Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy prefab windows w/ black frames?

Surely there is a store a la Home Depot/Lowe's that sells black aluminum-frame windows, pre-made in standard sizes.  This is Mexico, not Florida.  I use the aluminum guys for custom sizes on an existing opening, but in this situation I am building a wall first, so I can go with the cheaper prefab.

Thanks.

I have made purchases at HD thinking this would be a cost savings Selection very li ited and frames .ight and cheap,k(

Maybe marginal savings but the  follow "problems". Storing frames in a save location to protect glass breakage. Masons seem to have "difficulty " in making thole precisely tp frame size. Much easier for window  guy to  make windows to match the hole size

Thanks, Lakeside7, for sharing your firsthand experience. Yeah, I hear you about the masons.....I just had 4 holes made by my maestro,  all supposed to be a meter square. Ha ha ha.  

Makes me incredulous to see all that "primitive" Incan stonework so finely crafted and without mortar, with spaces so tight that you can't slip a piece of paper into the cracks.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, kimanjome said:

Surely there is a store a la Home Depot/Lowe's that sells black aluminum-frame windows, pre-made in standard sizes.  This is Mexico, not Florida.  I use the aluminum guys for custom sizes on an existing opening, but in this situation I am building a wall first, so I can go with the cheaper prefab.

Thanks.

Your best bet for fine windows to fit is Joel Romero who just finished a job for me today.

joel.romero.vidrio@hotmail.com      telephone 333-139-4343

On 5/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, Tomas said:

What is Joel's location, Ajijic, Chapala, etc..Address, if available..TIA

Thanks. Does Joel have a fabrica, or samples of his work? We just got totally screwed over by a guy who was said to be a pro, but it turned out he knew very little, messed up the windows we already had, and stole some of my husband's power tools on top of it all!

Question: not trying to penny pinch, but trying to get a fair price, because the quotes I have received thus far seem really high.

Window is 1 m * 1 m square, 1 pane of 3 mm glass, with screen. I have been quoted $250 USD per window. If I want to use 9 mm glass prices goes up to $300 per window. 

Why does a window that size cost so much, but a full size iron & glass door cost only $400? I thought iron was considerably more expensive.

1 hour ago, kimanjome said:

Thanks. Does Joel have a fabrica, or samples of his work? We just got totally screwed over by a guy who was said to be a pro, but it turned out he knew very little, messed up the windows we already had, and stole some of my husband's power tools on top of it all!

Question: not trying to penny pinch, but trying to get a fair price, because the quotes I have received thus far seem really high.

Window is 1 m * 1 m square, 1 pane of 3 mm glass, with screen. I have been quoted $250 USD per window. If I want to use 9 mm glass prices goes up to $300 per window. 

Why does a window that size cost so much, but a full size iron & glass door cost only $400? I thought iron was considerably more expensive.

I did not go to his store as he was recommended. I called he came and was cheaper than my other bids by quite a lot. My job was a difficult pie shape of 6mm dark timted glass. I am very happy with his work.

Archived