Chapala.com Webboard

Airport Configuration Since Remodel?

Hello Everyone,

I've not flown into the Guad airport since before the remodel/new construction.  Coming in a couple weeks and need to give pick up instruction.  

Wondering if anyone can tell me if the traffic lanes directly in front of airport are the same and more importantly, if the little OXXO/grocery store that was directly in front of airport still there?

Thank you all for your help!

pm

No, the lanes are not the same.  They put a covered pedestrian island in the middle of the roadway.  Taxis and buses go to the right of it, cars picking up or dropping off go to the left.  So if someone is picking you up, you go out to the island in the middle and they pick you up.  For Taxi, same place as it used to be.  The OXXO is still there.

Thank you Mainecoons, can always count on you to be helpful!

What surprises me are the twenty something views of folks here before you graciously offered me this information, that did not bother to comment.  Are all of them not familiar with the current airport layout?  You'd think at least a few of them have been there since the remodel but couldn't be bothered with a reply?  Seems to me this is what's wrong with our world,  so many self-absorbed people that can't be bothered to be helpful.  Makes me that much more grateful to those that do.  Thanks again Maincoons. 

I should just shut up, give the benefit of the doubt and be grateful that someone replied!

The remodel sounds like an improvement.

pm 

Well don't be too quick to judge as the previous viewers may not have been to the airport for a while.  My brother came to visit and that is the first time I've been there for some time and it was recent enough the changes are complete.  It is an improvement but the serious flaw of pedestrians having to cross all those traffic lanes to get to the parking remains.  That is a big cause of the congestion and craziness for drop off and pick up IMO.

All in all it is a better set up.  I'm still having a hard time getting used to how busy that airport is now.  Feels like it just happened overnight.

26 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

It is an improvement but the serious flaw of pedestrians having to cross all those traffic lanes to get to the parking remains.  That is a big cause of the congestion and craziness for drop off and pick up IMO.

Recently they closed the roundabout which makes it impossible now to go in circles arround the parking lot. Looks like this helped pretty much with this congestion. The last two times i went to there with the roundabout closed was a heaven compared to previous times which was complete chaos. It is still busy but nowhere near the craziness of before. 

You are right and I apologize to those who viewed before you for whom that was the case.

Thanks for the additional details.  I can picture the layout thanks to your detailed description.  Son-in-law coming for me and he's never been to our airport.

Seems like "improvements with faults" are a particular characteristic of projects designed and engineered in Mexico.  Our Joco libramiento comes to mind.  In stark contrast, I'm reminded of driving on Hitler's old Autobahns in the former East Germany some 70 years after they were built, all original, unmaintained and driving under overpassed that can only be described as works of art carved out of granite.  It was breathtaking engineering with concrete roadbed that barely showed wear with the passage of time.

Don't expect to find anything like that in Mexico nor anywhere else for that matter.

Thank you again Maincoons. 

I had my brother come out to the center island and I was able to just pick him up right at the curb.  Dropped him off in the same place.  EzPz.

There's nothing wrong with the layout of the Joco bypass, it is pretty obvious the actual construction was really faulty and the maintenance is even worse.  I suspect someone really lined their pockets on this project. 

The road bed is really defective to the point of being dangerous and there are massive potholes on the west end that have been there now for 2 long years.

The GDL airport really needs is a cell phone parking area. A place where you can park and wait until your inbound party rings your cell phone and then a pick area for those callers. The have gotten common in the US. Nashville (BNA) did a wonderful job with theirs when they built it 20 years ago.  There have been articles pointing out how much congestion it removed from circling pickup vehicles. 

10 hours ago, pedro malo said:

Thank you Mainecoons, can always count on you to be helpful!

What surprises me are the twenty something views of folks here before you graciously offered me this information, that did not bother to comment.  Are all of them not familiar with the current airport layout?  You'd think at least a few of them have been there since the remodel but couldn't be bothered with a reply?  Seems to me this is what's wrong with our world,  Maincoons. so many self-absorbed people that can't be bothered to be helpful.  Makes me that much more grateful to those that do.  Thanks again

I should just shut up, give the benefit of the doubt and be grateful that someone replied!

The remodel sounds like an improvement.

pm 

Why the heck would you think most people reading this would have gone anywhere near the airport in order to be able to answer your question? Is it now a requirement that if one browses this forum one must answer any questions that might be asked?  "so many self-absorbed people that can't be bothered to be helpful. "  Seriously???   Spending too much time NOB?  IMHO one finds enough incorrect answers to questions here so whenever someone refrains from "taking a shot in the dark" for an answer I find it comforting.  Of course I think you can now catch the cable car right in front of the airport which will drop you right at the entrance to Joco.....at least that's what someone told my gardener the other day........

3 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Of course I think you can now catch the cable car right in front of the airport which will drop you right at the entrance to Joco.....at least that's what someone told my gardener the other day........

