Chapala.com Webboard

AJIJIC POST OFFICE/CORRERES (?)

You are not experiencing anything new. It is common practice here to assume your CFE and TelMex bills will not come on time, if at all. Just like checking out the level in your gas storage tank, it's up to you. And knowing that on tourist weekends you should always get your cash at the ATM before the celebrations start, and fill up your car, because they used to go empty regularly. And still do sometimes, as in the past few weeks.

But both outfits have offices where you can find out exactly what your bill is, as well as (even better) Web pages where you can actually print a copy. No guesswork needed. I get notified via email for both.

16 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

We still haven't recieved our CFE bill for this 2 month billing period and the Telmex bill that arrived monday was due on the 20th.of April... something definitely wrong at the post office. Since I know approximately what the bill amounts would be, I paid at the ATM, or I would have been late.

Now you have part of the idea why it is cheaper to live in Mexico. The government can not afford the level of service you are use to or expect.

1 minute ago, sm1mex said:

We haven't gotten our CFE bill for the last 2 billing cycles and still haven't gotten our phone bill this month that was due last week. ???

That is likely not the fault of the post office. Those bills are not always mailed. Sometimes they are dropped off under the gate, not even In envelopes. Other times they have obviously gone through the mail. Of course, sometimes they are delivered past the payment date — or not at all. I keep a small balance with CFE just in case. Telmex is always due the 3rd of the month so sometimes I have to go to the office and pay there. 

Xena, Telmex is NOT necessarily due on 3rd of month -- depends where you are in the system.  For example we are due on 20th.

And to all, when our CFE bill did not come in April and I was unsuccessful in getting balance on line, I called 071 and the nice lady emailed me a copy!! (Yes, you need Spanish to accomplish this)  Of course, after using that printout to pay, the "real" bill showed up the next day --- 0NE day before our due date (which might not be yours)🙂

It is rather foolish to expect to receive Telmex or CFE bills in a dependable fashion. It is even more foolish to fail to pay on time, with or without a current bill.  Service can, and will be turned off & then your headaches really begin.

It is quite easy to mark your calendar with the appropriate due dates, and simply make the payment at the appropriate office before that date.  CFE has handy machines for that purpose, and Telmex only needs your phone number to look up your balance.  What is so hard about that?

Xena was undoubtedly referring to her own due date, but I am sure she is happy to receive proper instruction from all the grown ups.

RV, pretty preachy. I'd prefer to look at it as if were are offering advice to newcomers, not patronization.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Xena was undoubtedbly referring to her own due date, but I am sure she is happy to receive proper instruction from all the grown ups.

RV, pretty preachy. I'd prfer to look at it as if were are offering advice to newcomers, not patronization.

Thanks, CG. I assumed everyone knows that Telmex staggers billing dates, but guess I should have said “My Telmex bill” to be absolutely clear. 

In the spirit of offering advice to newcomers: Telmex shutting off your phone is not a big deal. You just go pay it and the phone is back on before you get home. CFE is a whole other story. They make you suffer! For the record, I have had my phone turned off once in the early days before I knew sometimes bills don’t show up. I have never had electric shut off. I learned from others’ mistakes.

Yes very early on in our "Ajijic adventure" our power was cut off since we did not get a bill and did not yet understand,haha. They come and actually remove your meter, the guy was very polite and apologetic. Fortunately our Maestro, Luis Romero , was there and just tapped into the power line with some wires and into our box so only minutes without juice. He warned us they would charge a hefty reconnect fee so not to go to Chapala to arrange reconnect until we had gotten 6-$800 pesos worth. When in Rome.... so that's exactly what we did and never let it go unpaid again. Ya gotta love Mexico, that's only one of many similar stories of how in Mexico there are usually many different ways of getting things done.

When we don't get our bill, we go to the CFE office in Chapala and punch in our account number (from an old bill) and the amount due will come up and you deposit the pesos.  Beware, the machine says only 40 pesos return change, so don't put in big bills.  Have small bills and some coins.

As was posted above, it is real easy to check your account on line and see what you owe any day of the year

Just go to the CFE web page and work your way in. here is a hint

https://app.cfe.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/Recibos/Consulta/

When I enter that, I go directly to my latest bill. I had already entered my account number years ago, etc and It takes me to a Pdf of my latest bill which, of course I have to open it using Adobe Acrobat software

8 minutes ago, johanson said:

As was posted above, it is real easy to check your account on line and see what you owe any day of the year

Just go to the CFE web page and work your way in. here is a hint

https://app.cfe.mx/Aplicaciones/CCFE/Recibos/Consulta/

When I enter that, I go directly to my latest bill. I had already entered my account number years ago, etc and It takes me to a Pdf of my latest bill which, of course I have to open it using Adobe Acrobat software

Does Telemex have on-line access? Is there a list of on-line access and phone numbers of utilities somewhere?

55 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Does Telemex have on-line access? Is there a list of on-line access and phone numbers of utilities somewhere?

Yes, go to mitelmex.com and sign up.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes, go to mitelmex.com and sign up.

My post was more about a list of address someone could be referred to. The is already a topic called "EMERGENCY & OTHER IMPORTANT NUMBERS".  Maybe someone could add web addresses to it.

Archived