Chapala.com Webboard

Layover from USA in GDL

PDX-mom

I will be flying from the US to CUN with a layover in GDL. I've never done this route before...

1) what will customs/immigration be like?

2) will I need to collect my checked baggage then recheck it for the flight to CUN? (6 hr layover, same airline)

3) any suggestions to pass the time on my super long layover?

4)on the return from CUN, will I need to collect my checked baggage in GDL, go through some sort of security, then recheck my bags (again, same airline, shorter layover 😄 )

Lots of questions, sorry, but thanks for any help you can provide. I LOVE researching for upcoming trips!

1) Off the plane walking inside to big area w/several IMN agents/cubicles. Present Passport & filled out FMM form. They stamp and give u your Tourist Card. Quick unless several planes landed simultaneously.  Continue walking to luggage carousel and then towards exit....stopping to “push button” for red light/green light. Then exit bowels into the terminal proper.  

3) Just how long is a “super long” layover? 

• 3 weeks later...

I know when of no way to claim baggage in customs and recheck it without going to airlines counter to do so.  I assume you are flying from PDX so probably on Volaris and connecting on Volaris.  Good and bad news is that a good part of your 6 hours will be spent standing in line to go through immigration, waiting for him your luggage to finally appear in the conveyer belt, lining up to go through customs, then walking to almost the far end of the terminal and then standing in another slow line to recheck your luggage, then going through security.  That should kill a good bit of your 6 hours.

5 hours ago, bdlngton said:

I know when of no way to claim baggage in customs and recheck it without going to airlines counter to do so.  I assume you are flying from PDX so probably on Volaris and connecting on Volaris.  Good and bad news is that a good part of your 6 hours will be spent standing in line to go through immigration, waiting for him your luggage to finally appear in the conveyer belt, lining up to go through customs, then walking to almost the far end of the terminal and then standing in another slow line to recheck your luggage, then going through security.  That should kill a good bit of your 6 hours.

That is supposed to read: I know of no way . . .

For your long layover in GDL there are several restaurants where you could kill some time. I agree that you will need to claim your bags and go through immigration and customs  at GDL as your "first port of entry" in Mexico.

Going back I "think" you will be able to check your bags through to your "first port of entry" in the U.S. 

Archived