Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Rain


Recommended Posts

I sure hope you guys are right, but this is very very early and I fear a temporary sunny hot period or two between now and the middle of June, the normal time it starts.

Again, here's hoping you are right. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ajijicbound said:

In my opinion, I think it is early,  even though the rain is from the west. Weather patterns are changing. 90% chance again today.

The problem is that nobody has so far texted Mother Nature and informed that this is premature precipitation.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gringal said:

The problem is that nobody has so far texted Mother Nature and informed that this is premature precipitation.

Premature what??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sure love getting some nice early rains.  The plants are very happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AZ has a rainy season, too, called the Monsoon season. 

For many years the start of the rainy season was calculated this way:

Three consecutive days with an average dew point of 55 degrees or higher.  A "look-back" calculation....you didn't know if the monsoon started until at least 3 days after it actually did. 

It was confusing to a lot of people so in 2008, the NWS simply picked a date for the 'start' of the season (based on years of records)...June 15th.  

I would think that 55 degrees or higher average dew point calculation could work here as well.  

However, I cannot find a weather site that shows the average daily dew point.  Anyone know of one that does? 

BTW, the old and sorely missed chapalaweather.net had historic daily files where this may have been possible.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

AZ has a rainy season, too, called the Monsoon season. 

For many years the start of the rainy season was calculated this way:

Three consecutive days with an average dew point of 55 degrees or higher.  A "look-back" calculation....you didn't know if the monsoon started until at least 3 days after it actually did. 

It was confusing to a lot of people so in 2008, the NWS simply picked a date for the 'start' of the season (based on years of records)...June 15th.  

I would think that 55 degrees or higher average dew point calculation could work here as well.  

However, I cannot find a weather site that shows the average daily dew point.  Anyone know of one that does? 

BTW, the old and sorely missed chapalaweather.net had historic daily files where this may have been possible.  

 

I think I have been given to understand that the rainy season is defined by a particular storm system not by a particular humidity or dew point having been reached. Do any others have that understanding?  We have some real experts here like Mainecoons.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

However, I cannot find a weather site that shows the average daily dew point.  Anyone know of one that does?

 

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MMGL/2018/5/7/DailyHistory.html?cm_ven=localwx_history

Scroll down to Dew Point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

I think I have been given to understand that the rainy season is defined by a particular storm system not by a particular humidity or dew point having been reached. Do any others have that understanding?  We have some real experts here like Mainecoons.

I was a trained NWS weather spotter in AZ since 2003 and am still a certified spotter in FL. 

You can read about AZ monsoon here.   https://www.tripsavvy.com/arizona-monsoon-facts-2683732

BTW, the word "monsoon" is derived from Arabic and literally means, "season."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I was a trained NWS weather spotter in AZ since 2003 and am still a certified spotter in FL. 

You can read about AZ monsoon here.  

BTW, the word "monsoon" is derived from Arabic and literally means, "season."

https://www.tripsavvy.com/arizona-monsoon-facts-2683732

So I guess I should stop saying, "monsoon season". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is definitely not the beginning of the rainy season as the pattern of air and moisture flow is Pacific not the east to west flow of the regular rainy season.  It has been caused by a combination of stalled front #48 and some weak low pressure disturbances.  It is winding down.

Sure was a nice break from the May heat and dryness though!

Edit:  Long range forecast is for wetter than normal every month but August, up to 20 percent total above average.

https://www.informador.mx/jalisco/Segun-pronosticos-el-temporal-de-2018-sera-mas-lluvioso-20180507-0098.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Tiny said:

Yes and watch the grass grow. 😀

Or the roses, vegetables, fruit trees, flowers.......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2018 at 12:56 PM, AngusMactavish said:
On 5/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

For many years the start of the (Arizona) rainy season was calculated this way:

Three consecutive days with an average dew point of 55 degrees or higher.  A "look-back" calculation....you didn't know if the monsoon started until at least 3 days after it actually did. 

Thanks for the link, Angus.

I had wondered if the 55 degree dew point rule used in AZ for the start of their rainy season would apply here.  I went back 10 years at the GDL weather site and here are the dates the rainy season began, applying the AZ rule .  I am not certain this rule should be used here, but the results are interesting.

2007     June 9

2008     June 8

2009     June 10

2010     June 12

2011     June 13

2012     June 13

2013     June 4

2014     May 26

2015     June 8

2016     June 12

2017     June 7

2018     Not yet

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...