Chapala.com Webboard

Noise control experience

Gerry

Has anyone had experience in getting the authorities to respond to a violation of the Federal Noise control NOM-081-SEMARNAT-1994 which sets noise limits as 55dB between 6 am and 22 pm, 50 dB between 22 pm and 6.00 am. Can anyone recommend a lawyer with experience in this field.?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Gerry said:

Not very helpful if I might say. "Here we go again" - meaning what Gringo? "Third thread" where Justathought?

Because you're a newbie on this forum, I won't laugh or play games.  You can go to the search function at the top, look for threads on the subject of noise, the various efforts by others to do anything about it, the futility of having an unenforceable law about it and you will find a plethora of people having a LOT to say on the subject, over and over again. Check out easypeasy's long posts on it. In other words, it's been a popular subject over and over again on here.  Hope this helps.😉

1 hour ago, Gerry said:

Not very helpful if I might say. "Here we go again" - meaning what Gringo? "Third thread" where Justathought?

Sorry , I assumed since I gave you the title of the most recent question about noise, that you would type that into the search engine on this forum.  

However, BD and Gringal gave great suggestions !

3 minutes ago, Justathought said:

Sorry , I assumed since I gave you the title of the most recent question about noise, that you would type that into the search engine on this forum.  

However, BD and Gringal gave great suggestions !

Or have a party louder and longer than theirs.  😀

6 hours ago, Gerry said:

Has anyone had experience in getting the authorities to respond to a violation of the Federal Noise control NOM-081-SEMARNAT-1994 which sets noise limits as 55dB between 6 am and 22 pm, 50 dB between 22 pm and 6.00 am. Can anyone recommend a lawyer with experience in this field.?

Hi, Gerry. I have been posting the same questions and received some helpful suggestions, as well as some snide comments. Ignore the nasties and be grateful that there are some nice people on this forum. PM me, as I have some info that may helpful.

44 minutes ago, Gerry said:

Following up and thanking you for replying, how do I PM you?  Cyber bullies I don't wish to hear from you. Please go an see a therapist rather than spewing your vitriol  on the internet. 

It's not bullying. Some people need to culturally adjust.

The subject tends to bring out the snide for an understandable but subtle reason.  When people move from the U.S. or Canada to Mexico, they have, buried in their heads, notions of how things "should" be, and if they aren't that way, they know that back "home", there are ways to have situations corrected.  Mexicans are far more cynical and less inclined to confrontation. They shrug and put up with many things that we expats get excited about.  It takes years to adjust to "the way it is" and some people become so frustrated that they just give up and go "home" where they understand how the system works...or think they do.

When "newbies" arrive and get upset with things that aren't "right" or legal, the long-term expats who have adjusted and have stayed anyway can behave like some fourth year students toward the new crop; not very tolerant.  Thus, the laughs and the snarks.  Others do remember their newbie days and try to be helpful...up to a point.  If someone takes on the role of never-ending crusader for never-gonna-happen causes that only expats care passionately about, I'm gone. 😉

Gerry the reality is this law is only as good as the will to enforce it locally.  There have been a number of stories in the local (GDL) press about serious noise crackdowns on bars in Zapopan and Guadalajara by local officials there.  Here, sad to say, the local government seems to only compound the problem by handing out permits for these places in residential neighborhoods like candy.   

We have one on our block which at one point some neighbors, not us, tried to sue with no luck.  Fortunately they are getting beaten so badly by the competing noise factories that their business has gone way down and it has gotten a lot quieter.  The fact remains that as long as people are allowed to open up bars or bars masquerading as restaurants in the middle of residential areas in this municipio we are all going to continue to have this problem.

There is an election coming and what I am hearing on the street and in the news is that the voting population at all levels is getting sick of the corruption and impunity.  Some serious reform candidates are making a strong local showing so one can only hope.  For now, though, your best bet is to probably bide your time, get to know all your neighbors, explore all avenues of attack and assess whether they are willing to join with you in seeking redress.

