Chapala.com Webboard

My vehicle’s tire was purposely punctured

My vehicle’s tire was purposely punctured by a protruding custom made object that was removed from my tire.  My tire went flat while heading West on the Carretera after the Libramiento and before the stoplight at Pranzo Restaurant on Monday, April 30th at around noon.

A young clean cut fellow aged between 19 - 23 (I’m guessing he was about 5’ 7” 140 pounds - not a large fellow) tapped on my window unexpectedly and startled me as my vehicle was handling oddly.  He spoke to me in Spanish -  telling me my tire was flat and to pull over.  

I locked my doors and pulled over to the side into the bike lane on the tree lined Carretera in La Floresta.  

The fellow had a can of air in his hands.  He said he wanted to help me.  I told him that my husband was on his way and he should leave.  Fortunately, he did leave.

I wanted to share this because it gave me a reminder that we need to be aware and careful. 

My tire was punctured by a nasty looking modified sharpened object that was removed from my tire when I had it patched.  I believe only my vehicle was affected during my unfortunate incident.

9 minutes ago, Lucky23 said:

My tire was punctured by a nasty looking modified sharpened nail that was removed from my tire when I had it patched.  I believe only my vehicle was affected during my unfortunate incident.

Where were you parked  prior to you finding the problem maybe  Walmart or Maybe the cinema??

Well, I’m pretty certain that I ran over the modified sharp object and it immediately punctured my tire.  

The fellow was also roadside with a can of air alerting me about my flat tire.

I believe lakeside's question pertains to where this guy would have punctured your tire before you left wherever it was. Doubtful that he tossed it in the road and waited for some random car to possibly get nailed by it. All while standing there with a can of air.

Unless you're suggesting he didn't do it on purpose, in which case why post the story, right?

I am sharing my story because I am hopeful that reading about my experience will genuinely help some stranger who may find themselves in the unexpected situation that I found myself in.  As I reflect on what happened - I believe that someone was looking to take advantage of me and likely rob me.  I am just fortunate that the guy left when I asked him to.

If I had read about this type of “set up” before it happened to me then I would have been less rattled by the event.  I’ve read about the “mustard trick” where someone spills some mustard on you and then they try to help you by “wiping up the mess” while the person pick pockets or robs you.  I believe this type of thing is similar.

I was asked where I was parked prior to the flat.

My last stop was at the ATM next to DormiMundo across from Walmart before my vehicle’s tire went flat.  

Perhaps I was targeted from leaving the ATM and he knew or guessed which way I was driving when I left the ATM.  Perhaps he managed at the exact moment my tire went flat to tap on my window.  Perhaps there was more than one person involved in my situation.

I suppose this event also encourages me to be more aware when it comes to the ATM.  

I don’t know exactly how or where the imbedded object in my tire got there.  I don’t believe my vehicle would have smoothly traveled from the ATM to where it went flat.  I believe the fellow with the can of air put the modified sharp nail like object firmly in the road and I ran over it and then my tire went flat.  However, I have no background in how vehicle’s handle when one’s tire is pierced.  

Either way, I simply wish to help strangers understand this type of thing happened to me and to be aware of how one would react if it happened to “them.”   My advice would be roll up your windows and lock your car doors and do not accept help from some stranger.  Also be sure to have your cell phone in the car.  

44 minutes ago, Lucky23 said:

“Unless you're suggesting he didn't do it on purpose, in which case why post the story, right?

I am sharing my story because I am hopeful that reading about my experience will genuinely help some stranger who may find themselves in the unexpected situation that I found myself in.  As I reflect on what happened - I believe that someone was looking to take advantage of me and likely rob me.  I am just fortunate that the guy left when I asked him to.

If I had read about this type of “set up” before it happened to me then I would have been less rattled by the event.  I’ve read about the “mustard trick” where someone spills some mustard on you and then they try to help you by “wiping up the mess” while the person pick pockets or robs you.  I believe this type of thing is similar.

I was asked where I was parked prior to the flat.

My last stop was at the ATM next to DormiMundo across from Walmart before my vehicle’s tire went flat.  

Perhaps I was targeted from leaving the ATM and he knew or guessed which way I was driving when I left the ATM.  Perhaps he managed at the exact moment my tire went flat to tap on my window.  Perhaps there was more than one person involved in my situation.

I suppose this event also encourages me to be more aware when it comes to the ATM.  

I don’t know exactly how or where the imbedded object in my tire got there.  I don’t believe my vehicle would have smoothly traveled from the ATM to where it went flat.  I believe the fellow with the can of air put the modified sharp nail like object firmly in the road and I ran over it and then my tire went flat.

Either way, I simply wish to help strangers understand this type of thing happened to me and to be aware of how one would react if it happened to “them.”   My advice would be roll up your windows and lock your car doors and do not accept help from some stranger.  Also be sure to have your cell phone in the car.  

Thank you for mentioning where you had stopped prior to the tire going flat. I would "speculate" that you were targeted at the ATM machine.

Your story is similar to those people who reported their experiences some time ago, when parked in Sam's, Walmart parking in Guad. After a short distance after leaving tire would go flat and behold a person would miraculous show up to assist you to change the tire...meantime your handbag etc would vanish from your front seat!!!

Thank you for sharing

Hi Lakeside7,

Thank you for your follow up post.

