Chapala.com Webboard

how to upgrade telmex service to next level?

Has anyone upgraded their telmex service to next level?  How do you do that? Has anyone in Chapala done this and found their internet service became faster?

In Ajijic, not Chapala, sadly I was told that the 10 down that I am getting is the fastest they will give me. The tech who came to my house several years ago, told me if they had a larger backbone (information highway) between Ajijic and Guadalajara that I was capable or receiving same.

Now in Chapala, some of you are in locations were you can get fast service. I think Mike the computer guy, who lives somewhere in or near Chapala posted that hi is able to get about 20 Mb/sec down, in his neighborhood

The Telex site actually told me I have the fastest speed available in my area and don`t need to upgrade!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know anything specifically about Telmex internet, but if it's DSL (which it commonly is) there are technical limits to the speed. And the speed decreases the farther you are from the central office. I don't know if they'd sell you a faster speed than what the line can actually deliver, but it's worth trying to find out. Good luck!

You just go to Telmex and tell them you want o upgrade but forget what you read  about the upgrade unless you live close to the equipment, it is a total waste of money and there is no upgrade available..2 MGB is what you get and less as you go further out.. 

This link should take you to a location map... fill in the boxes under Dato requirido. https://contrata.telmex.com/hogar-lineas-nuevas-domicilio?pq=599

Then click Continuar. For my own location, it offered up to 30mbps for $499, but did not recognize that I already get better than that with the $599 plan. So I'm not sure what that means: no one else can? They don't know it's possible? Who knows.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

You just go to Telmex and tell them you want o upgrade but forget what you read  about the upgrade unless you live close to the equipment, it is a total waste of money and there is no upgrade available..2 MGB is what you get and less as you go further out.. 

Some friends wanted top speed and signed up for the highest cost plan.  Ended up with the same speed I have.  Dropped the higher speed plan.  Speed didn't change.  Waste of money, si.

Dang, Angus! Your speed rocks!

I live near Mike the Computer Guy and am thrilled with my speed, especially formerly living in Santa Cruz and only got 1 -2 Mbps down.

I use the $599 package and the Telmex guy said I could downgrade to the $299 package and get the same internet speed.

But, daddy told me don't fix it if it ain't broke. I am scared to do anything that might cause me to get other parts of lakeside speeds.

I think the key (in addition to having "backbone" access) is making sure you have the correct modem that can handle it.

There is some difference in Telmex modems. I'll let Mike explain that. I think it is ADSL vs some other kind.

image.png.fff7d0c96bfa87874561db503e05983c.png

The last several years, all TelMex modems actually are VDSL capable. Only the "dual-band" modem has a problem, in that it for some reason will not get the maximum in (your) area. For example, I top out at about 40 mbps, but the dual-band modem tops out at 30. (I know, for those suffering with less than 5 this just seems silly...)

On 6/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, ComputerGuy said:

This link should take you to a location map... fill in the boxes under Dato requirido. https://contrata.telmex.com/hogar-lineas-nuevas-domicilio?pq=599

Then click Continuar. For my own location, it offered up to 30mbps for $499, but did not recognize that I already get better than that with the $599 plan. So I'm not sure what that means: no one else can? They don't know it's possible? Who knows.

If one is in a fracc like Chula Vista Norte or condo complex wouldn't the speed be the same for everyone and upgrading would be useless?

true, especially if the wiring to the house and then to the router is good and the distance not too far, Often in older homes, updated wiring and connections can speed things up, should your connection be slower than the majority of your neighbors

7 hours ago, michael2595 said:

If one is in a fracc like Chula Vista Norte or condo complex wouldn't the speed be the same for everyone and upgrading would be useless?

I was in the rear end of Chapala Haciendas yesterday; the customer is getting less than 1 mbps download. But you'll recall not too long ago TelMex updated their hardware on both sides of the highway, and 10 mpbs is pretty much standard now. So it is obvious that existing infrastructure has a lot to do with it, and it would completely depend on where you are even within the same neighbourhood. Works the same here in Riberas.

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I was in the rear end of Chapala Haciendas yesterday; the customer is getting less than 1 mbps download. But you'll recall not too long ago TelMex updated their hardware on both sides of the highway, and 10 mpbs is pretty much standard now. So it is obvious that existing infrastructure has a lot to do with it, and it would completely depend on where you are even within the same neighbourhood. Works the same here in Riberas.

I totally understand. Back in the states I had issues with internet speed to the point it was getting so bad that every time the techs came out they added an amplifier which was the wrong thing to do. I had 3 amplifiers. Finally they sent in someone who knew what they were doing and he went to the box on the street where the other homes also had their connection and my connection he said had a gap which was in millimeters but but enough to cause the issues. He ripped out all the amplifiers, tightened my connection and I was up and running at full speed and 3 years of free service. Lesson to be learned is it also can be something so minor in the line to your house that can cause all the grief. One has to get up on the pole  or check the connection to your home or find where the nodes are and do some looking.

Amen michael2595! Check those connections! My 7 month problem with Telmex turned out to be a corroded connection in the box at the top of a pole around the corner from my house... and it wasn't Telmex who found it and fixed it. Everything was fine after that until a Telmex contractor disconnected my line to install one to a new house and I was without a landline or internet for three weeks even though I reported EXACTLY what happened within the hour. Ya just never know.

I did LOL about the "free service"... as if Telmex would even consider such an option that included customer satisfaction.

And people wonder why I signed up with iLox?

Some years back, I lived on the same corner as Ferret, and experienced almost exactly the same problem... every time TelMex came to do work on the box on the corner. Every time.

michael2595, my son is a senior technician for Bell Canada, and reports to mr constantly about how poor the field work is on the Internet side. He gets calls all the time from senior field personnel asking for help with situations just like the one you mention. Now, one would expect Bell employees to be that much better than TelMex guys... but nope.

Archived