Chapala.com Webboard

Can you text or whatsapp anywhere world wide for free

Traveling internationally with a Telcel phone, can I text or whatsapp any cell number world wide for free, with cellular data and roaming off and wi-fi connected.  Is roaming charge NOT necessary to text or whatsapp international phone numbers?  

For WhatsApp, not when you use WiFi. And of course, any data plan here includes free WhatsApp. Although that won't work out of the country, of course, except in the case where you pay extra for roaming, which would be pointless.

Texting would require a plan.

I'm a little confused. So Whatsapp can communicate solely by wifi, obviously with an internet connection? So you don't need a SIM card that is making a connection to whatever local telecom is in the area? So just like sending an email from your computer say, in France, to a computer anywhere else in the world?  That's cool.

9 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Not when you use WiFi. And of course, any data plan here includes free WhatsApp. Although that won't work out of the country, of course, except in the case where you pay extra for roaming, which would be pointless.

CG, couldn't there be a charge for Wi-Fi if they would have to go to a Wi-Fi cafe? At the hotel it may be free but you may not always have a connection when walking around. Or I may be wrong.

34 minutes ago, Tiny said:

CG, couldn't there be a charge for Wi-Fi if they would have to go to a Wi-Fi cafe? At the hotel it may be free but you may not always have a connection when walking around. Or I may be wrong.

Sure. But that charge won't be added to by WhatsApp usage.

Archived