Now I understand the relevance of your question about where I was parked before my flat tire.   I really wanted to think it was random but I can speculate that I was targeted leaving the ATM.  

Folks, just be aware and careful.  Now I have a new level of vigilance for myself.

11 hours ago, Lucky23 said:

My vehicle’s tire was purposely punctured by a protruding custom made object imbedded in the road.

7 hours ago, Lucky23 said:

I don’t know exactly how or where the imbedded object in my tire got there.

Which is it?

Does paranoia run in your family?

9 hours ago, Lucky23 said:

“Unless you're suggesting he didn't do it on purpose, in which case why post the story, right?

Sorry, you took the rhetorical question as my answer to your post, when actually I was assisting in your understanding why lakeside 7 made her post. That was the important part. And now you have probably hit on the answer: One guy in the parking area punctured your tire and signalled to the other guy across the intersection who was holding the can of air, that the chosen car was coming. That's how someone managed to be right by you when it happened.

My advice would be roll up your windows and lock your car doors and do not accept help from some stranger.

This makes me sad. One of the delights of living here is the willing hands of strangers always ready to stop and help. I hope we do not become so fearful and suspicious that we reject the kindnesses that happen all the time, more often than the schemers, scammers, and thieves. We do need to be vigilant and aware. In this case, a guy with a can of air by the side of the road just as your tire goes flat should raise red flags and signal danger. But, every helping hand is not malicious, and I hope we do not begin to think it is.

It is not uncommon for “spotters“ to hang out near ATMs and relay information on individuals having just withdrawn a wad of cash.  Note that individuals are much more likely to become victims.  As such, it may be wise to recruit a friend whenever you need to visit an ATM. An extra pair of eyes, and the presence of a second person will deter most scammers and muggers, etc.

We used that very same ATM regularly, for years, since it opened. Frequently, there would be someone just sitting in the lobby, with a celphone in hand, and I always made it a point to make eye contact with them. We also made it a habit to visit the ATM together, rather than alone.

30 minutes ago, Xena said:

My advice would be roll up your windows and lock your car doors and do not accept help from some stranger.

This makes me sad. One of the delights of living here is the willing hands of strangers always ready to stop and help. I hope we do not become so fearful and suspicious that we reject the kindnesses that happen all the time, more often than the schemers, scammers, and thieves. We do need to be vigilant and aware. In this case, a guy with a can of air by the side of the road just as your tire goes flat should raise red flags and signal danger. But, every helping hand is not malicious, and I hope we do not begin to think it is.

I would like to know how you tell the difference. Just take a chance and if you pick wrong, tough? Or be wary of strangers bearing gifts? Help.

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well said. One of the beauties of the Mexican people is their friendliness and willingness to help strangers.

I'm sure that must have been the intention of this "air" guy. and he was treated so rudely/. WoW !

11 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

It is not uncommon for “spotters“ to hang out near ATMs and relay information on individuals having just withdrawn a wad of cash.  Note that individuals are much more likely to become victims.  As such, it may be wise to recruit a friend whenever you need to visit an ATM. An extra pair of eyes, and the presence of a second person will deter most scammers and muggers, etc.

We used that very same ATM regularly, for years, since it opened. Frequently, there would be someone just sitting in the lobby, with a celphone in hand, and I always made it a point to make eye contact with them. We also made it a habit to visit the ATM together, rather than alone.

That is what makes living in Mexico safer than NOB. All the extra security measures and precautions needed here to survive here. Viva Mexico !

That is what makes living in Mexico safer than NOB. All the extra security measures and precautions needed here to survive here. Viva Mexico !” Yes. Because no one is ever robbed at an ATM in the U.S. in fact no one is burgled, robbed, or mugged in the U.S. either. 

44 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

I'm sure that must have been the intention of this "air" guy. and he was treated so rudely/. WoW !

That is what makes living in Mexico safer than NOB. All the extra security measures and precautions needed here to survive here. Viva Mexico !

Always love your blanket statements and judgments. Texas must be a helluva place to get along in. However, based on your comments in this thread, none of us are clear as to whether you are being sarcastic or sincere. Maybe you are not sure yourself.

“I would like to know how you tell the difference. Just take a chance and if you pick wrong, tough? Or be wary of strangers bearing gifts? Help.

Sometimes, as in this case, the answer is clear to me. Lock your doors and wave them off. Actually, I lock my doors whenever I get in my car. I did that when I lived in the States too. It is just safer. I think other times it would be just as clear that the intention is to help. However, there are those times when things are not as clear cut. Then we do have a choice to make. It is far simpler to just trust no one, always expect the worst, and reject all offers of help. That is not a way I choose to go through my life but I know people who do. That is what they need to feel safe. 

Some years back I'm coming home from Guad in a heavy, heavy rainstorm. You know the scene: traffic backed up due to flooding as far as you can see. Then the little car I was in dropped a foot as we drove over a patch of road that had just... disappeared, under the water.

Our windows were done up tight. Then, a knock on the passenger side window. Oh, no! Eight guys trying to rob us! Or... maybe... nope, they all piled out of their pickup truck and lifted the whole damn car out of the hole. I haven't worried since.

Comon sense rules. The thing is here, common sense only goes so far. Someone is always coming up with a new scam, that takes us by surprise. And newbies get caught. In this case, the OP was right to do what she did, but that certainly does not mean she needs to live her life in fear.

Archived