Chapala.com Webboard

Chef Pian's New Thai Restaurant in Ajijic

RosaRibera

11 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I was very disappointed in the fresh rolls I had recently at Tepetate, mostly filled with rusty cabbage.  Their peanut sauce is good, much better than Chopsticks.

I don't mean to get nitpicky here, but what you are saying is that you like the peanut sauce better than that at Chopsticks.  I like the sauce at Chopsticks better; in fact I like everything at Chopsticks better than at the Thai place.  But, differences in taste make the world go around.😋

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, gringal said:

I don't mean to get nitpicky here, but what you are saying is that you like the peanut sauce better than that at Chopsticks.  I like the sauce at Chopsticks better; in fact I like everything at Chopsticks better than at the Thai place.  But, differences in taste make the world go around.😋

I think the peanut sauce at Chopsticks is too thin, not peanutty enough, and not very flavorful because it does not have enough heat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 10:44 PM, bdlngton said:

I believe tamarind juice is one of the basic ingredients in pad thai seasoning that gives the dish its flavor.  

In most recipes I've seen/used, it's thick tamarind pulp/paste.  

I finally made it to Pian Thai in its new location on Hidalgo.  I ordered a combo and the food was very fresh and well-prepared.  The peanut sauce wss as I like it, thick with a little kick to it.  The other two sauces were tasty too.  The fresh roll was so much better than the one I had recently at Tepetate.  I'm pleased to have Chef Pian back preparing Thai food that I like.

11 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I finally made it to Pian Thai in its new location on Hidalgo.  I ordered a combo and the food was very fresh and well-prepared.  The peanut sauce wss as I like it, thick with a little kick to it.  The other two sauces were tasty too.  The fresh roll was so much better than the one I had recently at Tepetate.  I'm pleased to have Chef Pian back preparing Thai food that I like.

I used to enjoy Chef Pian's cooking at Tepetate, being old fashioned I still believe in being faithful to your former employer thats why I will never frequent Chef Pian's establishment who after already one move might not necessarily be around for a long time. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, joco69 said:

I used to enjoy Chef Pian's cooking at Tepetate, being old fashioned I still believe in being faithful to your former employer thats why I will never frequent Chef Pian's establishment who after already one move might not necessarily be around for a long time. 

I have no idea what you are referring to about being faithful to one's former employer.  You obviously know more about the reason Chef Pian left Tepetate than I do.  Employees are not indentured servants; they have the right to change jobs and move on in their careers.  All I know is that based on my recent experiences at both places Pian' s food was superior to Tepetate's.  I will choose to return to Pian's over Tepetate.  If my only choice were Tepetate I would pass.  Now i want to try Simply Thai again after many years to compare with Pian's. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/28/2018 at 10:08 AM, joco69 said:

Chef Pian was the chef for many years at Tepate and then he started his own restaurant on Colon. We got take-out from there once and never again. The broccoli in the sweet and sour dish was actually black from over cooking and the eggroll was tossed in the box with everything else and was totally soggy. The 3rd dish was a thai yellow chicken curry that had no discernable flavor. We also can't understand why his new place is 2 doors down from Tepetate and agree that it was bad form to move so close to a former employer and 1 block from Simply Thai as if there aren't any other spaces available in town....

I can't say why they are where they are, but there really aren't any places in town, with affordable rents. That's why M&J Pizza, an otherwise very popular place, ended up in that little hole on Guadalupe Victoria where this is no parking and almost no room for tables.

8 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

Chef Pian was the chef for many years at Tepate and then he started his own restaurant on Colon. We got take-out from there once and never again. The broccoli in the sweet and sour dish was actually black from over cooking and the eggroll was tossed in the box with everything else and was totally soggy. The 3rd dish was a thai yellow chicken curry that had no discernable flavor. We also can't understand why his new place is 2 doors down from Tepetate and agree that it was bad form to move so close to a former employer and 1 block from Simply Thai as if there aren't any other spaces available in town….

If Chef Pian is on Colon and Tepetate is on Hidalgo west of Juarez how is that 2 doors apart, or did Chef Pian move?

Pian is at 35-A Hidalgo. Tepetate is at 31 Hidalgo. I'm guessing "2 doors down" was just meant to mean "real close". Was there ever a Thai restaurant on Colon? Was one of them just across from the plaza on Colon, some years back, where that overpriced (sorry!) Mexican restaurant is now? You know, the one that serves basic Mexican food available at any little hole in the wall but charges tourist prices?

10 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

There was a Thai restaurant on Colon across from the old temple on the north side of the plaza, which I believe was the chef from Tepetate.  It was there for some time but sounds like he has moved.  The 2 doors down from Tepetate don´t seem right to me.

Yes the chef from Tepetate opened Pian first on Colon.  

Pian's current location does not look inviting....it's basically in the front garage of a home.  Dungeon-like.  

Tepetate is pretty good; their chicken larb is excellent, as good as any I have had anywhere.  Their green papaya salad is excellent as well. 

Simply Thai was a gem when they first opened near LCS and the grandparents were in the kitchen.  One or both took ill and it was never the same after they went back to Canada, though they tried a series of chefs afterward.  

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Which one has the upstairs with an open wall facing the street, do you recall? That one seemed to be the better one. It was the only restaurant open three years ago on New Year's Eve...

Tepetate...it's a nice place to sit!  Wait-staff is friendly.  

• Thanks 1