I thought it was a hover craft taxi.    HAHA  Still waiting.  I see you CG,  "Hi".

16 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Why the heck would you think most people reading this would have gone anywhere near the airport in order to be able to answer your question? Is it now a requirement that if one browses this forum one must answer any questions that might be asked?  "so many self-absorbed people that can't be bothered to be helpful. "  Seriously???   Spending too much time NOB?  IMHO one finds enough incorrect answers to questions here so whenever someone refrains from "taking a shot in the dark" for an answer I find it comforting.  Of course I think you can now catch the cable car right in front of the airport which will drop you right at the entrance to Joco.....at least that's what someone told my gardener the other day........

I stand corrected pappy!  My statement was made on a not clearly thought out false assumption.  That you guys are snowbirds like myself.  Mainecoons pointed out my error with his response (much more gently than you did might I add).  Of course the majority of you are full timers and wouldn't necessarily be updated on the new layout and I don't understand why that didn't "click" for me at the time, so again, I apologize.  I'm getting old too.

By the way, thanks for the tip on the cable car!  Will cancel my ride and take advantage of it.  How exciting!

But seriously pappy, I appreciate your well deserved comments.  My mistake.

pm  

17 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I had my brother come out to the center island and I was able to just pick him up right at the curb.  Dropped him off in the same place.  EzPz.

There's nothing wrong with the layout of the Joco bypass, it is pretty obvious the actual construction was really faulty and the maintenance is even worse.  I suspect someone really lined their pockets on this project. 

The road bed is really defective to the point of being dangerous and there are massive potholes on the west end that have been there now for 2 long years.

That's what I'll do too, thanks Mainecoons.

Yes, that's what I meant too, horrible construction.  Though the shifting ground under Joco may be a contributing factor.  Berrymex/Driscoll is draining the water table and the town is twisting and sinking all over the place.  My own house has suddenly developed cracks after 10 years of absolutely no problems.  A couple I can follow from my house, up and down the perimeter wall, across the street and up a neighbors wall in a perfectly direct line.  May need to tear the place down at some point but hope it stabilizes.

So way off topic here as usual for me so this will be my last post on this topic.

Again, thanks to all for their helpful and constructive comments and sorry for jumping to conclusions.

pm

52 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

So if one can't do a circle, what happens? Pull into the gas station and cross the road again?

No, also not possible anymore. They closed that crossing too. You need to leave to the carretera again. There is no way to keep making circles without leaving the airport completely.

I did see a few people looking for a spot to make the circle but they were forced back onto the carretera.

It is so “ridiculous“ that it encourages use of the parking garage and results in less traffic circuling the area while waiting for passengers to arrive for pick-up at the curb.

It is entirely possible that they planned it that way, based upon experience and congestion.

Was driven to the airport yesterday by a friend., Just look up , as you drive in, follow the signs and she dropped me off across the one way street where the taxis park and pick up, about 3 lanes wide and I walked in. The only difference to me was that I had to cross a well marked 3 lain road for the taxis. I then walked directly to American Airlines. It was easy and simple.

When I get picked up the person picking me up can only stay outside waiting up to five minutes. So I will have my ride go into the parking garage as they always have. The nice thing about all of this is that we do not having people circling around anymore waiting for a passenger, creating the traffic jams of the past. Great improvement.

Coming off the highway and on the airport entrance  road..over to the right hand side there is some  green area ...and I have seen cars waiting to pick up  friends etc.

For myself I park on the right before going under the bridge and doing the loop into the airport, where the bus stop is...and await my friends call to say they are ready for pick up

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

It is so “ridiculous“ that it encourages use of the parking garage and results in less traffic circuling the area while waiting for passengers to arrive for pick-up at the curb.

It is entirely possible that they planned it that way, based upon experience and congestion.

Yes, ridiculous. Money grab. They need to wake up and smell the customers. There is congestion at every airport, because they lump all the departures and arrivals at the same time for the sake of the staff, and no other reason. They need to spread out the flights, to be truthful. Plus, I've never experienced a problem picking people up OR dropping them off in all these years. Slow, sure, but so what.

"Planned it that way"? Sheer laziness, coupled with funding that keeps getting siphoned off.

Airport fees also contribute to the glut of early morning flights.  Landing fees are based on many factors, time of day being one of them at some airports.  Having worked for an airline I can assure you they could care less about making it convenient for the staff.  They care a lot about saving money though.

I'll agree with the cost factor, for sure, but are you saying landing fees for individual airports? So laziness and greed are still in play, because that could be rectified. When I say convenient for staff, I should have expanded: lumping all the work together has to save tons of money.

Yes, every airport charges landing fees based on aircraft size, number of passengers, length of time at the gate, day time or night time.  As to saving money by having the work all done at once, I have no way to know if that is the case here.

Archived