Chapala.com Webboard

Dollars to peso - Conversion

On the internet go to {Dollar today in Mexico} You will find a listing for daily bank rates in Mexico.  Santander is usually the best but I believe you must have account for 6 moths before they will convert.  In Chapala there is a whole in the wall money exchange just north of Santander Bank.  They usually give you better exchange than the banks.

16 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Does anyone know of the best place/bank to get the best rates on converting dollars to pesos. Thank you kindly.

Do you mean "physical" dollars to pesos or "ATM" exchange rate?

20 hours ago, Dan M said:

HSBC is right around the corner and is always higher than CiBanco.  They usually pay the highest rate when I check the website. 

Dan M, How do you check the ATM rates? I can find their rates at the window, but not at the ATMs. 

10 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Physical. My bank in the states charges no conversion rate.

I'll bet they do by giving you fewer pesos for each dollar than the going bank-to-bank rate.  That's part of how they make revenue.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Physical. My bank in the states charges no conversion rate.

I find that hard to believe. Banks don't do things for free. If you check the mid-market rate at any given time, you will normally find that you won't get that rate when exchanging. My credit card company tacks on a conversion fee, but that is different from a conversion rate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I find that hard to believe. Banks don't do things for free. If you check the mid-market rate at any given time, you will normally find that you won't get that rate when exchanging. My credit card company tacks on a conversion fee, but that is different from a conversion rate.

Bank ONE 360. 

5 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

Bank ONE 360. 

I believe you mean CapitalOne 360, my bank in the US I debit from. They have no foreign transaction fees and use the credit card companys set the exchange rate.

I'm still a bit confused.... the OP says he is talking about 'physical' dollars to pesos. Then all the conversation, including his comments, is about US banks and their conversion rates.  ¿Qué eres?

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

I use this site to make my decision, which is almost always HSBC. https://priceofdollar.com/price-of-dollar-in-hsbc/

On the page is the following which I pay attention to. Here is today's suggestion- 

SUGGESTIONS FOR DECISION MAKING:
If you are going to sell, your best option is: SANTANDER in $19.13 pesos per dollar.
If you are going to buy, your best option is: BANCO AZTECA in $18.79 pesos per dollar.

I bank with USAA who refunds all my ATM fees, so HSBC's fees are not an issue for me, but for those who must pay for withdrawals it doesn't matter how great the rate is it will all be eaten up by fees.