Chapala.com Webboard

Bobby's prices

Al Berca

Bobby has posted pics and prices on FB for a couple items on his new menu at his soon to be new restaurant.

flour tortilla smaller than the dinner plate it was sitting on, oven baked with three cheeses and four salsas. He suggests it serves four cut into 8 small slices. 130 pesos.

appetizer salad: romaine lettuce, Caesar dressing, sprinkles of Mexican cheese, pieces of fried flour tortilla. 65 pesos.

195 pesos for appetizer and a small salad.

Can't wait for him to post entree, dessert and drink prices.

I was looking forward to his opening and being at least a semi regular customer, but at currently posted prices, this will have to be special occasion only for me. Disappointed.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it might not be the best idea to be posting those items just yet. If that is an actual photo of his salad, it's pretty sparse for 65p, and romaine is dirt cheap. And while he says he wants something "besides the tired old chips and salsa", I kinda love the chips and salsa as an opener. I wish they did that more often in restaurants in my home town instead of the tired old dry slices of bread and butter. Not to mention, it's usually complimentary, vs. a tiny quesadilla at $130p.

Who knows, maybe it will be absolutely amazingly delicious and worth every penny. I guess we'll have to reserve judgment.

Here's the link for those who have FaceBook. https://www.facebook.com/LaTerrazaAjijic/

What Bobby seems to be describing with the large flour tortilla with cheese topping sounds very much like a cheese crisp that we used to get in Arizona.  We asked him several times to try to duplicate this when he had Roberto's.  These are absolutely delicious and very much worth $130 pesos to us.  They are nothing like a quesadilla.  We are really looking forward to sampling the whole menu.  I also like the idea of cornbread and seasalt butter for the freebe starter.  We can get the chips and salsa freebe other places and it is nice to have a variety.

A Canadian restaurant's idea of a quesadilla usually looks exactly like that pictured. And as pointed out, it was 2/3 the size of a dinner plate. That's a standard tortilla size around here. Not so big.

Isn't this a little premature?  How about waiting until the dishes are available and try-able? I think Bobby got ahead of himself by posting prices this early on, too. Look what happened.😉

For one thing, cheese isn't just cheese, and the prices are all over the range from the kind of cheese you get in a McBurger to the memorable cheese you may get in a first quality quesadilla. I'm a cheese lover and that $130 peso item had better be good.  If it isn't,  I'll be one of the first to take mouse in hand and say so.

In his early posts on FB he talked a lot about Modern Mexican cuisine which he said was not being represented at Lakeside.  Caesar salad and cheese quesadillas are not what I expected.  

Had hoped for Modern Mexican along the lines of Nomada,  Jacinto 1930 and Aperi in SMA.  

But yes it is early and the entire menu has not been revealed.  

On 5/3/2018 at 4:19 AM, gringal said:

Isn't this a little premature?  How about waiting until the dishes are available and try-able? I think Bobby got ahead of himself by posting prices this early on, too. Look what happened.😉

For one thing, cheese isn't just cheese, and the prices are all over the range from the kind of cheese you get in a McBurger to the memorable cheese you may get in a first quality quesadilla. I'm a cheese lover and that $130 peso item had better be good.  If it isn't,  I'll be one of the first to take mouse in hand and say so.

I agree.  Also egg drop soup can be bland and just flavored water.  Or, it can be made from home made stock with careful attention to making the eggs tender and silky instead of rubbery and additions of spices to make it even more special such as ginger, cinnamon, miso, etc.  Then there's the portion size.  So, will reserve any negative comments until I have experienced the food.  

However, ComputetGuy, willingness to pay $200 pesos for soup is as much an exaggeration as calling egg drop soup merely flavored water,😃

Ah, very good, Wookie. Except I simply asked you how far you are willing to go, and I never called it flavoured water. But, you know, keep making this stuff up. It makes for great threads.

My stock is made from roasted chicken bones and skin. Degrease it and you don't need any additional seasoning needed for the stock. No just putting chicken meat in boiling water. That is not stock.

Well, ComputerGuy, since I can no longer find your post about the flavored water and saying I would probably pay $200 pesos for cream soup and to have at it ... I can't verify my memory so will take your word for it ... Oh I do remember you did say the flavored water had an egg in it,😂

26 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Well, ComputerGuy, since I can no longer find your post about the flavored water and saying I would probably pay $200 pesos for cream soup and to have at it ... I can't verify my memory so will take your word for it ... Oh I do remember you did say the flavored water had an egg in it,😂

image.gif.b2f4745c53c395d8bd27ccaac8eb9e1a.gifhttp://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/78914-chef-pians-new-thai-restaurant-in-ajijic/&do=findComment&comment=577829

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

My stock is made from roasted chicken bones and skin. Degrease it and you don't need any additional seasoning needed for the stock. No just putting chicken meat in boiling water. That is not stock.

I really don't need to post a recipe to explain myself. But since you mention it, I use as little skin as possible to keep the grease out, and I add a bay leaf, salt, pepper, and some garlic powder, along with any root veg I have (onions, carrots, celery, potato). That gets you a good broth. But look, broth is broth, you make it in gallons and it is dirt cheap.

And you can buy flavoured broth crystals at any Asian supply shop for almost nothing. Many restaurants use those instead of making their own broth.

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I really don't need to post a recipe to explain myself. But since you mention it, I use as little skin as possible to keep the grease out, and I add a bay leaf, salt, pepper, and some garlic powder, along with any root veg I have (onions, carrots, celery, potato). That gets you a good broth. But look, broth is broth, you make it in gallons and it is dirt cheap.

And you can buy flavoured broth crystals at any Asian supply shop for almost nothing. Many restaurants use those instead of making their own broth.

With all that, you are covering up the taste.   HAHAHAHAHA Just kidding.

Lots of favor from roasted skin. That is why I de-grease. Mine is stock and yours is a broth. There is a difference.

Be careful of broth crystals, too many have a lots of salt.

34 minutes ago, Tiny said:

With all that, you are covering up the taste.   HAHAHAHAHA Just kidding.

Lots of favor from roasted skin. That is why I de-grease. Mine is stock and yours is a broth. There is a difference.

Be careful of broth crystals, too many have a lots of salt.

When I want stock, I make sure I have extra fat. In fact, I just ordered one of these to make the job easier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTGIQ/?coliid=I3TFCU0DI888J&colid=2KEDG81O49WV2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

29 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

When I want stock, I make sure I have extra fat. In fact, I just ordered one of these to make the job easier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTGIQ/?coliid=I3TFCU0DI888J&colid=2KEDG81O49WV2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I always misplace the stopper.  I just use a little paper towel placed in the end.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Ah, that's is why there is another on there that comes with two stoppers. Good thinking.

Without a stopper there is not much difference. Without, the tube will fill up with a mixture of juice and grease. The grease will go to the top of the tube. You just pour that off first.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived