Chapala.com Webboard

I just found out my ATV is a motorcycle.

New cops in Chapala, not looking for bribe (from me). First words were he was going to give me a ticket. Usually first words were "This is a very expensive ticket" and/or "I'm going to have to have your car towed.).

Cop says I went thru a rid light. Might have been since the lights by Soriana (Chapala). keep going out.

Then he looks at my license and says I need one for a motorcycle, and he shows me his license that clearly says "Motocycleta." I asked if I needed two licenses. Answer is yes.

Took the ticket and paid. I think he wrote me up for two violations; red light and no license. Cost, under $300.

Where in Chapala (address? can I get both my regular d/l renewed and one for a motorcycle?

I think I be needing a Spanish speaker with me. Si?

Why don't you go to the office on Degollado (you know where you renew your vehicle plates) and ask if your ATV is classified as a motorcycle. If it is then you need a motorcycle license.  Since licensing and renewals are done sporadically here you either have to wait until next time or go to GDL.

So you were riding a quatramoto?

I ride a moto and you do have to have a separate license for that.  Didn't think it was for anything other than two wheels though maybe a trike, could be possible.

I think the locals can write tickets now though.

I went to GDL to get it.  Because my TX license had a moto endorsement they did not require me to take their driving test.  I was assisted in renewing my car license and getting the moto license by Luzma and she made it fast and easy.  She is the one who negotiated the no driving test for the moto.

These were IMO, real cops in a "new" style pickup. They gave me a paper ticket and I took it ti DMV (where I register my cars) and paid and was given a official receipt.

I really need to find out if I need a motorcycle license. I sure don't want to go into Guadalajara,

Where in Chapala do I renew my Mx D.L?

It doesn't sound quite right.

It is a mystery when they will be doing new licenses and renewals in Chapala. There is usually just a last minute notice on the Chapala website. 

My source tells me: The Transito Municipal cannot yet, they are the ones on 4-wheelers and standing around. The Transitos in the trucks are state (federal) they can give tickets.
Federal cops can now as well, but have not received training yet.

7 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Cop says I went thru a rid light. Might have been since the lights by Soriana (Chapala). keep going out.

"Lights by Soriana" could be highway? Only lights I know in Chapala are on Madero, which become somewhere, ......somebody/everybody's jurisdiction?

Either way, not the point. Eric Blair needs to get licensed up. Supposedly there's another local event coming up for driver's licenses fairly soon. Check at the LOCAL Transito office, at the other stoplight by the lake. 

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

My source tells me: The Transito Municipal cannot yet, they are the ones on 4-wheelers and standing around. The Transitos in the trucks are state (federal) they can give tickets.
Federal cops can now as well, but have not received training yet.

The Municipio Transitos park one of their "trucks" every day in front of their office in the yellow on Hidalgo,old city hall. Any state trucks which are not "federal", that you see in town are passing through from their office and aren't allowed to ticket except on highways and not in any of the towns. There is still no announcement of when tickets can be issued by either one so somebody got mordidad in Chapala and   Federales can issue traffic tickets  and their trucks are dark blue and clearly marked as such but they are here for security and won't bother you for traffic violations.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Exactly my point: we don't know what kind of truck it was, do we.

Perhaps the OP can enlighten us in that respect because only Federales have the official authority to issue traffic tickets where he was given one and it's highly unlikely,under their mandate to operate here at present, that they would bother with such a picayune misdeed.

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It is unlikely. There are Federal cops that operate in each state, but why they would bother... the OP said "new cops", and I'd like to know what that means.

So would I, but speculation instead of facts seems to  be de rigueur on this board lately.

Archived