Chapala.com Webboard

is it free to call usa with telmex?

It`s hard to find this info -  is it free to call USA with Telmex for both me and who I am calling? Is this just for landlines?

If you have the $389 or the $599 Telmex internet telephone package, you can phone most numbers in the US for free. However should you want to phone a US or Canadian 800 number you have to phone special 800 numbers provided by Telmex and surprisingly you are charged almost 7 pesos per minute. This doesn't make sense to me but other things are so cheap, I am not complaining.

And remember Telmex does not provide service for cell phones so if you want to phone the US on your cell phone, the costs depend upon your cell phone plan. Some plans allow free calls to the US. My cell phone plan doesn't. I phone the US and Canada using Telmex for standard local US #s and I use my Ooma internet phone when calling 800 numbers up north which it means it is free.

Peter, your answer left me a little confused, so maybe OP also?  Using Telmex LAND line you can call any land line OR cell phone in US or Canada at no charge to either party.

As you said, exception is 800 numbers, and for that we use Skype.

One of the benefits of having the $389 internet telephone package is that we can phone some 50 countries including Canada and the US for free as long as it is not an 800 # . When I phone my relatives, I have no idea whether they have a cell phone or a land line. My niece whom I regularly call has a cell phone in Seattle. I am not charged when calling her.(Nor is she charged anything)

My comments about my Telcel, cell phone, was to say that with basic Telcel packages, like I have, I cannot phone the US or Canada for free, However Telcel also has packages for more money per period of time that allow one to phone a US or Canadian number for free. 

Ironically, the Telmex website has changed their look to the point where it is nigh impossible to get the details of each plan. Certainly their "paquete" pages don't even include long-distance services information. Under the $389 plan is the following: 200 minutos a celular, 100 llamadas locales y minutos LADA. LADA being long distance, and the suggestion being 100 calls total between local and long distance. The next plan up says  Telefonía ILIMITADA; however, there are a number of countries to which calls are not free, and for that you have to carefully read the very confusing contracts.

Yes, at one time and perhaps still, one could call the continental US for free but not Hawaii on the $389 plan.

At one time and perhaps still the $389 plan included 50 countries and the $599 package included about 65 countries. 

Update I just went to

http://telmex.com/web/hogar/conexion-a-internet

and discovered that it now apparently says 100 minutes long distance for free per month for the $389 package. It used to be unlimited. However the $499 package says unlimited calls. And even faster internet. Sadly that faster internet speed is not available in Ajijic.

I knew my sleuths would come through!  Thanks everyone for exploring and getting to the nitty gritty of this fascinating topic.  So, despite the nearly opaque Telmex site verbage, we have determined that on a $389 package, one can call LD for 100 minutes per month  on their landline (thanks, johanson).  I had heard it was unlimited so thanks very much for that clarification.  And I got Telmex and Telcel mixed up thinking that cel phones were unlimited calling to the states we well.  So now I have to find out from Telcel about calling LD on my 50 pesos a month saldo I get at Oxxo.  Any ideas on that one?

Note that the $389 plan includes a total of 100 calls between landline and long distance... not each.

Regarding TelCel, on my "data plan" ($150p for 27 or 28 days renewable at any corner store, no credit card involved), I can call the US or Canada no charge, but I do not know how often or for how long.

24 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Note that the $389 plan includes a total of 100 calls between landline and long distance... not each.

Regarding TelCel, on my "data plan" ($150p for 27 or 28 days renewable at any corner store, no credit card involved), I can call the US or Canada no charge, but I do not know how often or for how long.

Ah, thank you for that clarification, Fine Print Reader!  

Re Telcel, do you think I should understand that my 50p monthly recargandos are not a "plan" and thus do not allow no charge calling NOB? 

I don't think there is a minimum "plan", but they change them so often I wouldn't count on what I say. Best to go to the TelCel centre at the plaza, or one of the phone stores.

For complete confusion, check this out: https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/amigo/paquetes#!paquetes-amigo-sin-limite

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I hope I am correct and you are wrong. For the $389 package it says "100 llamadas locales y minutos LADA"  To me this translates to 100 calls, local, and minutes long distance.  Which means 100 local calls and 100 minutes long distance.

Which ever translation is correct, this is more limiting than before. Where there were no time restrictions on long distance or number of long distance calls.

The $499 plan appears to make all calls unlimited and offers faster internet than available here.

34 minutes ago, johanson said:

I hope I am correct and you are wrong. For the $389 package it says "100 llamadas locales y minutos LADA"  To me this translates to 100 calls, local, and minutes long distance.  Which means 100 local calls and 100 minutes long distance.

Which ever translation is correct, this is more limiting than before. Where there were no time restrictions on long distance or number of long distance calls.

The $499 plan appears to make all calls unlimited and offers faster internet than available here.

How do you if that is what the document writer wanted to say if the first place?  HAHAHAHA

OK all.  Just read terms and conditions on the website, and then called Telmex to confirm.  100 local calls no charge.  200 minutes calls to 044 and 045 cell phones no charge.  Minutos Ilimitados --- that's "capital I" as ilimitados --- so still unlimited long distance calls to Canada and US. (Limited minutes / prices to many named other countries.)

14 minutes ago, Natasha said:

OK all.  Just read terms and conditions on the website, and then called Telmex to confirm.  100 local calls no charge.  200 minutes calls to 044 and 045 cell phones no charge.  Minutos Ilimitados --- that's "capital I" as ilimitados --- so still unlimited long distance calls to Canada and US. (Limited minutes / prices to many named other countries.)

This is on the current $389 plan?

Bisbee Gal, your page has been updated and internet speeds changed(increased) along with changes to long distance calling. Natasha's post is correct she even phoned and confirmed what she found on the internet with Telmex. She is truly bilingual and she (they) have family up north that they call.

And yes Mike, Natasha has the $389 plan

20 minutes ago, johanson said:

Bisbee Gal, your page has been updated and internet speeds changed(increased) along with changes to long distance calling. Natasha's post is correct she even phoned and confirmed what she found on the internet with Telmex. She is truly bilingual and she (they) have family up north that they call.

And yes Mike, Natasha has the $389 plan

But she agrees NO changes to the unlimited US and Canada, right?  Still a great deal for 389, IMO. 

Is anyone getting 20mbps with the 499peso Telmex package?

5 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Yes, and a solid 20 it is.

7293289856.png

Is this speed consistent?  Where do you live?

Archived