Chapala.com Webboard

Chef Pian's New Thai Restaurant in Ajijic

RosaRibera

In the post about Bobby's new place, I suggested the food better be really, really good at those prices. I'm going to have to say the same here, with a caveat: I make egg drop soup all the time. It's a chicken/mushroom broth (cheap, because it's just water in which chicken bones have been boiled) and an egg, with some chopped up green onions. It is a base staple in Asia. Like tortillas and rice.  80p is ridiculous. Unless they've created something truly mind-boggling.

I think the time involved in procuring items and food, cooking, money for waitstaff, accountants, employee benefits, equipment, utilities, rent, etc. Is sorely overlooked when prices are discussed.  Running a restaurant is a little more expensive and complicated than merely cooking at home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

It is a base staple in Asia. Like tortillas and rice.  80p is ridiculous. 

It seems you've forgotten that you're not in Asia, dude. So egg drop soup made by a Thai chef living in the backwaters of Mexico costs 80 pesos? Big whoop. Settle on your 25 pesos burgers from the plaza in San Antonio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't see how location has anything to do with it. It's broth and an egg.

Backwaters? Wow.

I finally looked at the menu, and noted that the prices are at the top of the range for local Asian food, so yes, it better be good.

My favorite place is Chopsticks, where it isn't fancy but it's GOOD.  There, they serve you 5 large potstickers for 50 pesos, a considerably better deal than what's listed for similar dishes on the new Thai restaurant's menu.  So, I await a report from those who try it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, RosaRibera said:

He is a great chef but I still prefer Tepate who continues as before offering same great food at reasonable prices

On 5/3/2018 at 7:13 PM, Wookie said:

I think the time involved in procuring items and food, cooking, money for waitstaff, accountants, employee benefits, equipment, utilities, rent, etc. Is sorely overlooked when prices are discussed.  Running a restaurant is a little more expensive and complicated than merely cooking at home.

I agree but why does it seem restaurants are the most inflationary thing these days next to Ajiic real estate?  :D

• Like 4

We’ve dined here twice  ( always enjoyed his food at  Tepetate)   ...drunken noodles and a chicken dish off the specials section of the menu . Both cooked well and served hot with  plenty of heat as requested. Prices very reasonable ....of course the shrimp dishes are a little higher...the price of shrimp has increased drastically over the past few years ...it’s now almost half  N O B . Wine prices about normal . All in all pleasant experience , good service , nice surroundings....we will of course return .

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Chef Pian's new location October 2018

Chef Pian Thai Kitchen is now located at the following address:

Hidalgo #35A , AJIJIC

Between Juarez and Aquiles Serdan

Go South on Colon, West on Hidalgo, past Juarez.

Orange building on North side of the street CHEF PIAN's on the sign.

Tel 376-766-2881

Days/Hours  Monday to Saturdays 12:30 pm to 8:30 pm.  Closed Sunday.

Thai Food Prepared by a Thai Chef.

Comida Tailandesa Preparado por Thai Chef.

Chef Pians October 2018.jpg

Isn't the "newest" location of Pian Thai at Hidalgo #35B practically next door to Tepatate Thai which is at Hidalgo #31?  Or are they going back in business together (Chef Pian having left Tepatate  Thai earlier this year to open his own place on Colon)?

• Confused 1

Tepetate Thai's salads (green papaya, then add a protein) and their starter of chicken larb are excellent (and both large enough for a filling meal). Have eaten there both before their former chef Pian left and since he's been gone and the food at Tepetate has remained at the same high quality.  

Chief Pian's place on Colon was not inviting...dark dining area.  I did get a small carryout order once and it was fine (just some spring rolls).  

We like the upstairs seating at Tepetate as it is open, light filled.  Will have to see what Pian's new place a few doors from Tepate has to offer seating-wise. 

• Like 1