Chapala.com Webboard

M & J Pizza's New Location

Bisbee Gal

La Huerta is an area just west of Ajijic.  There's a residential development down near the lake with the same name (means orchard in English).  Up on the carretera there is a shopping strip where one of the stores calls itself the La Huerta tienda or mercado...in the same center as Pacifica fish market at one end and The Brew House on the other end.  To add further confusion, there is an eventos place that I believe is also called La Huerta that hosts the Tuesday Market which is farther west than the strip shopping center I described.  

I think their new location is going to be at the old "Pepe and Aurora's", or more recently, "La Bambola" (or something like that). Further west than La Huerta, mountain side of carretera, orangish / terra-cotta colored building all by itself, near Via Lucerna. Spoke to Josh a few days ago. He said they are hoping to move in a couple of weeks.

Hope this info is accurate and that all goes well for them.

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

I think their new location is going to be at the old "Pepe and Aurora's", or more recently, "La Bambola" (or something like that). Further west than La Huerta, mountain side of carretera, orangish / terra-cotta colored building all by itself, near Via Lucerna. Spoke to Josh a few days ago. He said they are hoping to move in a couple of weeks.

Hope this info is accurate and that all goes well for them.

I'd like to see them move to that location:  It's roomier and has a better parking situation.  Here's wishing them well.

45 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd like to see them move to that location:  It's roomier and has a better parking situation.  Here's wishing them well.

I wish them success, but I don't see them getting the level of business they got at their current location from foot traffic, especially during high season when a percentage of short-term visitors make do without vehicles.  But if they continue with deliveries that may be a moot point.  

I think they got a lot of walk-in customers from Nueva Posada and the nearby B&Bs.  

It's a no-win location for them, I'm afraid. Yes, more people are living west of town. Yes, more restaurants are opening. And no, the last two places there got almost no business. If they can survive on business from that side of town, fantastic. I won't be going there, and I love their pizza. I live in Riberas. Even Pancho is moving to Riberas and west of town.

We were thrilled to see a pizza place centrally located, as I recall. That they were really good AND delivered too, how great. Now they too are ending up way, way west. Bye bye to some of their customers.

Lexy

17 hours ago, Lexy said:

We were thrilled to see a pizza place centrally located, as I recall. That they were really good AND delivered too, how great. Now they too are ending up way, way west. Bye bye to some of their customers.

Lexy

They should do fine in west Ajijic. We love their pizza, but their location is too small and waaaay too hot inside. The new location is great with parking and outdoor seating. They may be loosing some of their walk ins, but many people don’t want to drive into Ajijic. They will have many new customers.

35 minutes ago, el bartman said:

Great location with decent parking.   Perry's business picked up 10 fold when he got out of the garage in the village.   I absolutely hate driving into the village and think Joyfull and Gringal are spot on.

Getting to and from that location is hell during the weekend due to the Tapitios coming  from  and returning  to Guadalajara,  bumper to bumper , you can walk on the car roof faster

I have never had trouble parking where M&J is now. Not since Number Four closed up shop, and that was long before the pizza place opened.

Geez, I love the village. It's one of the reasons I ended up here. Granted, traffic and tapatias are making it overcrowded, but I still love the village.

Computer Guy Says "Geez, I love the village. It's one of the reasons I ended up here. Granted, traffic and tapatias are making it overcrowded, but I still love the village."

I second that and will miss M & J but will remain happy in the village.

•  

20 hours ago, Joyfull said:

They should do fine in west Ajijic. We love their pizza, but their location is too small and waaaay too hot inside. The new location is great with parking and outdoor seating. They may be loosing some of their walk ins, but many people don’t want to drive into Ajijic. They will have many new customers.

People--I was lamenting my loss. I live nearby in Mirasol. They were nearby and they delivered. Of course they'll do well going west. Of course they'll get new customers. Of course all of you out there will be happy they're closer to you now.

Lexy

21 hours ago, Joyfull said:

2 hours ago, Lexy said:

People--I was lamenting my loss. I live nearby in Mirasol. They were nearby and they delivered. Of course they'll do well going west. Of course they'll get new customers. Of course all of you out there will be happy they're closer to you now.

Lexy

You never know what surprises life brings so think positive....

Other than weekends when it's a zoo going west;  once you're not within walking distance...what's a few more driving miles?  From the crowds attending the Tuesday market, it looks like the drive isn't a problem and the new location is very nearby.  Who knows?  They may deliver.

On 4/26/2018 at 5:16 PM, lakeside7 said:

Getting to and from that location is hell during the weekend due to the Tapitios coming  from  and returning  to Guadalajara,  bumper to bumper , you can walk on the car roof faster

No different than trying to park near the old location with all the Tapatios in town for the weekend.

Again, I raise my eyebrows at this: I never had a problem parking there, any day of the week or weekend. Most times, I can park right out front, height of the dinner hour. Traffic issues? Hidalgo restaurants, any day, any time.

What these guys are unfortunately going to lose is walk-in traffic from the Posada and a couple of the nearby B&B places.

13 hours ago, gringal said:

So what's the major advantage of the new location?  SPACE.  The former location was small, with uncomfortable seating.  The parking issue seems to be debatable.

To me the major advantage is that the new location will be cooler. The village location is so hot from the oven inside that we only had delivery or did pick up. It will be nice to get a hot pizza out of the oven while sitting outside with some elbow room. 

Archived