Chapala.com Webboard

Bobby's prices

Al Berca

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/12/2018 at 10:27 PM, Travis said:

Appeared to be open when I drove by tonight.

Let the food fight begin! :o

We've had the premature evaluation re the prices. The place is now open and I've seen cars parked in front,  so somebody must have tried it by now.  What's the food like?  If nobody has been there yet......forget I asked.

If all else fails, I guess I'll have to do that myself in a week or so. ( I like to let a new place have a chance to work out the bugs before doing that.)

About the parking:  El Serape didn't lose business due to the small amount of parking:  In its heyday, people liked it well enough to park across the street as well as next door.

We ate there on Sunday and are looking forward to eating through the menu which is quite varied.  The food was delicious and the service great.  We talked to others there that had been to the private parties that he held prior to opening and they said everything the had was very good.  He also has some scrumptious desserts.  You won't be disappointed.

37 minutes ago, Wookie said:

But Tiny, it was already just 4 days a week starting at 1:00 p.m.  We eat our big meal between 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. so that will eliminate our being able to partake very often if at all.

I'm with you on this.  I think only opening in the evening is a mistake.  Many of us, especially singles, prefer to eat out during the day.  

5 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I'm with you on this.  I think only opening in the evening is a mistake.  Many of us, especially singles, prefer to eat out during the day.  

Me, too.  My spouse and I have the largest meal of the day at lunch; dinner out is rare.  (Isn't that supposed to be healthier, too?) However, restaurants may make more money on drinks later in the day, so ???

Below from his FB page.  I feel badly for his new employees who left other jobs to work for him.  They were told they would have full time jobs with 2 meal shifts when he hired them.  Less than a week into the gig and now he cuts bait so he can lounge around the pool leaving his new employees with part time jobs instead of full time work.  Shame on him.  

OK BIG NEW DEVELOPMENT! After a LOT of consideration.... I have decided not to do lunch. Bobby's La Terraza will be offering dinner service only. There were a lot of deciding factors in making this decision and it is not one I have made lightly. In fact when I originally developed the concept for this restaurant it was a dinner only plan. But I got tempted....

As I said in an earlier post, the second week of a new restaurant is about logistics and adjustments. I had great support for lunches and we did a really good business but it makes a long day for not only me but my kitchen and wait staff as well. We have a lot of heavy truck traffic during the day which makes the terrace much noisier than I would like. Parking is also more of a challenge for clients during the day.

I may revisit the lunch concept come high season, by that time I will have perfected some other aspects of the restaurant that are important to focus on.

So that means I will be available to go out for lunch with some of my friends or lounge by a pool. I am coining a new term "demi - retirement" and the concept of having the best of both worlds. Thank you all for your support as I figure this all out

25 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:
...leaving his new employees with part time jobs instead of full time work.  Shame on him.  

Your morals behind your mouth, but it is NOYFB.

It's unfortunate for the employees whose hours were cut, but a businessman has to make changes when he thinks they are needed: In this case, a businessman who only recently survived cancer and is well past the usual retirement age.  I suspect he opened with full time intentions but soon discovered it was too much for him.  Many of us have tackled projects suited to our 40 year old selves and quickly discovered that our aging bodies weren't up to our 40 year old enthusiasm.

I'm sorry he won't be serving lunch...which is when go to restaurants, but I wish Bobby the best of luck and health in this venture.

It is unfortunate that Bobby did not consider his age, recent cancer, the truck traffic, daytime parking, and lounging by the pool time BEFORE he lured staff with promises of full time work. I am sure his staff also appreciates having time to lunch with friends and lounge about the pool. Oh, wait. They can’t. They need to find work to feed their families.  Oh well. At least Bobby has the best of both worlds.

Just now, Wookie said:

Opening night probably wasn't the best time to judge any restaurant for the remainder of it's life.

Agree.  I always wait for a few weeks before trying a new place.

Also, re other comments, it's easy to say "He should have".   I think we can all say "woulda, coulda, shoulda" about  errors of our own and others, especially considering the prevalence of 20/20 hindsight.

4 minutes ago, gringal said:

Also, re other comments, it's easy to say "He should have".   I think we can all say "woulda, coulda, shoulda" about  errors of our own and others, especially considering the prevalence of 20/20 hindsight.

Considering his age and years of experience in the restaurant business, how can anyone say, “Oh, if only he had known before hand what he was getting into”? That being said, I hope his venture succeeds and is able to deliver whatever he and his fans are looking for. 

27 minutes ago, gringal said:

The problem with that is if everyone waits a few weeks, they may not still be around for you to try.  🤣

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

Considering his age and years of experience in the restaurant business, how can anyone say, “Oh, if only he had known before hand what he was getting into”? That being said, I hope his venture succeeds and is able to deliver whatever he and his fans are looking for. 

I don't know about you, but as recently as two years ago I tackled a project that I had managed before and knew what I was getting into, but somehow, I didn't take into consideration  injuries which had taken their toll and it was much more challenging than I had anticipated.   That's why I see people being judgmental as "not having walked in the other's moccasins."  Some people give up too soon: others don't give up or lighten their load when they should.

5 minutes ago, Tiny said:

The problem with that is if everyone waits a few weeks, they may not still be around for you to try.  🤣

Yeah, yeah.  I'm a selfish beastie.  However, I know that there will be more than enough people who can't wait to try a new place that I won't be missed.

Also, does anyone have first hand knowledge that Bobby did not consultant and consider his staff?  One other thought, the one thing that Bobby may not have quite accepted or fully understood is his physical limitations (just like so many of us).  He may have truly believed that a 4 day work week was doable.  That being said I wish he would consider opening at 2:00 pm and closing at 7:00.  Then both early lunch and dinner customers could partake and he would have the drink trade also for snacks and drinks?  

3 minutes ago, gringal said:

... “Some people give up too soon: others don't give up easily, ever.

True. But some people care enough about other people not to drag them along on their never-ending quest for whatever they are looking for.  And, on that note, I am out of this thread.

2 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Also, does anyone have first hand knowledge that Bobby did not consultant and consider his staff?  One other thought, the one thing that Bobby may not have quite accepted or fully understood is his physical limitations (just like so many of us).  He may have truly believed that a 4 day work week was doable.  That being said I wish he would consider opening at 2:00 pm and closing at 7:00.  Then both early lunch and dinner customers could partake and he would have the drink trade also for snacks and drinks?  

The trouble is that 2 pm is a little late and 7pm is a little too early.   1pm to 8pm, plus getting ready time and closing up time is a long day.

Archived