven't had a really good bolillo since I left Ajijic, 15 years ago. 

10 hours ago, More Liana said:

Just think how she would react if smell-a-vision had been invented. hahaha

If at the end of the day there some are not eaten, I wrap and put in freezer. Over the next couple of days I will use them as toast or dip in a soup.

• 2 weeks later...

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, More Liana said:

The bolillos at Walmart are NOT BOLILLOS.  They are labeled bolillos but they are a fairly recent awful modern "invention" that bears NO resemblance to the real thing.  Neither is the bread in AngusMactavish's video bolillos--those are the dumbed-down no-flavor no-texture Walmart/Superama/Soriana/every supermarket in Mexico version of bread that is labeled bolillo but is not a bolillo.  Don't be fooled, newbies.  

Maybe the Rosas family bakery still makes real bolillos--Panadería Rosas is the bakery where a sign on a post at the corner of Calle Juárez and Calle Ángel Flores simply says "PAN".  If you go there, ask what time the bolillo comes out of the oven.  If it's still the same bolillo as it used to be--dense, chewy interior, slightly crusty exterior, big bread flavor--you're in for a treat.   

I remember them fondly too but haven't been there in ages; the bakery was kind of hidden away. I bought a few dozen bolillos there at one point for a big party and made two trips just so I could get them fresh from the oven. Then the hostess insisted on having them all sliced crossways in rounds; a complete mutilation I still haven't forgiven her for, 17 years later! Must try and get some again, just for me...    

On 5/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, Tiny said:

Just think how she would react if smell-a-vision had been invented. hahaha

If at the end of the day there some are not eaten, I wrap and put in freezer. Over the next couple of days I will use them as toast or dip in a soup.

What, you don't have the brand-new lick-and-sniff monitor yet?  I love mine.  Calorie-free, too!

Lick Computer Cartoon.jpg

Archived