Chapala.com Webboard

Tacos al Pastor - where?

ComputerGuy

Living in Riberas, I don't have a plaza or much night-time circulation at all these days. And daytime driving to appointments isn't conducive to searching for tacos, most stands of which come out at dusk.

I recall a tacos al pastor cart on the Ajijic plaza in the evenings some years ago when I frequented that area, but I don't know if they are even still there. Anyone else been around who would know some locations?

I was going to just around the corner but it is a little drive for you. hahaha

Strictly as a backup, Walmart sells a package of carne al pastor. I usually have a couple of packages on hand in the freezer but I need a Walmart run. When I restock, I will send a pic of the package.

Fry it with some pineapple (canned is fine) for some good tacos. Of course, It is going to be different that the stand. More like homemade style.

2 hours ago, liquipure said:

SW corner of Carreterra and Aldama in Ajijic is a very popular taco stand, always busy and apparently open all day.

If you are referring to the cart...that is Francisco’s and I think he is only open 830am until early afternoon. Always busy

59 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Tiny, Is this the Su Karne brand? Always good, and thanks, but I'm looking' fer the rill thang.

Please say that you are looking for the the taco stand rotisserie style instead of the "til thang". hahahaha

I believe carne al pastor was made in a frying pan long before the rotisserie.  😀

No, it is a popular and very traditional Middle Eastern method of cooking; frequently with thin sliced lamb or beef.  It probably came to Mexico with the Conquistadores.  In Turkish, it is called “Doner Kebab“, or cooked while turning.

Here it is almost always pork, although in the big cities they do experiment. Several TV shows on worldly food that I have seen recently show chef "experts" and long-time practicioners discussing its arrival with Lebanese immigrants in the late 19th/early 20th century. In fact, watching these shows is what has got me looking.

It appears those who frequent this site do not have answer, so I will talk amongst the natives.

I saw a sign, in RIBERAS, that appeared to show an al Pastor, rotisserie-style photo, hanging on a building, mountain side of carretera, middle of Riberas. No real landmark I can think of but probably between Mom's and 7/11, again, mountainside. I'll be driving by it, probably tomorrow or next day, and try to confirm if that's what it is, etc.

Travis, thanks, I found it. Smack across the highway from the new Pemex. I saw the restaurant sign go up long ago, but al pastor wasn't one of the bigger items on the list. Once I took a good squint, I could see it listed. Actually looks like an interesting menu, and I will be trying it soon. If it is any good, could not ask for a better location... for me.

Makes sense that's where it's located since I go to Physical Therapy by Mom's. Haven't ever been on the lateral for a closer look at menu, just caught the big photo out of the corner of my eye while driving past. Looked like maybe al Pastor rotisserie in photo. No idea if it's any good or when it's open. Glad you located it.

20180425_204718.thumb.jpg.da8de738f444f6a2545924a3d8e7ae15.jpgWe were just there.  Tacos al pastor.  They have a special of 10 tacos for 80 pesos.  That's enough for 2 people.  It was very good.  I love the bit of pineapple added at the end.  No cerveza though, so if you want a beer you could get one across the street.  The taqueria is located across the street from Pemex and opens at 6:30pm.

20180425_211835.jpg

Just drove by this place at about noon today (Sunday) and noticed it was open. So drove in and ordered tacos para llevar.

The blackboard menu offered gorditas and tacos at 18 p each. (Didn't see any special of 10 for 80 p.)

Didn't see anything al pastor.

menu offered:  picadillo; bistec--acada/adobado; frijoles con chorizo; papas con chorizo/queso;  chicharron.

The horchata fresca was good.

I ordered 6 tacos. 3 picadillo, 3 bistec to go. Hand-made corn tortillas were good, fillings were nothing special. 

Service was pleasant, all in Spanish only.

If someone goes and finds things really good that I missed out on, hope to hear from you.

Lexy

6 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

What are their hours?

I., Av. Francisco Ignacio Madero 378, San Miguel, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

Sunday
  • 2PM–12AM

Monday
  • 2PM–12AM

Tuesday
(Labor Day)
  • 2PM–12AM
Hours might differ

Wednesday
  • 2PM–12AM

Thursday
  • 2PM–12AM

Friday
  • 2PM–12AM

Saturday
  • 2PM–12AM

Friday
  • 2PM–12AM

Saturday
  • 2PM–12AM

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:
I., Av. Francisco Ignacio Madero 378, San Miguel, 45900 Chapala, Jal.

Sunday
  • 2PM–12AM

Monday
  • 2PM–12AM

Tuesday
(Labor Day)
  • 2PM–12AM
Hours might differ

Wednesday
  • 2PM–12AM

Thursday
  • 2PM–12AM

Friday
  • 2PM–12AM

Saturday
  • 2PM–12AM

Friday
  • 2PM–12AM

Saturday
  • 2PM–12AM

Thank you for spelling it out for me. So basically 2PM to 12AM everyday, right?  HAAHHAHAHA  😀

Left a big party in the village last night at about 10 pm,walking back to our car, came upon the most atmospheric cafe. .littlle or no light ,every table full. As a chef I was immediately interested ,as I watched the cook was carefully rotating a full pastor over a  charcoal fire..the smell was amazing...can’t wait to try. Location....2..3 doors...west of....5th Febrero..on Hidalgo. “”Long time no see”...no name !

9 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

as I watched the cook was carefully rotating a full pastor over a  charcoal fire..

I have not seen it done over a charcoal fire here, just a gas flame. Was the pastor on its side?

The thing that the al pastor meat is cooked on is called a trompo.  It's always done over gas, not over charcoal.  As Computer Guy said, it came to Mexico with the Lebanese in the early part of the 20th century.  It's made of thinly sliced pork, marinated in a kind of adobo and piled slice by slice onto the trompo to make the conical shape.  The conical al pastor is roasted as you order it, so that the edges are crispy.  It's sliced very very thin directly onto a tortilla or two--the small taco-size tortillas--and a thin slice of the pineapple atop the trompo is whacked off the top in such a way that it flies through the air and lands on your taco.  The person who is preparing and cooking the al pastor meat is called a pastorero, which requires a particular skill and is highly competitive. 

In the second and fourth photos you can easily see how the meat is stacked and where the gas hits it as the pastorero rotates the trompo.  

Tacos Franc 2 Tacos al Pastor MC.jpg

Rose Tacos al Pastor.jpg

El Farolito Tacos al Pastor 2.jpg

Tacos al Pastor Calle Uruguay DF.jpg

Archived