One of the fallacies you will see repeated here frequently is this notion that this sort of thing is a fixture of Mexican culture.  Loud periodic usually private party or important religious/national holiday celebration most certainly is but noisy, over amplified bars playing gringo music night after night to gringos is a local phenomenon driven by a combination of a large snowbird population and a "to heck with the community" attitude among too many gringo locals who are in denial about the nuisance they support or how it could affect them personally at some point.

With few exceptions most of those who profess this attitude live well away from the nuisances they support (for now) or just may be deaf.  :D

You just have to ignore these attitudes and press on.  There have been some wins, not many, but it can happen.  We would still be living in a graffiti covered town had some of us not simply refused to take a defeatist attitude towards this form of blight.  Noise blight is in many ways worse as it invades into the interior of peoples' homes.  The examples I cited above show these noise merchants can be controlled if people are willing to step up.  Good luck with your fight and BTW I do have a dedicated noise meter which you can borrow if it will help.  PM me.

1 hour ago, Gerry said:

Following up and thanking you for replying, how do I PM you?  Cyber bullies I don't wish to hear from you. Please go an see a therapist rather than spewing your vitriol  on the internet. 

To PM someone, either hover over their name and click on Message when you get the pop up.  Or, go to the top of the forum page and click on the envelope on the upper right of screen, and click on Compose New.  

An idea I am floating in the Mexican community is that politicians care nothing about the public. All they care about is money. I.E. the regidor candidate for Ajijic for the current admin is from Guadalajara. Candidates are going to be asked what quality of life moves will they put in writing in anticipation of getting the public's votes.

35 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Bingo!!

And for those who are unaware of it, you know of what you speak since you're the one who spearheaded the anti-graffiti project and were seen with a paint can doing the job, too. 

On the noise subject, there's the good news that if La Bodega served better food, they'd have even more gringos and more noise, si?😎

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

One of the fallacies you will see repeated here frequently is this notion that this sort of thing is a fixture of Mexican culture.  Loud periodic usually private party or important religious/national holiday celebration most certainly is but noisy, over amplified bars playing gringo music night after night to gringos is a local phenomenon driven by a combination of a large snowbird population and a "to heck with the community" attitude among too many gringo locals who are in denial about the nuisance they support or how it could affect them personally at some point.

Speaking of fallacies,the vast majority of musicians who play what you call gringo music are Mexicans and in most venues that they play in the vast majority of patrons are Mexicans.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmHemqFRDo. Perhaps before you speak of something you should get out more to avoid fallacies. Thanks to my friend I know this band well and as a token Canadian they even let my friend play with them sometimes. do you see even one gringo in that bar listening to them play gringo music?

Angela. The loud noises do not bother me. But there are laws which control where and how loud the music may be.  Are you saying if the laws are being broken that you should adapt or go back where you came from?

I have a better idea. Why not check with you Spanish speaking neighbors (I speak Spanish with an accent) and see what they would do. Or see whether the noise is bothering them too. Then you could cooperate with your Mexican neighbors rather than leaving.

That seems to be a much more logical solution than what you are suggesting.

3 minutes ago, johanson said:

But there are laws which control where and how loud the music may be.

There are stop signs, speed limit signs, and double yellow stretches of highway too. They are equally ignored, like the OP by the local populace.

I can only think that those gringoes who believe that Mexicans in general are totally okay with music amped at ear-splitting decibel level, especially during hours when working people sleep, do not speak enough Spanish to talk to locals to understand that while the young crowd may think it's great, the middle-aged and elderly generally do not. Nor do mothers with babies- the babies seem to sleep right through it, but the mom's are kept awake and then have to get up with the baby at 5 AM. Sure, they like a good fiesta. But I've noticed that family fiestas, i.e. weddings, quince-años, and birthdays usually have nice traditional or modern-day balladeers music earlier in the evening for the older crowd, then grandma and grandpa may go home to bed and the music is more raucous for the young folks.

Insanely amplified music is not "traditional". And it is not just a pain in the butt, it is causes permanent damage to everyone's hearing, including your Mexican neighbors.

Archived