Chapala.com Webboard

Bobby's prices

Al Berca

5 hours ago, gringal said:

It's unfortunate for the employees whose hours were cut, but a businessman has to make changes when he thinks they are needed: In this case, a businessman who only recently survived cancer and is well past the usual retirement age.  I suspect he opened with full time intentions but soon discovered it was too much for him.  Many of us have tackled projects suited to our 40 year old selves and quickly discovered that our aging bodies weren't up to our 40 year old enthusiasm.

I'm sorry he won't be serving lunch...which is when go to restaurants, but I wish Bobby the best of luck and health in this venture.

Alex from Alex's Pasta Bar seems to be able to handle having lunch and dinner hours six days a week, and he's over 80!  Bobby should have hired a manager and a chef that he can trust, so that when he can't be there, the restaurant is still open and functioning properly.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Alex from Alex's Pasta Bar seems to be able to handle having lunch and dinner hours six days a week, and he's over 80!  Bobby should have hired a manager and a chef that he can trust, so that when he can't be there, the restaurant is still open and functioning properly.

Another "should", eh?  😄

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

Maybe he will hire the above mentioned people and expand the hours once he see that he has the constant support of the community and these comments stop.

Man, if every restaurant owner stayed at their restaurant for service hours, we would see a big difference in quality around here. Our very typical story here is thus: 1. Stop the advertising, because the wave of gringos coming to eat the first two weeks is a guarantee of future business. 2. Fire the chef and staff because they cost too much. 3. Put an inexperienced manager in charge so I can take every afternoon off. 4. Cut back on portions and quality while raising prices. 5. Fail and close, scratching my head, wondering why. 6. Leave all the signage up forever, so everyone driving by gets confused.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Man, if every restaurant owner stayed at their restaurant for service hours, we would see a big difference in quality around here. Our very typical story here is thus: 1. Stop the advertising, because the wave of gringos coming to eat the first two weeks is a guarantee of future business. 2. Fire the chef and staff because they cost too much. 3. Put an inexperienced manager in charge so I can take every afternoon off. 4. Cut back on portions and quality. 5. Fail and close, scratching my head, wondering why. 6. Leave all the signage up forever, so everyone driving by gets confused.

Then repeat steps 1 through 6.

You and I have both seen an ever-growing number of restaurants fail for exactly this reason: absentee owners. My comment was in reference to suegarn's, presupposing that hiring a manager and a chef he can trust for when he can't be there. I cannot imagine from where that train of thought emerged. The place is barely open.

2 hours ago, glws7777 said:

Never did like his bad food and small portions . Never was a favourite of mine.

51 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Agreed.

Maybe if you share what was 'bad food', he could address it.  Maybe he was not aware that customers consider the portions to be small.

1 minute ago, Tiny said:

Maybe if you share what was 'bad food', he could address it.  Maybe he was not aware that customers consider the portions to be small.

Vague phrases like "bad food" are useless in describing a meal.  If I'm served a large slice of meat that is mostly fat, I will rule it "bad" while others rule it "perfect". Same with portion sizes. With most places around here, I end up with a "para llebar" box. Depends: so how about being specific?

Probably just a personal failing of mine but if I try a restaurant and don't think the food is good or the portions on the small or too large side, I don't bother to "tell or explain to the owner" why I "feel" that way in order that he/she can "correct the problem". I go elsewhere and have no problem if other diners feel differently than I do. I promise to try and work on this personal failing. If I made my living as a restaurant critic perhaps I would work harder on it.

I think pappy is right. We all know, from years of experience, when a place is worthwhile or not. Telling the owner works sometimes for specific things. We don't have to educate them on their own business. Maybe a new dish didn't work out, sure. Maybe the cook didn't turn up, sure. But we all hear the buzz about pretty much every place around town.

I did not enjoy Roberto's first effort and almost always refused invitations to join people for dinner there.  I couldn't put my finger on it and even though I ordered an old reliable dish, liver and onions, and it was always good I just never "clicked" with the place.  It got relegated to a ladies lunch venue.  Anyway I am looking forward to trying the new place because I liked the back terrace area at El Serape and think it could go a long way toward adding to the meal.

Should he have come back for another restaurant - not really, there are plenty but there is new money in town and after the down turn years getting your share of the more money floating around might seem really important.  Good Luck Bobby.

4 hours ago, solajijic said:

I did not enjoy Roberto's first effort and almost always refused invitations to join people for dinner there.  I couldn't put my finger on it and even though I ordered an old reliable dish, liver and onions, and it was always good I just never "clicked" with the place.  It got relegated to a ladies lunch venue.  Anyway I am looking forward to trying the new place because I liked the back terrace area at El Serape and think it could go a long way toward adding to the meal.

Should he have come back for another restaurant - not really, there are plenty but there is new money in town and after the down turn years getting your share of the more money floating around might seem really important.  Good Luck Bobby.

Anyone know if there is any kind of shade on the back terrace?

On 5/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, Tiny said:

With all that, you are covering up the taste.   HAHAHAHAHA Just kidding.

Lots of favor from roasted skin. That is why I de-grease. Mine is stock and yours is a broth. There is a difference.

Be careful of broth crystals, too many have a lots of salt.

Walmart has No Sodium chicken broth crystals. 

• 3 weeks later...

A friend went there over the weekend and reported that the entree portions were just right for light eaters and hungrier folks would probably go for appetizers, a side salad or dessert.  She said the food was just delicious and the service good.  I'm planning to try it soon.  Would have gone already, but the 1:00 lunch start is a little later than my stomach prefers.

Archived